Sponsored

Turn on rock lights temporarily when unlocking the doors?

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
so the courtesy wire is the YELLOW, not the green/white as pictured above. I want them only on as part of the courtesy lighting.

21 JLUR with Aux Package.

Tacking this project soon. Much thanks all!
Sponsored

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to do similar as well. Have KC cyclone rock kit on the way. Total is 2.52amps so not worried about running to footwell light for one source and aux 2 for other. Question, can I use a roadmaster 792 diode(2 inputs 1 output) or should I put a single line roadmaster 690 diode on each power input?

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to do similar as well. Have KC cyclone rock kit on the way. Total is 2.52amps so not worried about running to footwell light for one source and aux 2 for other. Question, can I use a roadmaster 792 diode(2 inputs 1 output) or should I put a single line roadmaster 690 diode on each power input?
Based on the backup light thread, and my garage knowledge of electronics, I think that you should be good with the 2 inputs 1 output version. In this instance you are using the diode to stop the electricity flowing back into the second power source, when the first is switched on, and you are only feeding one, common, device (rock lights).

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
That’s what I am thinking. My only concern is a guess potentially there could be a time when power is on from aux 3 and the door is open giving power from the footwell lights. Will that burn up the diode or the lights?

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
That’s what I am thinking. My only concern is a guess potentially there could be a time when power is on from aux 3 and the door is open giving power from the footwell lights. Will that burn up the diode or the lights?
I don’t believe that it cause any issues, the lights will only draw what they need, amps. You still only have 12v going in, just from two sources, if one shuts off it will still have 12v from the other source, but the current draw remains the same.

Sponsored

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
IMG_8029.jpg
IMG_8030.jpg
IMG_8033.jpg
IMG_9722.jpg

Got the Cyclones installed over the weekend. I put 8 under the Jeep.
4 on Each side. Front Bumper, Front Door, Rear Door, Rear Bumper.
Then I made a bracket out of ABS plastic and mounted a dual input diode and relay.
I can turn on the lights with my Trigger Switch System, or for momentary with the key fob courtesy light when unlocking.
I ran 4 circuits, 2 cyclones per. Front bumper, drive side, passenger side and rear bumper.
This is obviously way overkill than what is needed.

nofd843

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250 / 2021 JLUXR
So I tackled this today. Mine was the yellow one. If you are going to try and test the wires, test for the ambient light. I say this because when I would test for the courtesy light both yellow and green were ‘hot’. If I tested for the ambient light, only the green was ‘hot’. I have mine up and running successfully! Thanks for everyone’s input.

rgecy

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
So my rock lights have a controller and I wired it up through a relay. I used one of the Jeep Aux switches to turn them on and off and also connected to the courtesy lights in the driverside footwell. I have diodes installed coming from each.

However, I have noticed that when I unlock the jeep my rocklights are very dim and flickering and only come on fully when I open the door. I can hear the relay tripping on and off like it's barely getting enough voltage to just make it flicker.

My footwell lights only have two wires, not 3. I do not have the ambient lighting control....even though I have the switch.

What I think is happening is that when I unlock the jeep the footwell lights are very dim and only get bright when I open the door.

Is there a way to keep from burning up the relay by not allowing any voltage to it unless it is at a certain level coming from the footwell?

Thanks

RGecy
Sponsored