Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

Here is the sound and wheel jerking. If you turn it in any direction other than straight, it makes that sound. If you turn it and hold it, this isn't full lock either, it will stop making the noise for a split second every so often and jerk the steering wheel. You can see it jerk the wheel when the noise stops.
How can I put this... THAT IS SERIOUSLY F'D UP.
You mean to tell me the dealer heard that noise and said it is normal? If they did I can not stress enough how you should find another dealer even to the point of driving an hour or more for one.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bhamjl

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Following along as I've had the same issue...

Here's my experience thus far:
I bought a '19 JLU with 29k mi on it from a [chevy] dealer. During the test drive, I noticed it pulling right...which I just attributed to needing an alignment.
Next day, it went into a death wobble on the interstate at 70mph after a bridge bump.
Found this forum and the TSB, discovered the new steering stabilizer was installed backwards.
Chevy dealer took it to the Jeep dealer for warranty work.
When I picked it up from the Jeep dealer, I asked what they did to resolve. He said the stabilizer orientation wouldn't resolve a death wobble, but they flipped it around anyway. He said the steering gear was bad and replaced. They also checked the trac bar.
Since then, no more death wobble BUT there's a lot of play in the steering as you've described, but no sounds. There's 1-2 inches of play that doesn't seem constant. It feels as if it's not as bad when first getting in it or at slower speeds. It's a dead spot where you just bump the wheel back and forth left and right on a straight road. I decided to give it a few weeks before taking it back to the dealer so I could be sure of myself and they wouldn't discredit me. I'll update afterwards.
I took mine in to the dealership, they called back that afternoon to say it was fixed. When I asked what repairs were made, they said "All I can tell you is magic hands. We tore everything down, didn't find any glaring issue, built it all back up, and the play is no longer there." I wish I knew what the issue was, BUT I'm happy to say the play has been removed. My guess is something didn't get properly torqued with the trac bar at my previous visit. Drives like it should now.

bval001

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s
Just picked my jeep up last night after having the TSB steering box installed and unfortunately it's just as bad as before. This did not fix my crazy dead spot in the steering. Super frustrated. Getting ready to call the dealer again

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
You can make high quality products in China if you have strict quality control, management that pays attention, and an management structure that prioritizes customer safety above profits.

I would expect none of those things from Jeep.
An American company would support American jobs. Your attitude is why China has become a manufacturing center while America has just become the world consume. How would you like it if people choose Chinese products and/services over yours? Furthermore, if Jeep is so bad, then why are you on here?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
For those who didn't see an improvement or got worse after the new steering box, this might help:

SUMMARY: Dealer didn't update the steering pump software per the TSB, even though they said they did. To verify, get the specific "Options Report" printout from the dealership that shows either 5SY or 70F for the "Steering Pump & Gear Service Plan", don't trust the dealer service invoice that says they updated the software. Two different dealerships told me it was up to date, even my original steering gear replacement invoice said the software was updated, 3rd dealership showed me it WAS NOT updated on the "Options Report". All slop in the steering wheel is 100% gone after the 3rd dealership updated it to 70F. Finally drives like a Jeep now. I got suspicious because of lack of whining noise when the steering wheel is turned. The software update appears to increase the voltage on the steering pump, causing the whining sound (it isn't obnoxious, just an indicator the steering pump is on/active). In your case, you still might hear the whining noise with the old software, as some on other forums said they heard the whining noise before and after the software update. Point is, verify the software was updated via the options report print out, don't take their word for it.

DETAIL: It is very important to verify that they actually updated the steering pump software from 5SY to 70F via the Options Report not the dealer service invoice. In my case, the new cast iron steering box made some improvement, but not significant. Still had 2" of play, constantly correcting to keep it in lane. Very disappointed after seeing the success stories on this site. The dealership that replaced the steering box with the new cast iron version failed to update the EHPS (step 2 in TSB 08-074-20) and the steering pump software (steps 4 & 5) even though the invoice stated they updated the software. They also failed to replace the track bar for build dates before January 22 2019 (steps 12 & 13). After reading a few steering posts about a whining sound that people are hearing from the steering pump and I didn't hear any whining sound from mine, I started to wonder if they updated the software. I went back to the original dealer, they took it into the shop, said it was up to date. I went to another dealer, paid the hourly minimum charge, they too said it was up to date. I went to a 3rd dealership, and they hooked my JLU up to their service computer / DealerConnect and printed out an "Options Report" that the other two dealerships did not offer. It showed that the "Steering Pump and Gear Service Plan" was 5SY. F**KERS. I new the original dealership that replaced the steering box screwed up due to their attitude when I asked to verify. Note: See JD Powers surveys for the past 10+ years showing Jeep, Ram, Fiat dealers dead last in customer satisfaction. This third dealership updated to the correct steering box software, reprinted it, now it says 70F and ALL of the slop in steering is 100% gone. Point is, GET THE SPECIFIC PRINT OUT THAT SHOWS EITHER 5SY or 70F for the steering pump software. I did some research, but it looks like none of the menus in the radio will show this information. My only clue was the lack of a high pitched sound coming from the steering pump when the steering wheel is turned. You will need someone to turn your steering wheel back and forth while the JL is on and in park while you stand in front on the passenger side (right below the steering pump reservoir). I can now hear the whining sound from the steering pump, and ZERO slack in the steering wheel when driving at any speed.

