Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
20210128_095546.jpg

Half door mock ups are showing on the Configurator; this is my (base uppers) order! Was told it's leaving the factory 03 Feb 2021.... Hopefully that's accurate!
is it me or does that window seem not at the same level as the front vent style window top on the top door part? looks really weird. they could at least get their 3 windows on one side aligned. It would almost be better off buying the door bottom portion only and havin the top canvas fabbed by a quality canvas store/vendor. I love the half doors and would love to have some, but not with a window like this.

And btw from the photo you can tell from the angle that the vertical material between the vent and door window is directly in the middle of the line of sight of the mirror from the driver head position....:(
Sponsored

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
indeed 1 of 1 built
As far as I know, nacho is still not available for half doors. Just like, Red, Yellow, or Blues. Their programers put some wrong commas or something in there and its not responding properly... hopefully all colors are available shorty.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
is it me or does that window seem not at the same level as the front vent style window top on the top door part? looks really weird. they could at least get their 3 windows on one side aligned. It would almost be better off buying the door bottom portion only and havin the top canvas fabbed by a quality canvas store/vendor. I love the half doors and would love to have some, but not with a window like this.

And btw from the photo you can tell from the angle that the vertical material between the vent and door window is directly in the middle of the line of sight of the mirror from the driver head position....:(
I'm toying with the option of doing something like this in the future actually. I really wanted a tan soft top.... If I decide it's that important to me I may order a tan Jeep top and take the uppers somewhere to get them done up in tan with a single window. I think it would look great, but Im not sure I want to spend that kind of money.

Also; I'm in Southern California, and those uppers are going to be lost in the abyss that is my garage except for the 3 days a year we get rain.

I didn't order half doors to roll around with uppers on! :rock:

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You may not know how right you are.

Presenting: the 1996 Volkswagen Golf Harlequin. Not a goof, but an actual one-year-only production model. I remember seeing one on the lot when I purchased a [completely sensible] gloss black 1996 Golf.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL / JLU Half Doors Official Press Release and Photos 1996 Harlequin
I Couldn't remember who made it, but I knew someone made a car like that in the past!

If I was in the market for a Golf in 1996 I absolutely would have bought one of those.

Then again my favorite way to describe myself is: "I'm pretty weird for a normal person, but I'm pretty normal for a weirdo!" :movember:

Sponsored

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
I'm toying with the option of doing something like this in the future actually. I really wanted a tan soft top.... If I decide it's that important to me I may order a tan Jeep top and take the uppers somewhere to get them done up in tan with a single window. I think it would look great, but Im not sure I want to spend that kind of money.

Also; I'm in Southern California, and those uppers are going to be lost in the abyss that is my garage except for the 3 days a year we get rain.

I didn't order half doors to roll around with uppers on! :rock:

I agree where weather is nice year round, then the top window becomes a non issue and at that point you may not even need to buy the upper parts, but for me here in the cold north, I like the option of having soft door tops that I can easily decide to throw in the back for the afternoon of hot sun and then throw them back on for the evening. I do drive a lot without the doors, but with the various times I'm working, I would love to have an option of having a door when it gets colder at night or in the morning and the half doors would be a perfect compromise for me. I also looked at the Bestop full soft doors which is really something I'm evaluating too but I would prefer am OEM hard half door if it was nice.

I am wonderingsince bestop makes the soft top for jeep, if they are making the half door softs also, then it could mean that the bestop half soft top window portion of the door could possibly fit the OEM half doors and then we'd be rid of that ugly vent window...:D

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This is crap. Jeep has been slow rolling all the accessories they announced in 2017 when they rolled out the JL.

Now after close to 4 years they release half doors and yet you still can’t buy them without buying a new Jeep.

I’m getting close to being done with them. I’ve got my JLU Rubicon and it may very well be the last one I get...was thinking of a 2-door sport s. Plus given their track record there won’t be any changes to this model for like 10 years. Changes/refreshes require investments and right now Jeep is content with collecting as much profit as they can with the JL.
The huge demand for accessories, such as half doors, is probably why Jeep is building a large " Customisation Facility ". All the options can be installed, ready to go. I could see Jeep using aftermarket vendors to supply the possibly re- badged accessories. This way, Jeep doesn't have to spend $ developing accessories that have already been proven, buyer gets their "built" vehicle, vendors have a guaranteed and predictable product sales to Jeep.

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR - Prior: XJ | TJ
Half door mock ups are showing on the Configurator; this is my (base uppers) order! Was told it's leaving the factory 03 Feb 2021.... Hopefully that's accurate!
Did you build your Sarge Green Willys with the packaged Premium Soft Top or deselect the Premium Soft Top? I ask because it's unclear if the "base" Half Doors are the standard material or if the heavier "premium" twill. I assume the base halves are not the premium cloth...but it's a guess at this point.

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you build your Sarge Green Willys with the packaged Premium Soft Top or deselect the Premium Soft Top? I ask because it's unclear if the "base" Half Doors are the standard material or if the heavier "premium" twill. I assume the base halves are not the premium cloth...but it's a guess at this point.
My understanding is the base uppers are the "black diamond" and the premium uppers are black twill. There aren't any other differences between the doors AFAIK.

My build is a Willy's Sport, so it will have the base, black diamond soft top and base door uppers.

Sponsored

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Ooh I like that

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
So, here is a logical question, I think. They can't paint all 8 doors at the same time. How well will one set match? Obviously they will paint the half doors at a different place than they will paint the whole Jeep. Will certain colors like Silver and other Metallic colors match?
I know this an old post but read the last post then started at the beginning.

I've been building a freedom edition for several months and about a month ago the half doors appeared, so I've been adding them. This week the premium half doors appeared too. Tried ordering the half doors and got a note saying "this could not be ordered with my top combination" (hard top). Went back and clicked the premium half doors and it lets that happen.

But back to your post, I was wondering this myself. I've worked in a few car plants and every one the doors were painted on the car then taken off, sent somewhere else in the plant then came back to the same car they came off of. I've worked on the door line, very cool piece of automation! A door elevator held 4 doors. As the car was going down the line all 4 of your doors came off at the same time, but one side of the elevator was empty and the other had your drivers side. The passenger side had your doors then ones from a totally different car and color on the other. Your 4 doors would be traveling about 30 elevators apart. Would then travel to the other end of the plant. get its glass and door panels while the interior was installed. Then came back to the same car. Very cool to see!

So I'm wondering about the paint match too.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
The paint match is an interesting piece I hadn't thought about, but ultimately I'm not too worried. Chances are they'll have them painted at one of their official facilities and the match will be close enough that most people won't be able to tell the difference (talking about people who order them after the fact if they offer that one day). Just look at the people on this board who had their local dealer paint a set of aluminum trail doors and even those look pretty close.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
So far we know something is being done with the half doors at the "custom Shop" mentioned a few posts up from yours. It could be they have already been painted and are just getting uppers and being boxed. It doesn't make much sense to have two paint shops at the plant, but we are talking about FCA...

Regarding the door assembly line, I walked through a plant that had just closed in Flint years ago. I didn't get to see it in operation, but have to agree, it is a truly amazing system!

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I'm really interested to see what the new custom shop ends up doing with the Wranglers. As a salesman, it would be awesome to order a Wrangler with a factory lift, 35's, and possibly a winch. Makes getting the customer financed a lot easier if it's already on the window sticker, and not an addendum.
Sponsored