Front camera option worth it?

jeepdogjl

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Does anyone have experience with the front camera? I'll be ordering a new JL soon and I'm considering getting the front camera. Is it worth the money? My main concern is when you're climbing a steep hill and all you can see is the sky is that what you are going to see on the camera or will you be able to see the trail?
Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
If it is mounted on windshield or dash you are going to be looking at sky or hood while you climb a hill no mater what brand you buy. If you can't see the trail neither can the camera.

There are many makers of dash cams and a very wide verity of features. I have a Rove 4K Stealth Pro. Had the features I was looking for, takes great video and the price is not bad. Only thing I did not like was having to buy and SD card. Dose not come with one.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
My biggest buyers regret is that I don’t have the front trail camera because it wasn’t available on the 2019 JL. Get it. It shows you the trail ahead instead of the sky.

OP
OP
jeepdogjl

jeepdogjl

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
My biggest buyers regret is that I don’t have the front trail camera because it wasn’t available on the 2019 JL. Get it. It shows you the trail ahead instead of the sky.
Thanks that's good to know.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
This should help. This convinced me to get it

Sponsored

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Does anyone have experience with the front camera? I'll be ordering a new JL soon and I'm considering getting the front camera. Is it worth the money? My main concern is when you're climbing a steep hill and all you can see is the sky is that what you are going to see on the camera or will you be able to see the trail?
Get it! I was on the Rubicon Trail this past summer and one of the Gladiators in our group had the factory front camera. Very useful piece of equipment off road. Jeep gave it a really great field of view.

I'm hoping to add the OEM camera to my 2020 Recon soon.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HJ5REOo6XbFuakJem6TTw

-Steven

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I don’t need one frequently enough to buy a high quality front camera. I bought a cheap one from Amazon which comes with a small 3” screen.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Just put the wife on the hood. You get audio feedback that way too.

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

It's a great option. I ordered it on my JLUR and love it. The angle is perfect in my opinion and let's you clearly see what's in front. The build it cleaning system (sprayer) works well too.

Sponsored

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Yes it is worth it. I love mine. Its integrated with the 8.4 so no extra screen to have in my Jeep from cheapo cameras. Helped multiple times when on the trail. it is awesome to be able to see whats in front and almost underneath you. It has a high quality picture too. I use it more when pulling into my garage so I dont smash my kids bikes to be honest.

Last edited:

Morbo101

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler sport s
Jeep Wrangler JL Front camera option worth it? 45F56B4B-056E-422E-9FEC-2AA5D9F58A37

Brightness level hadnt been adjusted due to installation during the day. Simple plug and play camera system to cigarette lighter plug and just ran the wires through the cabin into hood and mounted on license plate. Have taken it on a few trails already and love it. I can angle it as needed or adjust the warning lines to suit my needs. Just as clear as the factory rear camera and no pixelation.

Buckzona

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU
I have the factory camera on my JLUR and it has made a big difference both when you see nothing but sky in the windshield or while trying to maneuver rocks and boulders while going downhill. The camera is no substitute for your spotter, but certainly helps you know what lies ahead.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Jeep Wrangler JL Front camera option worth it? 45F56B4B-056E-422E-9FEC-2AA5D9F58A37

Brightness level hadnt been adjusted due to installation during the day. Simple plug and play camera system to cigarette lighter plug and just ran the wires through the cabin into hood and mounted on license plate. Have taken it on a few trails already and love it. I can angle it as needed or adjust the warning lines to suit my needs. Just as clear as the factory rear camera and no pixelation.
Link to what equipment you are using?
Sponsored