Sponsored

20k recommended cabin filter change, no way!

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Didn't know K&N made cabin filters. I have used there air filters for a long time. Looked up online $69.99, not sure if its cost effective, as I bought 5 Jeep JL cabin filter on amazon for $10.99 each and I change every 20K miles:crying:
Sponsored

OP
OP

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't know K&N made cabin filters. I have used there air filters for a long time. Looked up online $69.99, not sure if its cost effective, as I bought 5 Jeep JL cabin filter on amazon for $10.99 each and I change every 20K miles:crying:
Probably not if you are going to change it every 20k miles. But I'll probably clean mine out with every oil change (5-7k miles). And also clean my AFE dry washable filter as well.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Road gravel can fit thru a K&N.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'll let you know when dust starts shooting into my cabin when I off-road next haha
:LOL: I ran a K&N on a truck that saw lots of dusty roads. The inside of the intake was found covered in fine oily dust. I tossed it and put a Delco factory filter on and never saw that again. YMMY.

Reactions: VNT

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Paluss

Curious what exact $10.99 filter you found on Amazon. Was it an Amazon Basics?
Do you have a link ?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You can buy Wix WP10371 filters from Rock Auto for about $13, but the $10 shipping kills it unless you buy a bunch.

I learned my lessons about buying a bunch of filters when I bought a case of oil filters for a Camaro that I only had a few years. Ended up giving the filters to the buyer. Buy what you need, when you need them.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Some years our HVACs in our cars get a little funky. I use a foaming A/C evaporator coil cleaner before changing the filter. Seems to work.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
One of my buds complained that his air condition was just not as powerful or blew as hard as it did new. He had them check the Jeep for a warranty issue. They found his cabin filter weighted 4 pounds. It was packed solid. He usually run as the last Jeep on the trail. So his Jeep is always in the dust. New filter and everything was like new again.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
One of my buds complained that his air condition was just not as powerful or blew as hard as it did new. He had them check the Jeep for a warranty issue. They found his cabin filter weighted 4 pounds. It was packed solid. He usually run as the last Jeep on the trail. So his Jeep is always in the dust. New filter and everything was like new again.
He should check to see if his cowl drains are plugged and the evaporator too.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
@Paluss

Curious what exact $10.99 filter you found on Amazon. Was it an Amazon Basics?
Do you have a link ?
I believe it was this filter, pg cabin air filter pc4302, I bought them 3 years ago when I got my JLUR looks like the price increased by a few dollars still a good deal, my filter was dirty, but they get dirty fast, I checked it again after 5k miles and it was pretty soiled...

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Probably not if you are going to change it every 20k miles. But I'll probably clean mine out with every oil change (5-7k miles). And also clean my AFE dry washable filter as well.
Yep I agree, is there an oil that you apply like the air filter or is it just wash and re-use?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I believe it was this filter, pg cabin air filter pc4302, I bought them 3 years ago when I got my JLUR looks like the price increased by a few dollars still a good deal, my filter was dirty, but they get dirty fast, I checked it again after 5k miles and it was pretty soiled...
@Paluss

Best price I have found over the last few months and even today, is for the OEM 68301863AA
Cabin Air Filter....sold by this eBAY vendor. The vendor is reliable too.

Cost of the OEM is $13.39 with Free Shipping on eBAY.

Last edited:

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Changed out my cabin filter today at 11,300 miles and I was surprised to see how bad it was. I have maybe done 6 quick 2 hour off road trips, otherwise just driving around Los Angeles and one 1k mile round trip when I visited family in northern california.

This thing is filthy. Literally covered in dust and I don't see how it would be effective at all for another 9k miles. I never use my AC either or have air blowing through the vents. I have my windows down 99% of the time.

I popped in the KN washable one just now since I figure it will pay for itself after I wash it a few times.

Just thought I would share since I would personally probably recommend changing every 10k miles after seeing this today.
Your cabin filter does not look too bad. I have seen bad. Even if you do not use your HVAC, there is still air flow through the filter, when driving forward, due to the vehicles flow through ventilation system.

In the photo below, no money was wasted repacing this cabin filter. In my opinion this is bad. 🤣

Jeep Wrangler JL 20k recommended cabin filter change, no way! 01a-jp-clogged-cabin-air-filter
Sponsored