Sponsored

Necron 99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
How do you make sure they updated the software? I do not have any confidence that my dealer will do it. And I'm not willing to just take their word for it.
I would make sure that the updated software is listed on your work order. Initially, my work order was missing the I-Bolt and the software update when I went to go pick it up. I questioned them about it and was reassured verbally that everything was okay and it had been done correctly. After a ten minute conversation, I accepted their word and left the dealership, feeling slightly bad that I was questioning them.

Fast forward a couple of days and things still didn't sit right with me. I scheduled a visit at a different dealership to verify the TSB repair. It turns out the software needed an update. One note about the software. On my work order, the software update had a part number associated with it. When I asked them about it, I was told that a new part hadn't been installed, that's just the way they list their updates.

TLDR: Make sure your work order matches the TSB exactly and don't feel bad about questioning your dealer about nuts, bolts, part numbers, and software.
Sponsored

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
I'm still waiting on mine (as it sits at the dealer) as they wait for the bolts to arrive.

I called this morning - and left a v-mail for the service guy helping me.

I told him not to call me until he has verified the software has been updated, that during the test drive the alignment is dead centre, and after the test drive they have re-checked the steering fluid level in case it's settled.

Have an appointment in 3 days for some suspension work - so hoping they hurry...

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm still waiting on mine (as it sits at the dealer) as they wait for the bolts to arrive.

I called this morning - and left a v-mail for the service guy helping me.

I told him not to call me until he has verified the software has been updated, that during the test drive the alignment is dead centre, and after the test drive they have re-checked the steering fluid level in case it's settled.

Have an appointment in 3 days for some suspension work - so hoping they hurry...
Dealership just called.

He said that he played my voicemail for the tech that did the work etc - and he can confirm the software was updated, the alignment is true, and the fluid was checked again after a test drive.

I'll post up my work order when I get home... See what is says...

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TSB 08-074-20 COMPLETE

PROBLEM: I had a dead spot - about 1" either side of centre. When driving straight down a road, I could move the steering wheel left 1" and right 1" without affecting the steering. In effect, it was a 2" dead zone.

When driving in wind, or on certain roads it would be hard to maintain the Jeep within the road lines and I was worried someone would call the police to report that I seemed impaired.

DID THE TSB FIX THE STEERING? : Yes & No. Immediately when driving after the fix was complete, the steering wheel felt a little tighter, but also, turning the wheel - immediately turned the Jeep. I was almost prone to cutting corners too sharp when turning now, as I was used to there being no response from the Jeep until I'd turned the wheel more in the past.

That was in the city at low speed.

Tonight I took it out on the highway. It doesn't feel much better. It's a little better. But, the faster I drive, the more dead spot seems to come back. It's kind of frustrating.

*Did the TSB repair alter anything else in your Jeep? - Yes. I will talk about this at the end of this post.

WHAT WAS PERFORMED IN THE TSB : Replace the steering gear, new steering fluid, system software upgrade, alignment.

WHY DOES YOUR INVOICE SHOW SOFTWARE UPGRADE VERSIONS, HOW MUCH FLUID WAS USED, AND ALIGNMENT DATA? : I told the dealership not to call me to pick up the Jeep until they had the updated software version recorded for me, as well as double checked the steering fluid after a test drive, and that my alignment was perfect - as it was before I took it in.

INVOICE DATA - You can see what they did here. Basically lists what's on the TSB. I did see 'their' copy of it when at the dealer, and all the parts they installed cost about $600CAD. They are N/C on my copy.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 5.52.33 PM

What if my invoice does not say they upgraded/reprogram the EPS etc? - Well, the dealer gets paid by FC for doing all the work on theTSB. Technically if they don't do the work, and it's not on the invoice that they submit to FC then they would not get paid. So - Maybe they did not do it for you (and tell you they did). Or maybe they did not do it, then added it later to submit to FC (more money for less work). I have a hard time believing a dealer would not list work they did - and get less money.

I would be wary of any dealer not listing all of the steps that are required on your invoice - especially if you still have issues after.

And they did your alignment after the TSB? : Absolutely. Before and after results provided. Again, I would be wary of any dealer who does not do your alignment after this procedure.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") IMG_0157

So they installed the gear and fluid and test drove it? Yes, and they noted it all.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 5.58.24 PM

You said they updated your software - to what version? You can see below.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 10.00.50 PM

Can you find this software info through the stereo interface? No. I was hoping this info would be in the dealer menu, but it's not. I could not find it before I took it in, nor after.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") IMG_0150

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") IMG_0151

As a side note - the Dealer Menu will tell you when your overall software and mapping data is from which you might find useful at some point.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") IMG_0152

*Did the TSB repair alter anything else in your Jeep? You don't need to read this...

