Sponsored

AEV JLU Wrangler Build [SEMA 2019]

xj_scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Pulled my plastic bumper off tonight with the aid of a headlamp. Digging into the meat of the install tomorrow. 🤞
Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Do they not supply instructions?
The “instructions” are riddled with errors and nonsense. Eventually you find yourself taking every word with a grain of salt. Not a good look for a company selling products priced as high as prices go.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Noted. Can’t wait to see all the finished results and reviews from you guys. Good luck w the installs

acftmec

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ Impact Orange/ '20 JLU Sport S Bikini Pearl
They do on their site. Think they'd supply them in the box with the bumper/tire carrier but they don't. Installer is required to print them on their on...BS imo.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
When installing the Flares and Guards know that will will drill the holes as close to 90 degrees as possible. Connecting the flares to the guards this works good. BUT, when connecting the bolts to the tank you will find they are at an angle and if you drilled the holes perpendicular to the guard and flaps they won't line up...save yourself some headache and ream the holes out before you attach them to the tanks and jeep. It took me about 2 hours to get them installed and everything cleaned up. Second side goes soooo much faster.
I am not sure I understand what you are saying about the flares and guards. You recommend not drilling at 90 degree angle and reaming the holes to make things easier. Is my understanding correct?
[/QUOTE]
Yep, when you go to mount them the bolts got in at a slight angle and doesn’t fit as you are instructed to drill them. When you go to mount them you will immediately see.
They are on their website.

Sponsored

acftmec

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ Impact Orange/ '20 JLU Sport S Bikini Pearl
Just got done installing the flare extensions..... SOB! Glad that's over with finally. Last piece of the install is on and done. The instructions give you the 3/4"x1.5" area to trim. I had to trim a bit more than instructed. When and if you do this install definitely remove the wheel and you'll have tons of work space.

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

xj_scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
[/QUOTE]
Yep, when you go to mount them the bolts got in at a slight angle and doesn’t fit as you are instructed to drill them. When you go to mount them you will immediately see.

[/QUOTE]
Just got done installing the flare extensions..... SOB! Glad that's over with finally. Last piece of the install is on and done. The instructions give you the 3/4"x1.5" area to trim. I had to trim a bit more than instructed. When and if you do this install definitely remove the wheel and you'll have tons of work space.

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV JLU Wrangler Build [SEMA 2019] IMG_0549

I did the trimming for mine today and was able to make it work easily enough without pulling the tires. Haven't tried to mount the up yet so we'll see how that goes.

xj_scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Got it done yesterday after 2.5 days of interrupted work. I'd estimate the install time at about 12 hours total, including wiring. I wasn't rushing and had never installed an AEV bumper before. Overall, not too bad. I was fortunate and everything fit together well enough. The upper light is wired to an aux switch while the lower light is tied directly into the reverse lights via the trailer tow wires.

To reference some of the previous comments and advice in this thread: definitely pull the passenger taillight (the online instructions include this step now). The instructions are alright, however they definitely leave out some steps that should be included, such as reconnecting wires, is this easy to figure out? Sure, but a one line reminder in the instructions would be nice. The flare extensions are a bit of a hassle. However, drilling at an angle won't make a lick of difference. Its thin plastic. The bigger issue is keeping your holes centered. I found I had to bore out some a little to get the holes to line up, this didn't seem to compromise the stability, and they're not load bearing (if you don't have a stepped drill bit, get one, it'll come in handy time after time). The tip to use the smaller of the two bolts to tie the carrier to the wheel mount was spot on. I have the Borah wheels as well and it worked perfectly.

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV JLU Wrangler Build [SEMA 2019] image000000 (1)

Last edited:

xj_scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Oh, and for those talking about the water tank on the JK version, they did away with that in order to accommodate the backup sensors that need to be installed in the plastic pieces.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
jeez, for those of us that are less mechanically inclined, it sounds like a "professional" install is the way to go... But if many of you savvy gentlemen are claiming 12 hours... at a cheap rate, that's probably 1K in labor? Ouch.

Sponsored

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager

[/QUOTE]

I did the trimming for mine today and was able to make it work easily enough without pulling the tires. Haven't tried to mount the up yet so we'll see how that goes.
[/QUOTE]
I have a 2 1/2 inch lift and 37s. Left my tires on and didn't have any problems with the tires still on.

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Can the rear tire carrier be installed with the Mopar Hinge reinforcement?

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Can the rear tire carrier be installed with the Mopar Hinge reinforcement?
As far as I can tell, yes there is plenty of room. Not that the reinforcement is necessary at that point with such a drastic reduction in weight hung on the gate, but if you already have it on, should be fine.

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
=
As far as I can tell, yes there is plenty of room. Not that the reinforcement is necessary at that point with such a drastic reduction in weight hung on the gate, but if you already have it on, should be fine.
That was my precise concern. I already have it on so I wanted to know if I would need to take it off, that would be a pain because paint. Thanks!

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
@JLURD and @toolaide4fit :
JLURD is right about the long bolt for the spare...I have the AEV Borah wheels and used the middle size bolt.
which step is this? I’m going to start install this morning and try to get it done this weekend. I think you’re talking about:
VII Final Tire Carrier Installation, Step 9. where it says to use the 5” long bolt.
Is that the right step you’re referencing? I just want to make sure.
Sponsored