Sponsored

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
one more thing to add....the stock hitch receiver that comes with the factory tow package is a class II hitch. By all means upgrade to a class III hitch. The Class II hitch is rated 3500/350, BUT, when you compare the two hitches, the factory Class II is anemic compared to the weight/build of a Class III hitch. I switched mine out before I ever towed my camper. The Curt model is rated at 4000/400 when using a weight distribution hitch....and yes, I know that does not mean the Jeep towing capacity is then raised to 4000/400, but I just feel much better with the beefier Curt Class III hitch. the difference in weight and quality is very visible. Another great option is the Draw Tite brand.
Sponsored

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Great info here everyone, thanks much! I was seriously thinking of downsizing my camper so we could just haul it with the Wrangler but it would be a big change for us ;) Still considering this but I haven't figured out how to do Kayaks (safari rack?) + be able to drop the bikini top. Maybe some type of roof rack on a smaller camper?
Jeep Wrangler JL Towing a Camper Cross-Country with a JLU RamCamper2

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Another great mod for towing with a wrangler.....a removable tongue jack!! So you can open your back door fully. Once you have the trailer hooked to the Jeep, the whole jack can be EASILY removed (by just turning the handle at the base)and just put inside the Jeep. Also alot less cranking up and down on the tongue jack.

For some reason, I can't find a video that shows how super easy the jack comes totally off. This is also great because it makes it nearly impossible to steal your trailer without a jack. This is the best feature in my opinion. Take my word for it I guess, once you are hooked up, you turn the lever and the entire jack just lifts out for stowing inside the Jeep.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Ultimate-Jack/322-RDJ-2K.html

Last edited:

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Did you ever weigh it? Curious what your GVW and GCW are when loaded

MIAZ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JLURD,ā€˜02 F-250 7.3, ā€˜15 Prius, Had 13 JK
Wonderful information, Iā€™m brand new to the JL Forums and have been reading them for a couple of months in my quest for information on my possible JLUR diesel purchase. We had a ā€˜13 JK Ruby and loved it, but it was tiny for travel. Real bad experience with a dealer got us into a Tacoma Off Road that tows our 22ā€™ travel trailer well, but just screams going up long mountain grades. Weā€™ve had a Ford F-250 7.3 for 18 years and I yearn for that diesel low end torque and have been waiting for the Jeep diesel. Weā€™ve also had a Mercedes Benz Sprinter based motor home flat towing our Ruby. That was also 3.0 L with 188 HP and 325 Lbs of torque with a 5 speed automatic transmission, MH and flat towed Ruby were about 11,500-12,000 Lbs. That Sprinter MH towing the Ruby from Phoenix up to Flagstaff on I-17 would never get under 60 mph going up that steep climb and could accelerate on less steep sections. Iā€™m hoping to travel a lot with a potential JLUR diesel and the travel trailer combo . Iā€™ve read a lot of the forum articles about towing and towing with the diesel. The information here is real helpful and Iā€™m wondering if anyone reading this has had experience doing long travel trailer trips has done it with the diesel? Iā€™ve seen some forums that say the diesel runs very hot and may go into overheating while towing. Any information pertaining to this would be very helpful, donā€™t want to make a 50k+ mistake.

Sponsored

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Iā€™ve seen some forums that say the diesel runs very hot and may go into overheating while towing. Any information pertaining to this would be very helpful, donā€™t want to make a 50k+ mistake.
I'm in a similar situation. Haven't bought my JLU yet and have been going back and forth with the diesel and gas engines. I posted this the other day to hear some responses...

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/is-overheating-an-issue.65364/

I *think* what's going on is either people are watching the 'off-road' page statistics and are basing the overheating issues on those numbers instead of the vehicle telling you it's overheating. The other thing is, as one of the posters mentioned, people block the radiator area with stuff.

From my post, it sounded like overheating is not an issue and if anything, it takes awhile to warm up. Between those responses and a few videos I've been watching, I'm back to the diesel side.

Coops4284

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB; 2019 Indian Scout Bobber
Occupation
IT Enterprise Architect
Vehicle Showcase

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Mike, have you considered the 4xe? Its built on the current 2.0l Turbo engine which I'm currently towing with and LOVE IT, but the 4xe has 375hp and 470 torque! I'm towing about a 3100lb camper and it already tows easy, so I'm super excited about the 4xe I have on order so I can take on some more mountainous areas.

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I can't un-see those googly eyes on the camper :CWL:

ItsaBlueJeep

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I appreciate the write up. I feel the same way, I tow a camper with my 3.6 and it does shockingly well! I donā€™t push it hard, and i get over 11 mpg.
Jeep Wrangler JL Towing a Camper Cross-Country with a JLU RamCamper2
Nice setup, could you share your camper specs? Looks about the size weā€™re looking for. Also, What size tires are you running on your JL?

