hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
sweet! To be clear and make sure I understand correctly. all the splicing is done on the new visor itself that was purchased. Nothing was done to the cabling attached directly to the vehicle on the driver side of roll cage?
That is correct, all done on visor. Basically all you are doing is pulling power from vanity light (red wire) and supplying power homelink unit over yellow wire. Reason for cutting/capping so not to feed power back.
Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
Also, I have read somewhere on here the Tazer Mini can now allow this (activating Homelink) without modding wires however haven't tried.

edit - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...link-to-my-jl-sport.52340/page-3#post-1236806
I just added the Homelink visor to my '21 JL Sport S today. As long as you have 3 wires going to the 3-pin plug for the visor, you are all set as long as you have a Tazer JL Mini or better. The Tazer JL Lite will not work. I was able to turn on Homelink and away it went. Works perfect. Programmed it in about 30 seconds. I really like the fact that Jeep has to be on for it to work. If I am parked outside for some reason with doors off, nobody can access my garage. The Homelink is led backlit to match the rest of the interior. If you dont have the Tazer JL Mini, I recommend that anyway. Worth every penny!!!!!!!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I just added the Homelink visor to my '21 JL Sport S today. As long as you have 3 wires going to the 3-pin plug for the visor, you are all set as long as you have a Tazer JL Mini or better. The Tazer JL Lite will not work. I was able to turn on Homelink and away it went. Works perfect. Programmed it in about 30 seconds. I really like the fact that Jeep has to be on for it to work. If I am parked outside for some reason with doors off, nobody can access my garage. The Homelink is led backlit to match the rest of the interior. If you dont have the Tazer JL Mini, I recommend that anyway. Worth every penny!!!!!!!
Saw listed in the JSCAN app today, that you can enable Homelink with it too..

JbuckTN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle 80th Anniversary - Diesel
Saw listed in the JSCAN app today, that you can enable Homelink with it too..
Greetings all. I have my Jeep LP on order and should be here in two weeks from today. I am getting excited and been reading forums. Finally joined and have a few questions.

Scenario: I did not want to pay the $600 for the convenience group (I will already have remote start with the cold weather group). I figured that I could add the visor with homelink and it would just work. After reading this forum however, it appeared that the computer needs to be 'told' to activate the yellow wire on the harness or I need to break out the soldering iron.

Question 1 - I am guessing a dealer can activate this if you ask, but I was wondering if anyone has done this and the amount they charge?

Alternatively, it looks like I can get the JL Tazer Mini and do it or I can use the JSCAN ODBD software (with the right adaptor of course). I do not want to run the Tazer 100% of the time, although it does do some cool 'stuff'. After researching, it looks like the JSCAN app requires the cable to bypass the security gateway.

Question 2- Does the Tazer or the JSCAN cable need to be connected 100% of the time JUST to enable the homelink option? I am thinking this is a one and done persistent option but wanted to ask this group.

Thanks y'all! I appreciate the help. Looks like a great bunch of folks in the group1!!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Greetings all. I have my Jeep LP on order and should be here in two weeks from today. I am getting excited and been reading forums. Finally joined and have a few questions.

Scenario: I did not want to pay the $600 for the convenience group (I will already have remote start with the cold weather group). I figured that I could add the visor with homelink and it would just work. After reading this forum however, it appeared that the computer needs to be 'told' to activate the yellow wire on the harness or I need to break out the soldering iron.

Question 1 - I am guessing a dealer can activate this if you ask, but I was wondering if anyone has done this and the amount they charge?

Alternatively, it looks like I can get the JL Tazer Mini and do it or I can use the JSCAN ODBD software (with the right adaptor of course). I do not want to run the Tazer 100% of the time, although it does do some cool 'stuff'. After researching, it looks like the JSCAN app requires the cable to bypass the security gateway.

Question 2- Does the Tazer or the JSCAN cable need to be connected 100% of the time JUST to enable the homelink option? I am thinking this is a one and done persistent option but wanted to ask this group.

