Sponsored

Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4?

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I finished the 7" and HVAC upgrade on my 2018 Sport S this morning. Somewhere in this thread it said the JScan setting was Dual Zone MTC. That didn't work on mine. For me the setting that worked was Dual Zone ATC. Pretty sure that's for Automatic Temperature Control. It's all working. Great upgrade. I have a 5" radio available if you're looking for something to smash with a hammer. :)
hows the upgrade running still? I have a 2019 sports and trying to figure out it if its worth getting the 7 and the climate control with volume knob
Sponsored

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
tomorrow when my in cabin temp sensor arrives, I’ll let you know if my 2020 JL Sport 7” uconnect upgrade with auto temp control is working properly. Check your harness for the c2 connector in hvac module - if you have a c2 with all 6 wires you likely have a temp sponsor connector (behind right knee panel) and sun sensor - if not you’re going to need to build that c2 harness
Did you ever get that completed? I want to check mine before upgrading, where and how do I that?

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
No problem at all. So I just did this last week. If

No problem at all. So the most comprehensive way to do this is to buy the radio, the bezel, HVAC stack, and in cabin temperature sensor. When you install the 7” radio you lose your volume knob. Thats why you need a new HVAC stack. The radio is plug and play but the HVAC stack is not. Once you have these installed you need to flash with a jl tazer so the new HVAC system works. The cabin temp sensor is so you gain the function of automatic climate control. My advice would be to get a used 7 inch radio off here or ebay. I paid $400 for mine used. Also replacing all of this only takes about 15 minutes for everything. Like I said though you can just replace the radio but why not replace everything and have a fulling functional unit. Total price for me to do this was $600. If you have any more questions let me know, also I think you are right about the part number it seems there are a ton of different ones.

Without Sat Radio: 68297545ae
With Sat Radio: 68297546ae
Bezel:6AB53TX7AA
HVAC Stack:6be28dx9ac
In cabin temperature sensor:55111178AC

Thanks for clearing that up! Are you still running this set up? I'm not a fan of auto climate but if I choose not too to add the sensor, I can still run temperatures at my choosing without issues? Also does dual zone work with this upgrade and flash?

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Reading all the threads about the upgrade and getting very confused. I have the very base 5'' and getting 8.4'' tomorrow. Do I need 1 or 2 antennas to make it fully functional? three different antennas available: 68294006AA, 5064813AA and 68293962AA. Which is the correct one?
Did you ever get the 8.4 put in? Is it working?

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
Did you ever get the 8.4 put in? Is it working?
Yes, have it for a while, works great. Ended up using cheap GPS antenna from amazon, dont really need anything else. I dont use sat radio and it was too much trouble to figure out WiFi.

Sponsored

BrooksC

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2D, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow
hows the upgrade running still? I have a 2019 sports and trying to figure out it if its worth getting the 7 and the climate control with volume knob
I love the upgrade. No regrets at all. That 5" radio is just SO bad it made spending over $500 worth it for me. Its all working great. I did try to get away with not changing out the sun sensor to the automatic climate control version since I'm in the South. But it's just all over the place on the heat, so I ordered the correct sensor yesterday. That will fix it. Another 40 bucks though!

BrooksC

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for clearing that up! Are you still running this set up? I'm not a fan of auto climate but if I choose not too to add the sensor, I can still run temperatures at my choosing without issues? Also does dual zone work with this upgrade and flash?
On mine it struggles to hold any kind of temperature without the right sun sensor, even in manual mode. I do have the in-cabin sensor. So I'm adding the right sun sensor. We dont have the right in-duct sensors for dual zone, so that will not work. Keep it on sync and tell your passenger to keep their hands off that temp button.😀

Davaug79@

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
There is no use in adding the additional duct temp sensors, since those will only be beneficial in a dual-zone setup. These sensors actually go into the air distribution box and not the actual ducts, meaning that you cannot buy the sensors apart and install them; they come installed when you buy a new air box. The air distribution box your JL has is the one for the single-zone a/c, meaning it's missing another blend door as well as the layout to support dual-zone functionality, even though the wiring diagram says you have 2 blend doors, you do not.

