Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
That's the first one that I remember seeing with an AB suffix. This should start some conspiracy theories. ;)

'AA' were the precision calibrated units...'AB' are mass produced for the masses :)
Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
One note, looks like the part number sequence changed. On my invoice the steering gear shows a part number of 68507569AB when the previous one in this thread ended in AA.
Hi Jamie, I know that it's a pain in the rear but, if you don't mind and have the time, would you take a picture of the label on the box and verify that it is indeed an AB suffix box.

Thanks,
Johnny

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
Hi Jamie, I know that it's a pain in the rear but, if you don't mind and have the time, would you take a picture of the label on the box and verify that it is indeed an AB suffix box.

Thanks,
Johnny
Quickest conspiracy theory ever...where did that obelisk in Utah come from and where did it go?

Invoice had AB and gear had AA sticker. Nothing more to see here gentlemen.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") Jeep Invoice (2)
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") Steering Gear Sticker

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I was not happy with ours after the TSB. I saw someone's post about power steering fluid levels so I checked ours. The fluid was barely visible in the resevoir. I ordered the $20 bottle of Mopar fluid, added to max, and cycled the power steering lock-to-lock a couple of times. Fluid level dropped a bit and steering feel tightened. I wish I had tried that before dropping $225 on a JKS track bar. šŸ¤ 
We are sorry to hear about the service that you received from your dealer. We would like to ensure that this experience is documented. Please connect with our teams in a private message.

got mine back yesterday after new steering box. drives way better straight.... BUT it is harder to turn the wheel AND now bumps in the road cause the steering wheel to bounce, plus it pulls left all the time.

I looked under the hood and the fluid was low, but not much. I also noticed the bolts were NOT replaced. The work order said nothing about the bulletin, showed only the gear box and fluid as parts. Nothing about reprogramming. Also written was a 4 wheel alignment, but no alignment info was provided.

I also notice it seems to want to over steer now, I find it a little difficult to maintain a contant line when turning on a long bend in the road...

Back to the dealer I go, after they call me back about the bolts.

1 step forward, 1 step back, maybe 2.
Are you currently working with a case manager? If not, we would like to have a case escalated on your behalf for an additional layer of assistance.

Swapping steering boxes this week. What should I tell the service department advisor so they donā€™t screw up the install? I have read about steering fluid level and making sure they update to the new software. Thanks!
How do you make sure they updated the software? I do not have any confidence that my dealer will do it. And I'm not willing to just take their word for it.
@Levin_tom & @cosmokenney - If you would like support while in service, we would be happy to escalate a case for you. Please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, and dealer to get started.

I was scheduled for January 8th to have the work done. Called the dealer they didn't get the part. New ETA 45 days at a minimum. I figure that I will get it in the next year.
Please send us a message so that we can look into parts support for you!

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Kballard72

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler Rubicon unlimited
Got mine back with the black gearbox. Horrible. Sitting idle when turning the wheel feels gritty and moving from TDC to the left or right engagement is more noticeable than ever. Waiting for new dealership to open before trying again but right now I was better off with the silver aluminum box. This is stupid.

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
We are sorry to hear about the service that you received from your dealer. We would like to ensure that this experience is documented. Please connect with our teams in a private message.

Are you currently working with a case manager? If not, we would like to have a case escalated on your behalf for an additional layer of assistance.

@Levin_tom & @cosmokenney - If you would like support while in service, we would be happy to escalate a case for you. Please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, and dealer to get started.

Please send us a message so that we can look into parts support for you!

Darlene
Jeep Cares
@JeepCares I already have an open JeepCares case. I've been to the dealership twice in the past two weeks for prearranged appointments. First time they sent me home because they didn't have any of the parts in stock. Second time they sent me home because FCA/Mopar delivered them a right-hand-drive steering box instead of the LHD one. Getting a little tired of this treatment. FCA needs to put some pressure on the f'n dealers to get their shit together. If they would just send me the damn parts I would install the thing myself then take it to the dealer to get the software updated. That might be easier for their pea brains to get right. Sick of this shit.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Invoice had AB and gear had AA sticker. Nothing more to see here gentlemen.
;) Thanks Jamie. That was the reason I asked you to check. Was guessing that the dealer made a mistake on the paperwork.