Sponsored

PNW_JL

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
For those who didn't see an improvement or got worse after the new steering box, this might help:

DETAIL: It is very important to verify that they actually updated the steering pump software from 5SY to 70F via the Options Report not the dealer service invoice.
Thank you for sharing this. I emailed my service advisor requesting the Options Report from DealerConnect showing the 70F steering pump software update.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thank you for sharing this. I emailed my service advisor requesting the Options Report from DealerConnect showing the 70F steering pump software update.
What symptoms, if any, is your JL experiencing? And what year do you have? I think all 2021s have the new version of the steering box (cast iron) thus already have 70F for the software version.

Last edited:

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

SUMMARY: Dealer didn't update the steering pump software per the TSB, even though they said they did. To verify, get the specific "Options Report" printout from the dealership that shows either 5SY or 70F for the "Steering Pump & Gear Service Plan", don't trust the dealer service invoice that says they updated the software. Two different dealerships told me it was up to date, even my original steering gear replacement invoice said the software was updated, 3rd dealership showed me it WAS NOT updated on the "Options Report". All slop in the steering wheel is 100% gone after the 3rd dealership updated it to 70F. Finally drives like a Jeep now. I got suspicious because of lack of whining noise when the steering wheel is turned. The software update appears to increase the voltage on the steering pump, causing the whining sound (it isn't obnoxious, just an indicator the steering pump is on/active). In your case, you still might hear the whining noise with the old software, as some on other forums said they heard the whining noise before and after the software update. Point is, verify the software was updated via the options report print out, don't take their word for it.

DETAIL: It is very important to verify that they actually updated the steering pump software from 5SY to 70F via the Options Report not the dealer service invoice. In my case, the new cast iron steering box made some improvement, but not significant. Still had 2" of play, constantly correcting to keep it in lane. Very disappointed after seeing the success stories on this site. The dealership that replaced the steering box with the new cast iron version failed to update the EHPS (step 2 in TSB 08-074-20) and the steering pump software (steps 4 & 5) even though the invoice stated they updated the software. They also failed to replace the track bar for build dates before January 22 2019 (steps 12 & 13). After reading a few steering posts about a whining sound that people are hearing from the steering pump and I didn't hear any whining sound from mine, I started to wonder if they updated the software. I went back to the original dealer, they took it into the shop, said it was up to date. I went to another dealer, paid the hourly minimum charge, they too said it was up to date. I went to a 3rd dealership, and they hooked my JLU up to their service computer / DealerConnect and printed out an "Options Report" that the other two dealerships did not offer. It showed that the "Steering Pump and Gear Service Plan" was 5SY. F**KERS. I new the original dealership that replaced the steering box screwed up due to their attitude when I asked to verify. Note: See JD Powers surveys for the past 10+ years showing Jeep, Ram, Fiat dealers dead last in customer satisfaction. This third dealership updated to the correct steering box software, reprinted it, now it says 70F and ALL of the slop in steering is 100% gone. Point is, GET THE SPECIFIC PRINT OUT THAT SHOWS EITHER 5SY or 70F for the steering pump software. I did some research, but it looks like none of the menus in the radio will show this information. My only clue was the lack of a high pitched sound coming from the steering pump when the steering wheel is turned. You will need someone to turn your steering wheel back and forth while the JL is on and in park while you stand in front on the passenger side (right below the steering pump reservoir). I can now hear the whining sound from the steering pump, and ZERO slack in the steering wheel when driving at any speed.
Thanks for sharing this and it mimics my experience.
Replaced the box on my wife's Jeep and noticed improvement but it was silent in regards to whine.
Replaced the box on my Jeep and very little improvement (which can be the case) but INCREDIBLE whine. So much so that even the dealer was like wth and replaced the actual pump and it quieted down significantly.
That got me thinking... why isn't my wife's Jeep whining like this. Took it in and sure enough they never did the software update. After the update there is a mild whine like everyone else is hearing.
I recently had an interesting issue. I had parked the Jeep outside and it snowed, i.e. it had gotten very cold. The next day I warmed it up for like 15 mins and cleaned the snow off and went for a drive. I noticed I almost had to fight to steer the Jeep to the right and then it was gone and functioning normal. Almost like it was resisting because it was cold and as soon as I turned against it a bit it loosened up. Weird.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for sharing this and it mimics my experience.
Replaced the box on my wife's Jeep and noticed improvement but it was silent in regards to whine.
Replaced the box on my Jeep and very little improvement (which can be the case) but INCREDIBLE whine. So much so that even the dealer was like wth and replaced the actual pump and it quieted down significantly.
That got me thinking... why isn't my wife's Jeep whining like this. Took it in and sure enough they never did the software update. After the update there is a mild whine like everyone else is hearing.
I recently had an interesting issue. I had parked the Jeep outside and it snowed, i.e. it had gotten very cold. The next day I warmed it up for like 15 mins and cleaned the snow off and went for a drive. I noticed I almost had to fight to steer the Jeep to the right and then it was gone and functioning normal. Almost like it was resisting because it was cold and as soon as I turned against it a bit it loosened up. Weird.
Did the software update change the way your wife's Jeep steered? If yes, how?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did the software update change the way your wife's Jeep steered? If yes, how?
Nope. Oddly enough it felt great after the cast iron box without the software update. After the software update it felt no different.

