Fox 2.5 Shock review

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
So I had a chance to get the shocks installed and put a few miles on them. I have to admit I didn’t think a Jeep could ride as good as it does. I switched from the Fox IFP’s that came with the Dynatrac lift to these and it is night and day.

The install is pretty straight forward, the only thing I didn’t care for was the self tapping screws they hold the bracket on for the front reservoirs, I ended up using rivnuts instead.

I ended up with the low speed one click in from fully open and the high speed two clicks in and the ride is fantastic. On some of the rougher county paved roads the IFP’s were like riding a skateboard, the 2.5’s it’s very smooth. Going up a click or two on the high speed I could bomb a set of railroad tracks at 30+ and you would never know you hit them if you were a passenger in the Jeep with your eyes closed.

The steering wobble I have been chasing was slightly improved with the new shocks also but still there. Once I get that sorted out I don’t know I could do anything to improve the ride of this thing.

Accutune did a fantastic job on the tuning these things.
Sponsored

Darkseid

First Name
Mr. Darkseid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Did you go with the performance elite 2.5 or the race series 2.5?

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Which shocks are these? 2.5 just references the size of the shock body.
Sounds like you got some DSC Factory Race Series custom tuned shocks. What was the cost?

Jeep Wrangler JL Fox 2.5 Shock review BD48DC2C-699A-44BB-A20C-39BDF2B99D92

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
AWESOME! Love to hear great feedback like this. Going from a 2.0 IFP to a 2.5 R/R with DSC is a huge upgrade, especially with our valving in them. These newer style 2.5 shocks are now being called the Performance Elite Series, but are more or less the same as the previous generation, but aluminum shock body.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Oh man.. sounds like I might be dipping back into my savings for these...

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
Sorry, I thought I had a picture of the fronts installed but apparently I don’t. They are the 2.5 factory race series DSC’s tuned by Accutune

Jeep Wrangler JL Fox 2.5 Shock review 59DB58C2-4148-48CA-B36B-6276F33A1B51
how is this set up with the Clayton is it the overland

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
how is this set up with the Clayton is it the overland
I am running all of their arms and Track bars. I currently have the Dynatrac 2” springs because I really only want 1.5-2” of lift. At some point I plan on trying the Rusty’s 2” spring which are made by Eibach (I believe they make the dynatrac also) but are a little different rate.

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
I am running all of their arms and Track bars. I currently have the Dynatrac 2” springs because I really only want 1.5-2” of lift. At some point I plan on trying the Rusty’s 2” spring which are made by Eibach (I believe they make the dynatrac also) but are a little different rate.
thanks....are you trying to reach a certain goal....why not try coil overs

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
thanks....are you trying to reach a certain goal....why not try coil overs
Not really a goal but I just really have no desire to go any bigger than a 35” tire. The trails I do I can get anywhere I want to go on a 35 and some use of the skids and I just don’t want to deal with re gearing or anything else that goes along with 37’s. I think the Rubicon looks a little stuffed with the factory height and a 35, anything over a 2” lift in my opinion starts making the 35 look small. I drive the Jeep to most of the trails which usually means trips from Chicago to South Dakota, Ouray, and Moab so 24 hours on the road I want a decent ride. But when I get where I’m heading I want it to perform well. For what I do coil overs would be a wast in my opinion.

I like the current ride but I don’t like the fact the springs don’t take much weight, I had to add 3/4 spacers to the front to get the Jeep back to the factory rake with the weight of the winch. To level it I would probably need 1.5 spacers. I don’t feel I should have to add a 1.5 spacer to get 2” of lift.

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
Not really a goal but I just really have no desire to go any bigger than a 35” tire. The trails I do I can get anywhere I want to go on a 35 and some use of the skids and I just don’t want to deal with re gearing or anything else that goes along with 37’s. I think the Rubicon looks a little stuffed with the factory height and a 35, anything over a 2” lift in my opinion starts making the 35 look small. I drive the Jeep to most of the trails which usually means trips from Chicago to South Dakota, Ouray, and Moab so 24 hours on the road I want a decent ride. But when I get where I’m heading I want it to perform well. For what I do coil overs would be a wast in my opinion.

I like the current ride but I don’t like the fact the springs don’t take much weight, I had to add 3/4 spacers to the front to get the Jeep back to the factory rake with the weight of the winch. To level it I would probably need 1.5 spacers. I don’t feel I should have to add a 1.5 spacer to get 2” of lift.
man it feels like I just wrote all what you wrote....lol....I was obviously thinking the same thing....I don't mind going up to 2.5 not that may make or break anything...however with the coil overs however overkill it is sounds like the solution here's my thought yes costly but its able to get a great ride, whatever weight I may need in the future it will be able to handle it and go anywhere I want to....what do you think....I was curious about the Claytons bc I've been seeing some satisfied jeepers...

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
man it feels like I just wrote all what you wrote....lol....I was obviously thinking the same thing....I don't mind going up to 2.5 not that may make or break anything...however with the coil overs however overkill it is sounds like the solution here's my thought yes costly but its able to get a great ride, whatever weight I may need in the future it will be able to handle it and go anywhere I want to....what do you think....I was curious about the Claytons bc I've been seeing some satisfied jeepers...
I agree it would be the ultimate set up, I also looked at the adjustable height bumps/spring seats. I could dial in pretty much whatever height I wanted and could deal with the “factory lean” easily. As far as the Clayton stuff goes I’m pretty impressed with it. I have done quite a few Tj’s and Lj’s over the years before going to the Jl platform. My last Lj was a pretty well built Lj on 35’s running all Metal Cloak suspension. I really wanted to try something new for a change and looked into the Clayton stuff pretty heavily and decided to give them a shot. I honestly couldn’t be happier, the joints are beefy, the threads came pre treated with anti seize they fit well and I have no clearance issues with the AEV wheels. That was another factor for me, MetL Cloak recommended less backspacing and I really don’t want to have the tire too far outside the flare. Again I drive this thing a lot on the street.

I also really like the black powder coat, it doesn’t scream out from under the Jeep, if the Clayton stickers were not on them you wouldn’t know they were not stock.
Sponsored