At the end of my rope of steering issues.***FIXED!****

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I know there are a few posts about this and I have read through every one at least a dozen times. I’m also not new to Jeeps, I have had a few Tj’s and built a few Lj’s before going to the JL platform. I have dealt with steering and suspension issues plenty of times but for some reason I can’t get the shimmy/wobble issues fixed on this damn thing.

2020 JLUR with 12k on it and no issues until a few months ago, had the tires rebalanced and installed the Dynatrac lift right about the same time. That’s when I started getting a wobble going over bumps or washboard sections of road. Not full on death wobble but a shimmy that lasts past the initial bump in the road.

The Jeep has the following:

Dynatrac lift
Clayton control arms (8)
Clayton front track bar (also had a Synergy on it)
Rock Crawler rear track bar
Rusty’s steel steering system
Dana HD ball joints
Synergy Track bar brace
New cast iron box
BFG KO2’s 35’s
Fox Race stabilizer

Caster is at 7 right now, I have tried 6,6.2,6.5,6.8,7.2
Toe is right around 1/16-0
Tire pressure cold is 28
Both axels are centered within 1/8
I have torqued and re torqued everything at least 10 times
If I do another dry steer test I am likely to set it on fire.
road force balanced the tires 5 times (They re

Other than the shimmy/wobble the thing drives absolutely fantastic. The shimmy honestly feels more pronounced when you first start driving the Jeep, as things heat up or settle in from driving it seems to calm down a bit. Big bumps don’t really seem to effect it much, smaller dips and bumps in a row are what seem to trigger it. Also grooved concrete seems to make it more pronounced.

What the hell am I missing???? I’m about at the point I am going to try replacing the tires but I’m not sure that is going to do it. I have thrown way too much time and money in this thing over the last two months. I sold a mint well built Lj to get this thing because I was tired of projects, I worked less on that than I do this thing and I literally rebuilt that thing from the ground up.
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I still think its the stupid ass electro hydro steering, i think it freaks out. After i replace these steering knuckles ill probably still get the slight shake, im hoping not, but thats all thats left is the garbage steering system for me

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I still think its the stupid ass electro hydro steering, i think it freaks out. After i replace these steering knuckles ill probably still get the slight shake, im hoping not, but thats all thats left is the garbage steering system for me
I don’t doubt that comes into play at some point. My biggest issue is for 10k the Jeep drove fine. No issues, then I had the tires re balanced and did the lift and it started.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I know there are a few posts about this and I have read through every one at least a dozen times. I’m also not new to Jeeps, I have had a few Tj’s and built a few Lj’s before going to the JL platform. I have dealt with steering and suspension issues plenty of times but for some reason I can’t get the shimmy/wobble issues fixed on this damn thing.

2020 JLUR with 12k on it and no issues until a few months ago, had the tires rebalanced and installed the Dynatrac lift right about the same time. That’s when I started getting a wobble going over bumps or washboard sections of road. Not full on death wobble but a shimmy that lasts past the initial bump in the road.

The Jeep has the following:

Dynatrac lift
Clayton control arms (8)
Clayton front track bar (also had a Synergy on it)
Rock Crawler rear track bar
Rusty’s steel steering system
Dana HD ball joints
Synergy Track bar brace
New cast iron box
BFG KO2’s 35’s
Fox Race stabilizer

Caster is at 7 right now, I have tried 6,6.2,6.5,6.8,7.2
Toe is right around 1/16-0
Tire pressure cold is 28
Both axels are centered within 1/8
I have torqued and re torqued everything at least 10 times
If I do another dry steer test I am likely to set it on fire.
road force balanced the tires 5 times (They re

Other than the shimmy/wobble the thing drives absolutely fantastic. The shimmy honestly feels more pronounced when you first start driving the Jeep, as things heat up or settle in from driving it seems to calm down a bit. Big bumps don’t really seem to effect it much, smaller dips and bumps in a row are what seem to trigger it. Also grooved concrete seems to make it more pronounced.

What the hell am I missing???? I’m about at the point I am going to try replacing the tires but I’m not sure that is going to do it. I have thrown way too much time and money in this thing over the last two months. I sold a mint well built Lj to get this thing because I was tired of projects, I worked less on that than I do this thing and I literally rebuilt that thing from the ground up.
Did it already have the new steering box when you bought it, or did you have it done as tsb?

