Sponsored

Camping setup (don’t want a rooftop tent)

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Get a setup that's easy and flexible, I have a 15 yr old cot but am getting a bigger one that folds small Teton XXL Cot and a instant setup tent, mine is big enough to be inside during rain storms, I also have a hammock and a bug net so I can just throw the cot under a tree and hang a bug net over it, adding a stove to my new tent so I can extend the season and cook without propane, backpacking stuff is light and packs small.
Jeep Wrangler JL Camping setup (don’t want a rooftop tent) 20201219_134636
Jeep Wrangler JL Camping setup (don’t want a rooftop tent) 20201225_162223
Jeep Wrangler JL Camping setup (don’t want a rooftop tent) 20190828_162936
Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I have the Gazelle tent and highly recommend it. I run it without the floor and cots.
I just bought one and have yet to use it. It's big and heavy. Barely fits in the back of the JLUR with the seats down.

It makes up for it by being unreal easy to set up, lots of space and you can stand up.

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
I run no rear seats w/overland setup in the JL
A new T3 is coming out in a few weeks, smaller with less stand up height, but will fit in the Jeep sideways. Will probably order it for solo trips or basic 2 person.
After you use this tent for a while you will absolutely love it. They are the makers of ice fishing huts which is where I originally dealt with the company (when I lived up north)

Sponsored

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
Here is my hunting camp from October 2020.
Jeep Wrangler JL Camping setup (don’t want a rooftop tent) HuntingCamp2020

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
A new T3 is coming out in a few weeks, smaller with less stand up height, but will fit in the Jeep sideways. Will probably order it for solo trips or basic 2 person.
Just in case anyone is interested... I just received the new redesigned T3 (now called the T3X). I'm definitely happy with it, but the tiny increase in length means I couldn't maneuver it to sit across the wheel wells because it's slightly too long to clear the interior trim in the back of a JLU to get it up there with the hard top on. You could just pop the windows off on a soft top and stick it in through the side though. It does fit diagonally in the back, with one in up toward the roof and the other end sitting on the floor on the other side though, so I'll probably just end up securing it with a bungee that way for trips. I'd say it's worth the tradeoff since the new version will fit my Coleman ComfortSmart cot, but man it would be nice if they could have made it just a tiny bit more compact lengthwise.

I'm going to try a little harder to get it to fit later tonight to see if maybe there's a trick to getting it into the jeep that will work. I'll update if I figure something out.

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Just in case anyone is interested... I just received the new redesigned T3 (now called the T3X). I'm definitely happy with it, but the tiny increase in length means I couldn't maneuver it to sit across the wheel wells because it's slightly too long to clear the interior trim in the back of a JLU to get it up there with the hard top on. You could just pop the windows off on a soft top and stick it in through the side though. It does fit diagonally in the back, with one in up toward the roof and the other end sitting on the floor on the other side though, so I'll probably just end up securing it with a bungee that way for trips. I'd say it's worth the tradeoff since the new version will fit my Coleman ComfortSmart cot, but man it would be nice if they could have made it just a tiny bit more compact lengthwise.

I'm going to try a little harder to get it to fit later tonight to see if maybe there's a trick to getting it into the jeep that will work. I'll update if I figure something out.
Nice - mine comes in later this week. I will have to play around on the weekend to see how to load the T3 vs the T4. I bought some new tubs so will see what my setup will be. I have no rear seats, so have a few options on way to go.

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
This is the T4 in perspective to the Jeep. I also run on the new Jeep an overland setup with fridge and stove built in the back, so its only the Tent/Cot/Sleeping pad-bags to store.

1611708826304.jpeg

1611708682374.jpeg
Nice setup. One day when all the kids are out of my hair... :)

I fiddled with it a little more and found that I can get it sitting across the wheel wells, tucked under the roll bars if I fold down the passenger side of the back seat first to let me maneuver it into place. To unload it quickly when you get to camp, you'd just fold down that side again and yank it out through the rear passenger door. With the back seat folded down or removed, it would obviously be pretty easy to fit, but I have kids who like off-roading almost as much as I do so that won't be an option for most of my trips.

Sponsored

bodhi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
This is the T4 in perspective to the Jeep. I also run on the new Jeep an overland setup with fridge and stove built in the back, so its only the Tent/Cot/Sleeping pad-bags to store.

Jeep Wrangler JL Camping setup (don’t want a rooftop tent) 1611708682374

Jeep Wrangler JL Camping setup (don’t want a rooftop tent) 1611708682374

Would you mind letting me know what tailgate table that is, and also list a bit about what is going on with the stuff above the tire, I am pretty interested.

Thanks

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU

1611708826304.jpeg

1611708682374.jpeg
Is that a water carrier mounted behind your LOD trail rack? If you don't mind me asking what brand and size?

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
4Gal Roadshower
Expedition Essentials EXO table and stove
Wasn't cheap...about $1200 for the 2 pieces, but it's slick
Also none designed for the Jeep, so you have to drill and Mcguyver stuff.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Nice setup. One day when all the kids are out of my hair... :)

I fiddled with it a little more and found that I can get it sitting across the wheel wells, tucked under the roll bars if I fold down the passenger side of the back seat first to let me maneuver it into place. To unload it quickly when you get to camp, you'd just fold down that side again and yank it out through the rear passenger door. With the back seat folded down or removed, it would obviously be pretty easy to fit, but I have kids who like off-roading almost as much as I do so that won't be an option for most of my trips.
Will the T3X fit across the back seats? I'm trying to decide between a T4 on the roof rack or a T3X in the back seats and measurements aren't quite telling the whole story.
Sponsored