Sponsored

ob-one

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 00 WJ, 18 Challenger, 02&04 WRX, 73 FJ40
californiajeepin - I live in SoCal helmet/San jacinto area......the dealership that told you they did software update but didnā€™t, I would like to avoid......any dealership service center you can recommend or not recommend in SoCal

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
californiajeepin - I live in SoCal helmet/San jacinto area......the dealership that told you they did software update but didnā€™t, I would like to avoid......any dealership service center you can recommend or not recommend in SoCal
Sorry to hear about your dealer experience, ob-one. We would like to assist you in getting the software update portion taken care of. Send our team a private message with more details.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Would be interested too. Iā€™m positive my dealer didnā€™t do the software update since my Jeep has had ZERO improvement after installing the new steering box. I even took it back to them so they can make sure everything was installed correctly and they handed it back to me saying it was fine so nothing was done. I do not hear any pumping whirring sound others claim when turning the wheel, not even a little bit.

Harsh

First Name
Harsh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Following along as I've had the same issue...

Here's my experience thus far:
I bought a '19 JLU with 29k mi on it from a [chevy] dealer. During the test drive, I noticed it pulling right...which I just attributed to needing an alignment.
Next day, it went into a death wobble on the interstate at 70mph after a bridge bump.
Found this forum and the TSB, discovered the new steering stabilizer was installed backwards.
Chevy dealer took it to the Jeep dealer for warranty work.
When I picked it up from the Jeep dealer, I asked what they did to resolve. He said the stabilizer orientation wouldn't resolve a death wobble, but they flipped it around anyway. He said the steering gear was bad and replaced. They also checked the trac bar.
Since then, no more death wobble BUT there's a lot of play in the steering as you've described, but no sounds. There's 1-2 inches of play that doesn't seem constant. It feels as if it's not as bad when first getting in it or at slower speeds. It's a dead spot where you just bump the wheel back and forth left and right on a straight road. I decided to give it a few weeks before taking it back to the dealer so I could be sure of myself and they wouldn't discredit me. I'll update afterwards.
i currently have this same issue and dealer time Iā€™m crazy. I swear it has dead spot play when Iā€™m cruising but low speeds or turning it right. My buddy doesnā€™t do this. Did you resolve this yet? I need a fix and yes I do have the newsteering box.

THEREED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hereā€™s my experience:

2019 JLU Sahara. Had original steering gear replaced with 2nd generation aluminum box. Much better but once warmed up and on hot dAys a lot of play and dead spot.

had new steel steering gear installed in January as I figured this would be the fix. Initial reaction was that I was very disappointed. 2ā€ plus dead spot and heavy wandering. Looked at the work and noticed they used the old aluminum box bolts not the new bolts. Also could not confirm software update done.

Went back a month later and had correct bolts changed and asked to Reflash/confirm software update for steering gear. Got it pack and so much better. Dead spot gone and tracks well. Guessing software update wasnā€™t done previously. Very happy but still a bit disappointed in the feel as it seems lighter than I prefer.
Final step: ordered Falcon 2.1 TS steering stabilizer and installed today. Awesome! Between the new steel steering gear and New falcon stabilizer, I can finally say that my steering feels how it should. I am very happy as the steering has really bothered me for about 1.5 years and now it is where it should be.

Ridiculous the amount of time effort needed to deal with this, but I really love my Jeep and so glad I can stop worrying about steering issues (at least for now).
Sponsored