First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I’ve been looking at sway bar disconnects for my “stock height Rubicon suspension Sahara” throughly for a year planning my build and when I was about ready to order JKS, Antirock, the ORO Swaylok, Or even retrofitting the stock Rubicon swaybar but making it manual activation I came across a post by someone here who found this company out of Utah called Apex Designs and their unusual take on sway bar disconnects. (That was definitely a run-on sentence. My English teachers would be proud.)

I really wanted an easy button and reliability. One incident I read of with the Sway Lok was someone tore off a sway bar mount. I don’t know the circumstances and maybe it was setup incorrectly but that wasn’t the dealbreaker. One owner here said it worked fine but regretted not just going with the Antirock.

With the Antirock, it sounds like a solid product but it seems like a half way point between disconnected and not while on the highway. I have reservations about whether I should toss my kid or the wife the keys to use the Jeep. How will it work in emergency avoidance situations?

With the stock Rubicon sway bar it’s mostly about the cost although it would likely end up the top candidate with safety in mind when you are not disconnected.

Then there is the most economical option which is the JKS disconnects. They are a totally solid solution, especially for the price, but I was really hoping for more of an easy transition between connected and disconnected. I guess I just dread encountering a situation where I am having to fight for a few minutes to get those things reconnected when there is a bunch of mud rocks and stuff you have to lay on while one is taking a rubber mallet to it etc. I guess that would be worst case scenario and I cannot say I have first-hand experience with it. I know some have said that it’s relatively easy to reconnect. I guess it’s those testimonials that say it is not always easy to reconnect that give me pause. Then there is also having to cut the stock mounting tab off of the axle tube. That said, I think I was leaning this direction the most when factoring in safety and cost.

Then I hear about this Apex Designs product and start looking at it a little more and I have found myself curious to the point I did something I normally don’t do with products, I took a chance and ordered the product willing to take a total loss of the money that I paid for them.

I hope they are safe, reliable, and really do disconnect with a a 1/4 turn of that blue knob up top. If they are all of these and last a few years, I’d say that would be a win.

If they’re junk, I’ll have no problem giving my opinion on that here. So this is no promo, it’s a conversation starter and me pointing something out to my fellow Jeep friends here that are looking for sway bar disconnect options. For the mild moderate stuff I do my results may not be the same as yours. It would be interesting if anybody here tries them in some extreme environments like rock crawling. If you are one of those, get some, beat the hell out of them and tell us how they work and hold up LOL.

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect C1BBEAF7-0DCA-4144-B218-9B3A003D37D6

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect 66D4FC4B-9883-47E3-A2D1-53D9CF902D20
Sponsored

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been looking at sway bar disconnects throughly for a year planning my build and when I was about ready to order JKS, Antirock, the ORO Swaylok, Or even retrofitting the stock Rubicon swaybar but making it manual activation I came across a post by someone here who found this company out of Utah called Apex Designs and their unusual take on sway bar disconnects.

I really wanted an easy button and reliability. One incident I read of with the Sway Lok was someone tore off a sway bar mount. I don’t know the circumstances and maybe it was setup incorrectly but that wasn’t the dealbreaker. One owner here said it worked fine but regretted not just going with the Antirock.

With the Antirock, it sounds like a solid product but I seems like a half way point between disconnected and not while in the highway. I have reservations about whether I should toss my kid or the wife the kids to use it. How will it work in emergency avoidance situations?

With the stock Rubicon sway bar it’s mostly about the cost although it would likely end up the top candidate with safety in mind when you are not disconnected.

Then there is the most economical option which is the JKS disconnects. They are a totally solid solution, especially for the price, but I was really hoping for more of an easy transition between connected and disconnected. I guess I just dread encounter in a situation where I am having to fight for a few minutes to get those things reconnected when there is a bunch of mud rocks and stuff you have to lay on while one is taking a rubber mallet to it etc. I guess that would be worst case scenario and I cannot say I have first-hand experience with it. I know some have said that it’s relatively easy to reconnect. I guess it’s those testimonials that say it is not always easy to reconnect that give me pause. Then there is also having to cut the stock mounting tab off of the axle tube. That said, I think I was leaning this direction the most when factoring in safety and cost.

