Sponsored

Why don't dealers have email addresses to contact them about ordering a Jeep?

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
I bought my last two Jeeps and my wife’s minivan 100% via email. This forum was great for my JL - I read the preferred dealers thread and found a few who sounded great, I was willing to travel, I PM’ed the guys here on the forum and we exchanged emails and did it all that way. Before that, the other two I did through the internet sales manager. One email was listed. The other required some simple Google research exploring to figure out how to reverse engineer the dealership’s emails (first letter of first name, full last name @ dealership.com, etc..) and then using this equation with the internet sales manager.

The case I present to them is telling the partial truth that I work long hours, odd hours, and travel often out-of-state and want to agree to all numbers over email at my convenience before coming in to sign paperwork. I explain that I can’t spend half a day at the dealership - my work doesn’t allow me to do that. I can go in for an hour once things are settled and sign papers, decline all the add-ons, and leave.
Sponsored

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
M

Yep, Denver. Mind sharing specifics, PM me if you want. Thanks.

Did you just pick one and work them down? I'm looking at a pretty loaded Sahara Altitude, and I figure it would be best to have at least two to compare against each other.

Denver, being so far from other major metros, will a dealer trade with SLC, or KC? Looking at frontrange inventory, I'm really not seeing what I want. JLUSA, AutoV6, Selectrac, LSD, and the Sky View among other things.
I am in Denver as well. I was working with 5 different dealerships around the area and got the best deal at Fort Collins Jeep. I spoke with 2 Larry Miller dealerships, Mike Shaw, Perkins in the Springs and Fort Collins. My salesman from Fort Collins was the least aggressive and had the best price so we made the hour drive there to place our order. If you want his info just let me know. I got almost 8% off as an FYI.

IcemanBW

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various
Are you in Colorado? I am just finishing up my first Jeep purchase and it has gone very well. Ordered through a South Denver dealership. 11% off MSRP. Handled all by email. 10 minutes at dealership to order. Two hours today to do paperwork. 1.5 of that was waiting on them.
@Air Uncle P - Would you mind please sharing with me your contact at subject dealer here in Denver? I made a duplicate thread yesterday asking about dealers here in the Denver area (or general US) from which members had positive dealings. Thank you!

Air Uncle P

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU Bright White
@Air Uncle P - Would you mind please sharing with me your contact at subject dealer here in Denver? I made a duplicate thread yesterday asking about dealers here in the Denver area (or general US) from which members had positive dealings. Thank you!
DM Sent

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
Even with all of the technology today, this is still a human-to-human process for the most part so I suggest go in-person or a phone call (Covid) to speak with a sales person. You need to understand that you have to invest some time in the transaction. Once you have made the initial contact you will have their email address and then you can do all of your negotiating that way. Manufacturers could easily support "buy now" online purchasing for a vehicle once you configured it online, but for the most part they are still supporting their network of dealers by allowing the human-to-human sales process to work. Going in also gives you an opportunity to test drive or possibly negotiate for a vehicle on the lot which may work out a better deal for you if they are motivated to move inventory. You ultimately are in control because you can walk away from any deal.

Sponsored

IcemanBW

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various
Even with all of the technology today, this is still a human-to-human process for the most part so I suggest go in-person or a phone call (Covid) to speak with a sales person. You need to understand that you have to invest some time in the transaction. Once you have made the initial contact you will have their email address and then you can do all of your negotiating that way. Manufacturers could easily support "buy now" online purchasing for a vehicle once you configured it online, but for the most part they are still supporting their network of dealers by allowing the human-to-human sales process to work. Going in also gives you an opportunity to test drive or possibly negotiate for a vehicle on the lot which may work out a better deal for you if they are motivated to move inventory. You ultimately are in control because you can walk away from any deal.
I completely see and understand your point in most circumstances. However, knowing exactly what I want, I refuse to waste time and endure the effort of the dealer 'game'. In dealing with my local Jeep dealers (via phone, in person, etc.), I've learned thus far, despite emphatically stating I want nothing but the bespoke build I provide, have no trade to discuss, lead-time not an issue, and won't require financing - ALL have circled back around to trying to get me into a unit on their lot. At that point - for the simple point of not listening to my requirements, I assume they don't want the business, and I won't give it to them. Having ordered many, many vehicles (albeit not FCA/Domestic vehicles) - each process was seemingly streamline and simple. Regardless of a unit on the lot, vs. a bespoke order, you'd think a dealer would jump at the chance to make a $60K + sale. That said, I have time, and I'll find the right individual/dealer to work with, and appreciate all the valid inputs and suggestions, thus far.

Last edited:

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
I wouldn't necessarily agree with this - far less use of your own time (and not having to deal with the 90% of salesman that aren't customer friendly) to get a list of the best dealers who give known discounts and just email them. You are done in 1 hour.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I buy my Jeeps local around the corner from me, they have best service and give me deals on parts. I know everyone in the store. Might not get the killer deals some get but I do luck out when they send a 1000$ golden ticket to sweeten and entice me to buy something. I got a 2000 one on my SRT when there were no deals and a 1000 one on my rubicon. So that took some of the sting out of it.