Interestingly - all of my settings that I set through the stereo were retained - except one which changed:

The setting to have the horn honk when you press the lock button on the remote changed - and it would now honk when pressing the button. I've had that disabled for 4 months. The tech says they didn't go and change that one setting lol. I had to go and set that again to how I want.

IN CONCLUSION - SHOULD YOU GET IT DONE? Well, if you are concerned with your steering feeling loose. I was worried people would call the police thinking I'm impaired as sometimes it's hard to drive straight on the highway. It's not fixed like I was expecting - at high speed there's still some play, however at city speeds it's a very noticeable improvement.

Last edited:

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
TSB 08-074-20 COMPLETE

PROBLEM: I had a dead spot - about 1" either side of centre. When driving straight down a road, I could move the steering wheel left 1" and right 1" without affecting the steering. In effect, it was a 2" dead zone.

When driving in wind, or on certain roads it would be hard to maintain the Jeep within the road lines and I was worried someone would call the police to report that I seemed impaired.

DID THE TSB FIX THE STEERING? : Yes & No. Immediately when driving after the fix was complete, the steering wheel felt a little tighter, but also, turning the wheel - immediately turned the Jeep. I was almost prone to cutting corners too sharp when turning now, as I was used to there being no response from the Jeep until I'd turned the wheel more in the past.

Tonight I took it out on the highway. It doesn't feel much better. It's a little better. But, the faster I drive, the more dead spot seems to come back. It's kind of frustrating.

*Did the TSB repair alter anything else in your Jeep? - Yes. I will talk about this at the end of this post.

WHAT WAS PERFORMED IN THE TSB : Replace the steering gear, new steering fluid, system software upgrade, alignment.

WHY DOES YOUR INVOICE SHOW SOFTWARE UPGRADE VERSIONS, HOW MUCH FLUID WAS USED, AND ALIGNMENT DATA? : I told the dealership not to call me to pick up the Jeep until they had the updated software version recorded for me, as well as double checked the steering fluid after a test drive, and that my alignment was perfect - as it was before I took it in.

INVOICE DATA - You can see what they did here. Basically lists what's on the TSB. I did see 'their' copy of it when at the dealer, and all the parts they installed cost about $600CAD. They are N/C on my copy.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") IMG_0152

What if my invoice does not say they upgraded/reprogram the EPS etc? - Well, the dealer gets paid by FC for doing all the work on theTSB. Technically if they don't do the work, and it's not on the invoice that they submit to FC then they would not get paid. So - Maybe they did not do it for you (and tell you they did). Or maybe they did not do it, then added it later to submit to FC (more money for less work). I have a hard time believing a dealer would not list work they did - and get less money.

I would be wary of any dealer not listing all of the steps that are required on your invoice - especially if you still have issues after.

And they did your alignment after the TSB? : Absolutely. Before and after results provided. Again, I would be wary of any dealer who does not do your alignment after this procedure.

So they installed the gear and fluid and test drove it? Yes, and they noted it all.

Can you find this software info through the stereo interface? No. I was hoping this info would be in the dealer menu, but it's not. I could not find it before I took it in, nor after.

As a side note - the Dealer Menu will tell you when your overall software and mapping data is from which you might find useful at some point.

*Did the TSB repair alter anything else in your Jeep? You don't need to read this...

Interestingly - all of my settings that I set through the stereo were retained - except one which changed:

The setting to have the horn honk when you press the lock button on the remote changed - and it would now honk when pressing the button. I've had that disabled for 4 months. The tech says they didn't go and change that one setting lol. I had to go and set that again to how I want.

2. There are a lot of threads on this forum about batteries and voltage. I always participate when people ask about voltages.

When I bought my Jeep in September 2020, the voltage always read ~13.8v.

After I installed two LiPo batteries (12,000mAh) at the beginning of October - m y voltage has always been ~14.2+v. Always. I actually check the voltage a few times a week when driving just out of curiosity becasue of threads on this forum. It's always been steady.

View attachment 414244

Until the TSB was done.

Now, my voltage is back to ~13.8

View attachment 414245

So - I can't explain that...

IN CONCLUSION - SHOULD YOU GET IT DONE? Well, if you are concerned with your steering feeling loose. I was worried people would call the police thinking I'm impaired as sometimes it's hard to drive straight on the highway. It's not fixed like I was expecting - at high speed there's still some play, however at city speeds it's a very noticeable improvement.
Thanks for the write up - my parts finally came in this past Friday and the TSB work is scheduled for this Thursday (21st). I have a 2 door so I am keeping my fingers crossed they ordered the correct parts since the steering gear box PN is different from the 4 door. I'll watch for the items you mentioned (both mentioning before the work on drop off and check afterwards).