Then I hear about this Apex Designs product and start looking at it a little more and I have found myself curious to the point I did something I normally don’t do with products, I took a chance and ordered the product willing to take a total loss of the money that I paid for them.

I hope they are safe, reliable, and really do disconnect with a a 1/4 turn off that blue knob up top. If they are all of these and last a few years, I’d say that would be a win.

If they’re junk, I’ll have no problem giving my opinion on that here. So this is no promo, it’s a conversation starter and me pointing something out to my fellow Jeep friends here that are looking for sway bar disconnect options. For the mild moderate stuff I do my results may not be the same as yours. It would be interesting if anybody here tries them in some extreme environments like rock crawling. If you are one of those, get some, beat the hell out of them and tell us how they work and hold up LOL.
If it doesn’t work out, I just put these on a Sahara I put 2” lift on, she loves them, quick and easy, no tools. ....... $.02......:).

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect 3EA826CB-82A0-4F80-83E9-CD6E64FA1899

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
If it doesn’t work out, I just put these on a Sahara I put 2” lift on, she loves them, quick and easy, no tools. ....... $.02......:).

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect 3EA826CB-82A0-4F80-83E9-CD6E64FA1899
I think the choices are limited for those under 2” lifts unfortunately.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I think the choices are limited for those under 2” lifts unfortunately.
Yep..... but I think these will work on stock Rubi, I know what your saying though.

ScoobyBlue

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly 16JK Willys, now 21JL Rubicon
I have the Curry Antirock in front on my 16 JK Willys. My Jeep is my daily. Highway. Bumpy country roads. Twisty roads.

The difference in travel distance between a rubicon and the antirock is just a touch over an inch better on the rubicon.

It’s a solid product. In emergency maneuvers...I drive it like a Wrangler and not like a Jetta or a Cherokee, so I’ve had no problems. The thing I noticed right off is nose dive. The front dips more like my 79 Lincoln with the antirock than it ever did stock.

I’ve never lost control during an emergency maneuver. Never got it up on two wheels during one either. But again, I’m driving it as a brick with a high load on top just looking for a reason to go top heavy and roll over - not using it as a sports car or old station wagon.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I have the Curry Antirock in front on my 16 JK Willys. My Jeep is my daily. Highway. Bumpy country roads. Twisty roads.

The difference in travel distance between a rubicon and the antirock is just a touch over an inch better on the rubicon.

It’s a solid product. In emergency maneuvers...I drive it like a Wrangler and not like a Jetta or a Cherokee, so I’ve had no problems. The thing I noticed right off is nose dive. The front dips more like my 79 Lincoln with the antirock than it ever did stock.

I’ve never lost control during an emergency maneuver. Never got it up on two wheels during one either. But again, I’m driving it as a brick with a high load on top just looking for a reason to go top heavy and roll over - not using it as a sports car or old station wagon.
I know of someone locally who drives their Antirock cross country, wheels it, and comes back just fine. It can definitely work.

I guess I just want to see if it’s possible to not make a compromise in handling and have little to no hassle. Locking manual hubs up front, I’m ok with. So if these work the same way essentially, that’s easy enough for me. I hope they’re as good as I hope they are.

Last edited:

Bingman

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy’s
I also just installed the Rock Krawler gen 2 disconnects last night. Great quality and didn’t have to do any permanent modifications(cutting the passenger side tab) to install them, which is why I went this route vs the jks links. I am definitely curious to see how you end up liking those apex design links.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I also just installed the Rock Krawler gen 2 disconnects last night. Great quality and didn’t have to do any permanent modifications(cutting the passenger side tab) to install them, which is why I went this route vs the jks links. I am definitely curious to see how you end up liking those apex design links.
If there were options for those of us with no lift or under 2”, I’d have put those on the list. Unfortunately I don’t think they do yet. At least not one that keeps the sway bar angle that I’ve read is recommended.