Thanks y'all! I appreciate the help. Looks like a great bunch of folks in the group1!!
@JbuckTN

Doubt dealer would activate for you... and if they dud, they'd charge you $125+

No, you do not need to leave anything connected 100% of the time. You enable and that is it.

JbuckTN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JbuckTN

Doubt dealer would activate for you... and if they dud, they'd charge you $125+

No, you do not need to leave anything connected 100% of the time. You enable and that is it.
Got it. Thanks @Rhinebeck01 I appreciate it. I need a new ODB II adaptor anyway (Mine is WiFI currently and painful to use). Ordering a iCar Pro BLE, unless you have a better suggestion? It seemed to be the best per JSCAN app.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JbuckTN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
What's wrong with $10 for a spare 3 button garage remote from Amazon clipped to the visor or in the glovebox? Is there some other functionality built-in homelink offers?

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

What's wrong with $10 for a spare 3 button garage remote from Amazon clipped to the visor or in the glovebox? Is there some other functionality built-in homelink offers?
Nothing, other than the remote is visible if clipped to the sun visor, can be found by a car thief if left in the glove box and can be used at anytime with or without the vehicle running.

Homelink can only be used when the vehicle is running

JbuckTN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That one will do but best per JSCAN app ... per JSCAN is this pricier one... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JFRFJG6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's the one I use..
I have one more question @Rhinebeck01 - Do I need to have the Security Gateway Bypass cable to write the Homelink data to my computer? After reading, I am thinking yes, but wanted to check. Any recommendations as to what brand I should get if so?

Once I get my Jeep and get this working, I will post back to the group as to my results.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have one more question @Rhinebeck01 - Do I need to have the Security Gateway Bypass cable to write the Homelink data to my computer? After reading, I am thinking yes, but wanted to check. Any recommendations as to what brand I should get if so?

Once I get my Jeep and get this working, I will post back to the group as to my results.
@JbuckTN

YES
You need the cable unless you opt to buy a bypass module from ZAutomotive and use that instead....
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/bypass-module/

the doctor

First Name
Ahitor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 door
Do all sports have the wiring in it? My doesn’t have power Windows or door or anything else 😂

JbuckTN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got my Jeep, changed out the visor, and ready to post the results.

1 - Purchase the Homelink visor. Mine was part number 6BR80TX7AM for the JLU and I paid $ 78.07 for it.
2 - Get an ODB programmer that works with Jscan and download Jscan. (You will need to purchase it for something like $20 specifically for your VIN).
2 - Acquire a 12+8 cable and hook to the Jeep by unplugging the SGW (Secure Gateway) and connecting cable to the CAN bus (the only side the 12+8 cable can be hooked up on)
2a (optional) - Now is the time to install an SGW Extension Cable. I got mine from Z Automotive and works great. You will thank yourself for doing this later.
3 - Swap out the stock visor for the Homelink visor. The plug to the visor is attached and I see no reason why all Wrangler models would not have the power wire prewired for Homelink, but you can tell once you take it apart. I assume no liabilities here, it is easy to look prior to purchasing anything.
4- You have to take off the trim on the driver's side of the roll cage (4 screws and remove). Pretty easy. This exposes the wiring harness.
5 - After installing the new Homelink visor and replacing trim, program your JL to "Homelink=Active" via Jscan, you should be good to go.
6 - Program Homelink to your garage doors.
7 - Enjoy your new Homelink and now you have toe tools to further customize your JL.

Easy easy and will operate as factory-installed with power being on before being able to operate the Homelink system.

I attached a couple of photos of the stock non-Homelink visor and you can see there is no wire on one of the pins. The Homelink visor has all wires, as does the harness.

Sorry, I should have done a Youtube video, but it went quick and I had no issues.

Let me know if this works for you!

IMG_5811.jpg

IMG_5812.jpg
Sponsored