Sponsored

MIAZ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like the idea of the 4xe as weā€™ve had 3 hybrid cars starting in 2008 to the present Prius that we own. While itā€™s not plug in, they give a great idea of what itā€™s like having that electric motor to assist in climbing hills and needed heavy acceleration situations in addition to the great mpg rewards. About a week and a half ago, we went to our local Ford dealer in metro Phoenix and drove the new F150 hybrid. Besides the truck being really big and not having the off-road abilities that I want, itā€™s very powerful and the electric assistance is felt quite a bit. Iā€™ve been watching online videos of reviews of this truck and I think the window sticker indicates a 24mpg combined mpg. One video I saw showed the guy getting close to 29mpg in IDEAL conditions, slower speed, no wind or big hills and easy on the gas pedal. Anyway that could be a great help in travel trailer towing, but Iā€™m reluctant to buy the first year of a complicated system. If it were Toyota with 20 years of hybrid experience, Iā€™d be in.
Thatā€™s a bit off the track of this wonderful thread, but one of my wants with a tow vehicle for the travel trailer is longer range between gas/fuel stops, either more mpgā€™s or carrying more gas with all itā€™s possible problems. I like to go in remote areas and they usually donā€™t have numerous gas stations, Iā€™d like to do a return trip to Alaska and believe me you want a tow vehicle with a lot of range, so the gas, diesel or hybrid engine decision is big deal. I wonder if anyone has towed long distances with the diesel or talked to others that have, like in campgrounds about their experiences with it.
The original thread here gave me great ideas about watching for the distance between the trailer and the spare and watching for the trailer jack being in the way, thank you for bringing that up and the statistics on gas mileage, thatā€™s invaluable, also the load bearing hitch information.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mike, have you considered the 4xe? Its built on the current 2.0l Turbo engine which I'm currently towing with and LOVE IT, but the 4xe has 375hp and 470 torque! I'm towing about a 3100lb camper and it already tows easy, so I'm super excited about the 4xe I have on order so I can take on some more mountainous areas.
I have considered it but there's a few things. First, my wife is itching to get out and start doing things and wants a Wrangler. Who am I to turn that down. The other thing is everybody says not to buy a first year model and I agree with them. I had a WJ with the 4.7 powertech, which was the first year it came out. I had my handful of issues with it and something I don't want to repeat.

I've had my eyes on a JL for awhile, and every year that goes by, I tell myself maybe next year. Well, I think I'm just going to throw the towel in and get something or else I may not ever be sitting in a JL.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ve been watching online videos of reviews of this truck and I think the window sticker indicates a 24mpg combined mpg. One video I saw showed the guy getting close to 29mpg in IDEAL conditions, slower speed, no wind or big hills and easy on the gas pedal.
I would be interested to see the actual mileage of the 4xe when driving normally and with towing something. Or throwing on a lift and bigger tires. A google search shows Jeep saying you may get 50mpg's, but I have a feeling that it's overly inflated. I have absolutely no idea what to expect, but I would think 35mpg's would be a comfortable guess for average mpg's. Again, just a guess, but I would guess that short trips would be the real saver and longer trips or towing would eat the battery up and you would see much less. The diesel would be a good middle ground between the 4xe and the pentastar.

I've been trying to hold back a little to see what the real world numbers are with the 4xe and see if it makes sense. And just like with gas, with the amount of people flocking towards electric vehicles in the next couple of years, I can't help but think the power companies salivating at the money that will be coming in and have to raise rates to upgrade existing grid infrastructure.

Whatever choice we make, there's going to be drawbacks to that choice. It's just good to know as much as you can so you can make the best decision for yourself.

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
There's another thread that explains the the 50mpg(e) rating for the 4xe is not a one for one comparison to just normal mpg. I can't remember which thread it is now though, but the actual mpg is no where near 50mpg.

MIAZ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m trying to remember what I read about that 4xe, but I think Iā€™ve got this right that thereā€™s controls that let the driver decide when to use the electric mode or have it assist the gas engine. That would be great in hilly or mountainous terrain, here in Arizona, most of the population lives in the lower altitudes and going to the real nice forested and cooler areas in warmer weather includes climbing 4, 5 or even 6-7 thousand foot climbs. Electric assist would be great the and the prospect of driving some scenic trail without engine noise would be nice.
Iā€™ve had 4 diesel pickup trucks including that MB Sprinter based motor home and got wonderful service out of all of them, great for towing. I would wish that the 3.0 diesel that Jeep has would be as good. Weā€™ve test driven 3 of them and Iā€™m amazed at the grunt and power these have. Been wondering the gas/diesel thing, might think of leasing a diesel as you can let it go if you donā€™t like it. Leasing would work for us as we have the Prius for a daily driver and use off-road oriented vehicles just for that or trips. Combining your tow vehicle as your fun backroads vehicle when you drop your trailer makes a lot of sense to me.
Sponsored