Sponsored

Upset with dealership oil change

Abnmarine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
First let me say that I’m not naming the dealership right now as I need to speak to the service manager on Monday about the issue.
Yesterday I used their quick service oil change to change the oil in my 2.0 under the Jeep Wave program. If it wasn’t for being free, I would be doing it myself.
Normally I watch the guys change the oil but spent my time walking the lot looking at vehicles. I return as they were finishing up.
I drove home and then checked the level only to discover that the oil was black and about 4” up the dipstick from where it should be. I let it sit overnight and checked again this morning and it was still just as full so I drove back to the dealership.
The quick service was already closed but had a ASC mechanic inside working on his motorcycle. I explained what happened and he checked it and went ahead and drained the oil out of the engine and filter and filled it back up. He said they definitely didn’t change the oil and it looked like they added another 5 quarts to it for a total of 10 qts. He told me to return on Monday to speak to the service manager to explain what happened.
I’m pissed that these guys can’t seem to do an oil change correctly. I’m going to insist that they also change the filter because I suspect that it’s still the old one.
I’ve heard of people getting six qts when it calls for five but this is BS.
Just venting and waiting for that emailed survey to arrive.
Sponsored

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
WOW Stop the Insanity I learned how to change oil in my teens Has society really turned into a don't listen to common sense because the "computer" says I haven't used my Jeep Wave and I'm thinking I will not be. Good luck on Monday and please let us know what the service manager says - Should be interesting if it is anything but repeated apologies

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Do what you want, but I would forget the dealer and forget the Jeep Wave program and do the oil changes myself. When you have someone else service your vehicle, you have no control over what they do. Did they even use the correct oil?

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Only thing that sucks is doing it yourself won’t show up on a car fax that regular maintenance was done and I see some dealers checking into this on the car fax when trading it in and holding it against you for value.

Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
Yep, I’ve heard this before. I got 8 free oils changes when I picked up my rig back in early 18. I still have 8 oil changes left. Because my rig has lifetime warranty, I have to take it to the dealer or a jiffy lube type place, otherwise I’d do it myself.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Always check oil levels, before leaving the dealership. I learned that the first oil change the dealership did. They had to drain 1 quart out.

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Only thing that sucks is doing it yourself won’t show up on a car fax that regular maintenance was done and I see some dealers checking into this on the car fax when trading it in and holding it against you for value.
Eh. I see your point but with proper record keeping its non-issue. Photos of the odometer which has a date stamp, receipt for oil+filter purchase all stored digitally in a folder for the future. I go as far as oil analysis every couple of changes for the jeep and trucks and each one for with wifes Audi to make a complete profile for each vehicle in our family fleet.
And screw the dealer and their oil changes, its a low margin product for them and they hand it down to the lowest monkey.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Yep, I’ve heard this before. I got 8 free oils changes when I picked up my rig back in early 18. I still have 8 oil changes left. Because my rig has lifetime warranty, I have to take it to the dealer or a jiffy lube type place, otherwise I’d do it myself.
Extended warranties don't allow for self-changed oil? Even if you keep records/receipts?

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
Sorry to here about you’re misfortune. Nothing is free.
Please do not misunderstand, I’m not trying to beat up on you. Rather would really like other readers to understand they need to stop buying into all these phony promises.
Everyone capable should always do as much work as they can. Reason being it gives you the time to look over your Jeep for other things that might need attention. Checking steering components while waiting for the oil to drain. Lots of things to look at, windshield fluid, wiper blades, tire pressure, drive shafts, etc,etc.
Any service technician/mechanic that changes oil is entry level at best. These are usually people that attend schools to learn how to turn wrenches. Now I can’t blame them, they were just applying for the job. They mean well, but they never get proper training in the real world when working for a dealership. They are taught speed means $$$ and that is it.
Most everyone on these forums have been telling of all the horrible things that these dealerships have done, from poor and unsavory sales tactics, lying about warranty and tsb’s to damaging personal property.
Not trying to damage the reputation of the few good dealerships out there.
I can count on one hand the good/lucky experiences I’ve had with dealerships.
No one touches my Jeep If I can help it.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
First let me say that I’m not naming the dealership right now as I need to speak to the service manager on Monday about the issue.
Yesterday I used their quick service oil change to change the oil in my 2.0 under the Jeep Wave program. If it wasn’t for being free, I would be doing it myself.
Normally I watch the guys change the oil but spent my time walking the lot looking at vehicles. I return as they were finishing up.
I drove home and then checked the level only to discover that the oil was black and about 4” up the dipstick from where it should be. I let it sit overnight and checked again this morning and it was still just as full so I drove back to the dealership.
The quick service was already closed but had a ASC mechanic inside working on his motorcycle. I explained what happened and he checked it and went ahead and drained the oil out of the engine and filter and filled it back up. He said they definitely didn’t change the oil and it looked like they added another 5 quarts to it for a total of 10 qts. He told me to return on Monday to speak to the service manager to explain what happened.
I’m pissed that these guys can’t seem to do an oil change correctly. I’m going to insist that they also change the filter because I suspect that it’s still the old one.
I’ve heard of people getting six qts when it calls for five but this is BS.
Just venting and waiting for that emailed survey to arrive.
Sometimes I think about ditching the complimentary oil changes from the dealership and just have my regular family mechanic do them for me even if it means paying him. I have known the guy for 15 plus years and he has now become a good family friend. Just way too many stories like these. Anybody disagree?
Sponsored