I would suggest one considers the whole aspect of what a dealer offers, if you buy from an out of state dealer, dont expect the local dealer to bend over for you. I would alway try to buy local and from one with a good service dept who will help you out of a jam, note it isnt easy finding a good dealer but the smaller non-corp stores seem to give a crap vs the mega ones . Just my advice.

IcemanBW

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various
I buy my Jeeps local around the corner from me, they have best service and give me deals on parts. I know everyone in the store. Might not get the killer deals some get but I do luck out when they send a 1000$ golden ticket to sweeten and entice me to buy something. I got a 2000 one on my SRT when there were no deals and a 1000 one on my rubicon. So that took some of the sting out of it.

I would suggest one considers the whole aspect of what a dealer offers, if you buy from an out of state dealer, dont expect the local dealer to bend over for you. I would alway try to buy local and from one with a good service dept who will help you out of a jam, note it isnt easy finding a good dealer but the smaller non-corp stores seem to give a crap vs the mega ones . Just my advice.
I don't discount the value of a personal relationship with a dealer, or negate the benefit of buying local. All of my 'fun' cars I've purchased local to wherever I lived at the time, for just that fact - to gain a relationship with the sales person, but especially the service department, knowing these 'fun' cars weren't necessarily known for bullet-proof reliability. Agree with your sentiment about having a relationship with the local dealer being the best bet. That's ideally what will happen, here. The first two dealers I've talked with in Denver; outlining for them my order, and willing to pay a fair price, their only focus being 'moving units on the lot' - makes it apparent to me the m/o of the dealer is throughput, vs. gaining clients and associated referrals for the long-haul.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link

Amen! We are lucky because we live in Maine and once you get outside of the 'big cities' (don't laugh too hard) you are dealing with smaller, family run dealerships. I know for a fact I could have saved 2-3K if I was willing to fly to VA (that was the closest dealer who had EXACTLY what I wanted) BUT here are some examples why I didn't and why I didn't try to play my dealership off that price:

-When I told the salesman (who I've purchased 3 vehicles from) that my wife thought she wanted a Wrangler he said, 'come take the 2019 JL we have here for the weekend'.
-Every single time I have service they ask me if I want a loaner.
-Every time I walk in with a TSB and an issue (3 times) they diagnose and fix, no BS.
-They show me the invoice and give me every incentive they can dig up (I know, dealers never pay invoice).
-They tell me to sell my vehicle private sale if they think I'll make out much better than they can offer.
-Ever since we ordered our JLUR the service / parts manager and I have talked no less than 6 times about the mods they will do for me and they are excited to do it.
-I do have e-mails for my salesman, the sales manager and service / parts manager.

I feel very fortunate, I'm thankful I don't live in an area with massive multi-dealership conglomerates, slick willie salesmen and managers who only care about the bottom line. In the end it's a business, they need to make money but the trick is finding one who actually strives for customer loyalty along with reasonable profits.

Sponsored

IcemanBW

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various
Amen! We are lucky because we live in Maine and once you get outside of the 'big cities' (don't laugh too hard) you are dealing with smaller, family run dealerships. I know for a fact I could have saved 2-3K if I was willing to fly to VA (that was the closest dealer who had EXACTLY what I wanted) BUT here are some examples why I didn't and why I didn't try to play my dealership off that price:

-When I told the salesman (who I've purchased 3 vehicles from) that my wife thought she wanted a Wrangler he said, 'come take the 2019 JL we have here for the weekend'.
-Every single time I have service they ask me if I want a loaner.
-Every time I walk in with a TSB and an issue (3 times) they diagnose and fix, no BS.
-They show me the invoice and give me every incentive they can dig up (I know, dealers never pay invoice).
-They tell me to sell my vehicle private sale if they think I'll make out much better than they can offer.
-Ever since we ordered our JLUR the service / parts manager and I have talked no less than 6 times about the mods they will do for me and they are excited to do it.
-I do have e-mails for my salesman, the sales manager and service / parts manager.

I feel very fortunate, I'm thankful I don't live in an area with massive multi-dealership conglomerates, slick willie salesmen and managers who only care about the bottom line. In the end it's a business, they need to make money but the trick is finding one who actually strives for customer loyalty along with reasonable profits.
Your local dealer sounds amazing! I do miss these types of interactions from our few years in the Midwest and Northeast. Your repeated business patronage seems to be valued, which, in turn, has you sending other business their way, too, i'm sure.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Old school mentality that still plays out even during Covid - they want you in person to apply pressure and think you will cave.

I called 5-6 dealers and discussed trade in, pricing, etc. almost all of them gave me the good old “come in so we can see your trade and we’ll take you more seriously.” Or “when would you like to come in and take a test drive.”

It’s like they all try and use the same tactics.

prototyp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW i3 REX, 2019 Wrangler Sport
I won't be sad to see the traditional dealership business model die off or fully transform itself. I believe many customers wouldn't mind paying more, in person, if that goodwill was reciprocated with great continued service. Unfortunately, it's not. You can see that reflected in most dealership reviews. 5 stars from excited people getting a new vehicle, and 1 star from service visits or buyers sick of the sales tactics.

It's nice to see companies like Carvana and Telsa expanding. Traditional dealers can't send you an email, while other companies are happy to complete entire transactions - buying and selling - online.
Sponsored