You can make the automatic a/c behave in a single-zone manner by syncing up the driver and passenger temperatures. However, note that independently adjusting the driver-side temperature will do nothing; the passenger-side temperature is the one that actually adjusts the temperature of the air flowing into the cabin, since the only blend door in the single-zone setup is the one on the passenger-side (crazy, I know).

Contrary to what the wiring diagrams tell you, the single-zone distribution box does have 2 of the 4 duct sensors installed and wired up. The only real sensors you're missing are the sun sensor with auto HVAC functionality and the in-cabin sensor.

Sun Sensor w/ Auto HVAC: 68230114AB
In-Cabin Sensor: 55111178AC

Connector for both the sun sensor and in-cabin sensor (they share the same connector): 13654871
Pins for sun/in-cab connector: 13580635

Pins for HVAC module connector 2: 13767047

Your post is awesome. Where did you get your wires to make it all work? I see the connectors.

Davaug79@

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
The HVAC module is located beneath the steering column to the right. You need to take off the trim piece underneath the steering wheel and then move the front driver seat all the way back.

The module is bolted onto the black HVAC housing and it has 2 connectors: a big horizontal connector with many wires, and a second, smaller connector (c2) right below which is the one you'll be looking for.

Since I have a Sport and not a Sport S, my HVAC module was missing the second connector (no auto headlights) which is why there's an empty slot there, but your Sport S will have it.
3738F47A-FB22-41EC-9BBF-739A1BA48BF2.jpeg
DBFA0FD5-2073-4FF5-93CD-4CF501DAAD88.jpeg
Yours looks just like mine. I have a Sport with auto headlamps but its still empty. I guess I am going to need a wiring harness.. And they are still not making it. Any recommendation on where i could get the wires for one?

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I love the upgrade. No regrets at all. That 5" radio is just SO bad it made spending over $500 worth it for me. Its all working great. I did try to get away with not changing out the sun sensor to the automatic climate control version since I'm in the South. But it's just all over the place on the heat, so I ordered the correct sensor yesterday. That will fix it. Another 40 bucks though!
Let me know how it goes with the sensor...I saw today on my Jeep I have the c2 connector already filled in with a cable dangling for the cabin sensor.

Sponsored

DonOMite

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU White Willys "Rhonda"
The person I bought it from doesn’t seem to know what the unlock pin code is. Is there any way to find out what it is?
I know that this is an older post and I'm sure you already got this working, but I had the same issue. I did not have the unlock code for a used 7 " uconnect. A quick search online and I found https://www.onlineradiocodes.co.uk/
They are out of the UK and worked without an issue in the US. All you need is the serial number from the Radio. Being in the UK they are 5 hours ahead of EST-US so you just need to remember this when submitting your order. I had an email from that at 4am this morning with my code and everything is working great. Cost $28USD but well worth it. I tried 3 Jeep dealers near me to just get the code and they all said it was not possible.

P Felix

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Has anyone gotten the Compass to work after they upgraded to the 7"? I have a non XM radio and im wondering if i need to add the GPS antenna to make it work? I do have one open port on the back of my radio....... There is a Whiteish gray port, blue port, and a redish port. anyone have any luck with this?
Its been awhile since I did I this, I bought the XM cable, cut the connector to fit the only unused connector in back of the radio, I didn’t run it up the pillar and left it dangle in the dash, I was lucky... but I figured that was the connector for the compass and it worked and still works after about 10 months . The connectors are not the same, but nothing a razor blade can’t fix.

BrooksC

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me know how it goes with the sensor...I saw today on my Jeep I have the c2 connector already filled in with a cable dangling for the cabin sensor.
Got the correct sun sensor installed today. Much better; works like it should now. I was trying to remove the small panel around the sun sensor. Turns out you just lift the sensor itself out of the panel with a small pry tool. Figured that out before I broke something, luckily. Plenty of slack in the cable to pull it up to access the connector. Disconnect, reconnect.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Got the correct sun sensor installed today. Much better; works like it should now. I was trying to remove the small panel around the sun sensor. Turns out you just lift the sensor itself out of the panel with a small pry tool. Figured that out before I broke something, luckily. Plenty of slack in the cable to pull it up to access the connector. Disconnect, reconnect.
sweeet cant wait to get mine updated then.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Did you also use an obd scanner to change the hvac or just installed the parts and rolled with it?
Sponsored