Wrong Steering Gear Installed for TSB 08-074-20

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I made sure my new 2021 had the black cast iron one on it when I bought it in September after reading about the issues here. So far it steers just fine (for a Wrangler). No drifting or anything weird so far.
Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I hope it's not going down that road. We'll find out pretty soon. Here's a section of my repair sheet.

0120211615.jpg

Here is a copy of the original TSB. It has since been updated to include lifted Jeeps and most recently updated to include an alignment.

Attachments

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a copy of the original TSB. It has since been updated to include lifted Jeeps and most recently updated to include an alignment.
So based off this the silver steering box has will be replaced by the black steering box?

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
So based off this the silver steering box has will be replaced by the black steering box?

Yes. Just like every 21' JL I have seen. The new iron steering gear is much heavier than the previous aluminum, uses different bolts (all the same length) and most importantly: It is a HUGE improvement in steering!!

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
does anyone have the new TSB and a pic and part number for the new box.... I saw the post above shows one for a two door is it the same for a 4dr....I just want to make sure I have all the correct info prior to going so those idiots don't try to pass one over me....

Sponsored

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Well this is interesting if true. Wonder if they got enough AL gearboxes back in to QC and are releasing the "good ones" back out for use or have developed a method to QC the stock they had on the shelves of the older AL boxes.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Either the OP was fed a line by the dealer or he misunderstood. Here is a screen shot of TSB 08-003-21 and the parts numbers, at least for the 2dr and 4dr LHD, haven't changed from the original TSB. They're still steel boxes.

Later,
Johnny
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrong Steering Gear Installed for TSB 08-074-20 SteeringBoxTSB 08-003-21

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Either the OP was fed a line by the dealer or he misunderstood. Here is a screen shot of TSB 08-003-21 and the parts numbers, at least for the 2dr and 4dr LHD, haven't changed from the original TSB. They're still steel boxes.

Later,
Johnny
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrong Steering Gear Installed for TSB 08-074-20 SteeringBoxTSB 08-003-21
I am glad you found this! After seeing this, I can't even imagine how they made this very obvious mistake. Ok, so I was trying to be generous towards the dealership and assumed this new TSB changed the parts used. My apologies to alarming anyone unnecessarily.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I am glad you found this! After seeing this, I can't even imagine how they made this very obvious mistake. Ok, so I was trying to be generous towards the dealership and assumed this new TSB changed the parts used. My apologies to alarming anyone unnecessarily.
Itā€™s an easy to make mistake due to the way dealerships are arranged. The tech looks at the vehicle and says itā€™s needs the TSB performed. A service writer asks the parts guy to order a steering gear box and they use the vin to pull it up, the system says hereā€™s your part number, and they order the one that isnā€™t back ordered for 2 months. The service writer then gets the number from the parts guys, pastes it onto your RO, and the tech gets a part. Tech fails to look at the sticker or the box, saying itā€™s not his job, and there you are with 3 people who have no idea what theyā€™ve done. You then ask the service writer and they make shit up because they donā€™t understand cars.

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
I just got a copy of the full TSB 08-003-21 from my dealer. Seems the difference is that it lists part numbers for Diesel applications and also right hand drive applications. It also specifies that if the vehicle was manufactured before 1/22/19 that the track bar should be replaced.

Sponsored

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
Itā€™s an easy to make mistake due to the way dealerships are arranged. The tech looks at the vehicle and says itā€™s needs the TSB performed. A service writer asks the parts guy to order a steering gear box and they use the vin to pull it up, the system says hereā€™s your part number, and they order the one that isnā€™t back ordered for 2 months. The service writer then gets the number from the parts guys, pastes it onto your RO, and the tech gets a part. Tech fails to look at the sticker or the box, saying itā€™s not his job, and there you are with 3 people who have no idea what theyā€™ve done. You then ask the service writer and they make shit up because they donā€™t understand cars.
So true

shoregrrrl

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Hi! Would you be so kind as to post the full TSB - I canā€™t find it online and my ā€˜18 JLU is at the dealer (again) to try to resolve the steering wander and off-center issues. Thanks in advance for your help! :)

I just got a copy of the full TSB 08-003-21 from my dealer. Seems the difference is that it lists part numbers for Diesel applications and also right hand drive applications. It also specifies that if the vehicle was manufactured before 1/22/19 that the track bar should be replaced.

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Hi! Would you be so kind as to post the full TSB - I canā€™t find it online and my ā€˜18 JLU is at the dealer (again) to try to resolve the steering wander and off-center issues. Thanks in advance for your help! :)
I had posted it last night. Pulled it down when I saw the note on it about being property of FCA and can only be shared with written permission from FCA. I also checked forum Terms of Use and they prevent sharing something like that. I know others post TSBs, but my luck runs such that I would be the one FCA/Stellantis decided to go after. I can answer any questions you have about it.

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
I had posted it last night. Pulled it down when I saw the note on it about being property of FCA and can only be shared with written permission from FCA. I also checked forum Terms of Use and they prevent sharing something like that. I know others post TSBs, but my luck runs such that I would be the one FCA/Stellantis decided to go after. I can answer any questions you have about it.
free speech buddy nothing they can do to you.....

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hey, at least they didnā€™t replace it with an alternator or brake caliper.
Sponsored