Thanks again,
Johnny

shoregrrrl

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Hi! Thanks so much for all of this info. My ā€˜18 JLU has been at the dealership since Monday and I wonā€™t have it back until early next week. This will be my second attempt to address the wandering steering. Iā€™m really hoping it works - I regularly spend three hours at a time highway driving and feel like Iā€™m taking my life in my hands every trip. Oy, the stories I could tell!!! May I ask - how do you access the dealer settings menu? Thanks again! :)

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
I just noticed that when I go into my MOPAR account that under my JL in the dealer installed section it shows: Steering Pump & Iron Gear Serv. Plan

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Well as hit and miss as this is the guys who spent $2k on a PSC upgrade are probably feeling good about their investment again :).

Thetickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
I checked my paperwork and there is an updated TSB for this issue that was preformed on my Jeep. The new TSB is 08-003-21. Searching the forum I found that it's probably just updated instructions and includes an alignment. The part numbers are still the same.

I spoke to my rep at Jeep Premium Care and they confirmed it should include an alignment. I'll probably go back to the dealer to get this done.

While parked on dirt, I turned my wheel lock to lock and held at each lock a few times. My power steering fluid level dropped a little. Now that I got some air out, the wheel does feel noticeably better, stiffer.

Last edited:

THEREED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I checked my paperwork and there is an updated TSB for this issue that was preformed on my Jeep. The new TSB is 08-003-21. Searching the forum I found that it's probably just updated instructions and includes an alignment. The part numbers are still the same.

I spoke to my rep at Jeep Premium Care and they confirmed it should include an alignment. I'll probably go back to the dealer to get this done.

While parked on dirt, I turned my wheel lock to lock and held at each lock a few times. My power steering fluid level dropped a little. Now that I got some air out, the wheel does feel noticeably better, stiffer.
I had to adjust my drag link to center the steering wheel after box replacemrnand have a couple questions. I have a fully stock suspension on JLU Sahara with rubicon tires and wheels

1)is it normal the amount of threads I have out on the drag link end that hooks to the pitman arm? I am worried there isnā€™t a lot of threads in the drag link bar. Hoping someone can share a pic of their stock drag link.

2) once everything is tightened, is it normal to be able to twist the drag link with little pressure and the whole drag link moves? If I hold the drag link I can twist it with the end toward the wheel turning slightly after everything is tightened down. The end toward the wheels seems to twist while the end toward the pitman arm seems more solid.

looking for guidance!

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") D93E220B-9120-4EE0-8F6E-D38077AC48A7

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 91F8D7BF-C852-4A3A-99DB-7F81B8FAA558

Thetickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
I had to adjust my drag link to center the steering wheel after box replacemrnand have a couple questions. I have a fully stock suspension on JLU Sahara with rubicon tires and wheels

1)is it normal the amount of threads I have out on the drag link end that hooks to the pitman arm? I am worried there isnā€™t a lot of threads in the drag link bar. Hoping someone can share a pic of their stock drag link.

2) is it normal to be able to twist the drag link with little pressure? If I hold the drag link I can twist it with the end toward the wheel turning slightly. All other suspension components do not have any play I can move with normal hand pressure.
1: Yes it's completely normal. Looks just like all other Jeeps I've seen.

2: Yes, a little play in the drag link itself is normal.

You're good as long as your wheel is centered and the bolt to adjust the length of the drag link is tight.

Last edited:

THEREED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
1: Yes it's completely normal. Looks just like all other Jeeps I've seen.

2: Yes, a little play in the drag link itself is normal.

Your good as long as the bolt to adjust the length of the drag link is tight.
Excellent, thank you very much
Sponsored