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Did it already have the new steering box when you bought it, or did you have it done as tsb?
It was done as the TSB. I was the first one the local dealer did.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Is there a chance they didn’t update the software?
It was in the invoice that they did and that was also done about 2500 Miles before the issue started. I don’t think it was a huge change in comparison to what I had before but it really didn’t drive terrible with the aluminum box.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It was in the invoice that they did and that was also done about 2500 Miles before the issue started. I don’t think it was a huge change in comparison to what I had before but it really didn’t drive terrible with the aluminum box.
Sounds like a computer issue, you can try .5 degrees toe out, steersmarts swears by it.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Sounds like a computer issue, you can try .5 degrees toe out, steersmarts swears by it.
That’s on my list of things to try next. One other thing that comes across as something odd is stabilizer related. I’m trying to find a stock stabilizer to swap out the ats. I have always been a firm believer of if it’s set up right you don’t need one but the Jl seems like it really does.

When the front end is off the ground and you quickly turn the wheel to the left it’s a steady consistent resistance. When you quickly turn it to the right you get about 1” of travel with a low resistance and then it suddenly gets more resistance. It’s almost like the stabilizer has a dead spot to the right.
It doesn’t make a difference on where it is on the shaft but it’s 100% steady resistance to the left and 1” of slack when you turn to the right.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm in a similar situation. I had no wobbles until I installed the Meralcloak 2.5" lift. I already had the MC Rocksport SS installed for a few months before the lift. After the lift and on the stock tires, I noticed a bit of a "nibble" in the steering wheel between 45 and 55 mph. Smooth otherwise. A few weeks later added 37's on beadlocks. That didn't help. Spent plenty of time under there re-torquing. Set my toe to 1/16" in, replaced the drag link and tie rod for MC bits, added a Rustys steering brace, added balancing beads...still seem to have a wobble at right about 53 mph. I have noticed there is a tendency to want to start a death wobble episode a slower speeds too but it corrects pretty quick. The wobble almost feels like it's trying to decide if it wants to pull left then changes it's mind and wants to go right, then back again. Almost like it's flighty (but not) or has a loose / dead spot (bit it doesn't). I haven't checked ball joints or unit bearings yet, but it's only got 8500 miles on it (2000 on 37's and lift).

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That’s on my list of things to try next. One other thing that comes across as something odd is stabilizer related. I’m trying to find a stock stabilizer to swap out the ats. I have always been a firm believer of if it’s set up right you don’t need one but the Jl seems like it really does.

When the front end is off the ground and you quickly turn the wheel to the left it’s a steady consistent resistance. When you quickly turn it to the right you get about 1” of travel with a low resistance and then it suddenly gets more resistance. It’s almost like the stabilizer has a dead spot to the right.
It doesn’t make a difference on where it is on the shaft but it’s 100% steady resistance to the left and 1” of slack when you turn to the right.
The stabilizer can definitely be bad, I had to let some pressure out of a regular non thru shaft one I had. It was causing a pull. But I haven’t heard of the fox racing thru shaft having any issues, that’s what I hav now. Is this the one you have ?
Jeep Wrangler JL At the end of my rope of steering issues.***FIXED!**** 460C4500-D2DF-4E0C-BA8C-A7260695E4C4

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I'm in a similar situation. I had no wobbles until I installed the Meralcloak 2.5" lift. I already had the MC Rocksport SS installed for a few months before the lift. After the lift and on the stock tires, I noticed a bit of a "nibble" in the steering wheel between 45 and 55 mph. Smooth otherwise. A few weeks later added 37's on beadlocks. That didn't help. Spent plenty of time under there re-torquing. Set my toe to 1/16" in, replaced the drag link and tie rod for MC bits, added a Rustys steering brace, added balancing beads...still seem to have a wobble at right about 53 mph. I have noticed there is a tendency to want to start a death wobble episode a slower speeds too but it corrects pretty quick. The wobble almost feels like it's trying to decide if it wants to pull left then changes it's mind and wants to go right, then back again. Almost like it's flighty (but not) or has a loose / dead spot (bit it doesn't). I haven't checked ball joints or unit bearings yet, but it's only got 8500 miles on it (2000 on 37's and lift).
I guess that’s a fairly good way to describe it, mine feels like it is struggling to decide what direction it wants to go. What tire are you running?

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
The stabilizer can definitely be bad, I had to let some pressure out of a regular non thru shaft one I had. It was causing a pull. But I haven’t heard of the fox racing thru shaft having any issues, that’s what I hav now. Is this the one you have ?
Jeep Wrangler JL At the end of my rope of steering issues.***FIXED!**** 460C4500-D2DF-4E0C-BA8C-A7260695E4C4
Yup, same one.