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Thanks for the write up - my parts finally came in this past Friday and the TSB work is scheduled for this Thursday (21st). I have a 2 door so I am keeping my fingers crossed they ordered the correct parts since the steering gear box PN is different from the 4 door. I'll watch for the items you mentioned (both mentioning before the work on drop off and check afterwards).
That's interesting. I also have a 2 door. And I have a Thursday the 21st appointment for mine. Mine is also billet silver. And, my name is Ken.

Jwisdom

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Solar consultant
I believe I have the first version. See picture below. Should I remove the Synergy brace before taking it into the dealership or will they be able to replace it and not break anything?

I'd take it off. Took my jeep in last week for the tsb. the tech broke a tool trying to remove a bolt and ended up ripping the boot on the end of the draglink.. shit happens but if they break aftermarket parts i cant imagine the fun it would be to get it replaced.

THEREED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Had the TSB done. Invoice has no mention of software update. Not happy with results as I have more of a dead spot than before... steering wheel was off so I adjusted drag link and then looked and saw that 2 of the old bolts used...
Should I see about having the correct 2 bolts replaced? Does it matter? Could air in the system or lack of software update cause my dead spot? Has anyone adjusted the lash on this new steel version?

I am very frustrated as this is my second steering box. The last one was better except when it heated up so I opted for this one thinking it would be better in all conditions. My dealer has been good doing work without much question but I am concerned they may not have done it correctly or the software flash. I am stock except for rubicon tires and wheels on a Sahara

That's interesting. I also have a 2 door. And I have a Thursday the 21st appointment for mine. Mine is also billet silver. And, my name is Ken.
90F819D0-B894-48F4-84C3-7349E3DD4966.jpeg

780B3FAC-61EC-4897-A29E-9E60A8CCBA5A.jpeg

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USMC
Good thing we both don't live in the same area or that would be more interesting:), especially if we used the same dealer.

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USMC
Had the TSB done. Invoice has no mention of software update. Not happy with results as I have more of a dead spot than before... steering wheel was off so I adjusted drag link and then looked and saw that 2 of the old bolts used...
Should I see about having the correct 2 bolts replaced? Does it matter? Could air in the system or lack of software update cause my dead spot? Has anyone adjusted the lash on this new steel version?

I am very frustrated as this is my second steering box. The last one was better except when it heated up so I opted for this one thinking it would be better in all conditions. My dealer has been good doing work without much question but I am concerned they may not have done it correctly or the software flash. I am stock except for rubicon tires and wheels on a Sahara

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 780B3FAC-61EC-4897-A29E-9E60A8CCBA5A

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 780B3FAC-61EC-4897-A29E-9E60A8CCBA5A
Issues like this is what I am concerned about. Know my dealer is probably going to be annoyed with me since I am going to request to verify all parts prior to the service. TSB specifically states there are (4) new bolts to be used.

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Issues like this is what I am concerned about. Know my dealer is probably going to be annoyed with me since I am going to request to verify all parts prior to the service. TSB specifically states there are (4) new bolts to be used.
It's five bolts actually: 1 for the pinch bolt on the spline (?) shaft. And four to attach the body of the box to the frame. And the software update is also required.

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I was scheduled for January 8th to have the work done. Called the dealer they didn't get the part. New ETA 45 days at a minimum. I figure that I will get it in the next year.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I finally had the TSB completed. I began the process in September and had more than one hiccup with the dealer. But, Helen from Jeep Cares sorted it out for me. Thanks! It really does feel so much better.
how does it ride now? I go in tuesday for mine...I heard that was a big fix for sloppy steering without spending extra money out of pocket on steering components.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry - got impatient and made my appointment with Jeep for tomorrow AM and the technician emailed me the TSB. Fingers crossed this is the fix we all need (and want)!!!
Did you ever get the TSB done? Did it improve the feel and steering? Which dealership did you go to? I go next Tuesday to Pearson Jeep down in Richmond, VA

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
TSB 08-074-20 COMPLETE

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 5.52.33 PM.png

IMG_0157.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 5.58.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 10.00.50 PM.png

IMG_0150.jpeg

IMG_0151.jpeg

IMG_0152.jpeg

Just looked at my report - any idea why my bolt numbers are different?
TSB 08-074-20 COMPLETE

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 5.52.33 PM.png

IMG_0157.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 5.58.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 10.00.50 PM.png

IMG_0150.jpeg

IMG_0151.jpeg

IMG_0152.jpeg

Just looked at my report - any idea why my bolt numbers are different? And why one of mine is called a screw: hex flange head?

see photo...

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") CC098995-7E94-4591-BF55-7CE8A2ECAD3C
Sponsored