If there’s other new products I’m unaware of, please share!:like:

Last edited:

FFM069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
These swaybar links def look pretty interesting. Please report back once installed and let us know how they perform off-road and how easy they are to work with. I was leaning towards the ORO SwayLoc but those Apex ones do seem nice.
Cheers

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
I'm in the same boat as you. Sahara with rubi suspension as well. I was heavily weighing towards finding a rubi swaybar, but on ebay they are asking $1000 for one. At that price I could go front and rear anti rock. I was wondering if a JK rubi swaybar disconnect would work on our JL's? I curious about the apex design, I wonder if they run into any clearance issues. I'm looking forward to hearing about your review on them.

Also how do you like the Mopar LCA's with the rubi suspension? The Rubi has the same control arms as the Sahara so im wondering if its worth it for longer LCAs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I'm in the same boat as you. Sahara with rubi suspension as well. I was heavily weighing towards finding a rubi swaybar, but on ebay they are asking $1000 for one. At that price I could go front and rear anti rock. I was wondering if a JK rubi swaybar disconnect would work on our JL's? I curious about the apex design, I wonder if they run into any clearance issues. I'm looking forward to hearing about your review on them.

Also how do you like the Mopar LCA's with the rubi suspension? The Rubi has the same control arms as the Sahara so im wondering if its worth it for longer LCAs.
I’ll do my best at a review. Initially, it should be a pretty quick “They work” or “They don’t”. Then it’ll be a durability test for mostly road driving with an occasional off-road weekend.

I did my LCA’s at the same time as my suspension so I’ll have to defer to others’ experiences on their affect on driving. Mine drives great. No wandering. No twitchy response.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Honestly even with the disconnect in the Rubicon you're losing out on articulation. I had manual disconnects on my Rubi until I got the RK no limits sway bar links. The RK disconnects are solid and super easy to manage.

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
Honestly even with the disconnect in the Rubicon you're losing out on articulation. I had manual disconnects on my Rubi until I got the RK no limits sway bar links. The RK disconnects are solid and super easy to manage.
Yeah even though I think having a rubi sway bar with a manual disconnect has a much more cool factor to it. I think the best bang for my buck is going to be going with disconnect end links. I like RK and Metalcloak's version I just don't think that those options are going to work with the stock rubi height.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Yeah even though I think having a rubi sway bar with a manual disconnect has a much more cool factor to it. I think the best bang for my buck is going to be going with disconnect end links. I like RK and Metalcloak's version I just don't think that those options are going to work with the stock rubi height.
No I mean I had links on my rubicon because the fancy sway bar disconnect still limits travel. I’d hit @Rock Krawler Suspension on here and see how their shortest links compare to your stock ones. Even if they’re an inch longer you’d still be more than fine.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I received my AutoLynx today! They definitely feel substantial in the hand. I’ve attached the instructions to give an idea on the install.

As to the 20 ft lbs of torque on that nut that’s in the adjuster (?) , I’m thinking I’d need a crows foot that size to do it precisely.

And here’s another thread where a member here installed them last weekend. Looks like it works to me!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...y-bar-disconnect-solution.65562/#post-1388116

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect 1786358F-4039-4F01-9204-D264E7B635A2

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect 346162BB-11F2-41D9-B924-75AC633B2028

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect FC1C9BCD-9D56-414D-8EF7-88BAB0C701E8

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect 80AE626D-D3C2-4CBE-BA84-D5FE01EE0372

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect 37561038-5F14-443D-9461-9768C907BA4B

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect 1E832A15-49DD-4AD5-BFB5-336F767EF6EB

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect 9D2E7462-0C2F-4D95-8174-F08AEB6AD0DA

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect 93A4DB2C-7FDB-4329-BF7C-7EEF8133A587

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect F58792DC-FD25-4215-85AA-E808DEE441C9

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect DAF329B3-B564-40CC-9D33-0E587CDB986A

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect C8FFED43-B0B7-40AD-9E97-65A66F26A91C
Sponsored