Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Attention overlander nerds, I need your help. Me and the fam are heading across country this summer for our vacay. From Georgia to Arizona, then into SW Colorado and Utah. Ending our trip at Mt Rushmore in July 4th...because America.

So we’re getting stuff ready for our trip and was wondering about what you nerds use for cooking? I like the idea of a 2- burner stove that I could throw a griddle on but I’m open to suggestions. My wife wants a skottle, me not so much.

PS, we’re cooking for 5 or 6
Sponsored

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stormin’ Moorman

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Beef jerky and knuckle sandwiches for the kids.

Honey and sweet kisses for the better half.

Beer and corn nuts for the driver.

'Merica.
Are we brothers? You sound like we’re brothers. Lol

F41DA469-4445-42A1-B172-68F97AFBE29B.jpeg

OP
OP
Stormin’ Moorman

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Camp Chef Everest Stove is a nice 2 burner design. Sounds like an awesome trip.
That’s sort of what I was leaning towards. Are they better quality than the Coleman?

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L Turbo Diesel Rubicon

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
I like the camp chef because you can get a flexible connector for a small propane bottle but the stove itself if quite a bit bigger than a coleman triton. Size and use wise the coleman would be the best bet for me if I didn't have to use that rigid regulator pipe. The camp chef and coleman also use a different thread on the regulator pipe so they can't be interchanged.

If you're interested in a pic of the everest 2 and triton together let me know and I'll take one for you

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I was using a two burner stove, but have since switched to the skottle. The skottle is fast, you can cook everything on it and it is easy to pack. The skottle set up, take down and clean up is fast enough there is no reason to not have a hot meal.

I do also bring along a single burner that goes onto of bottle for making coffee and heating water to clean dishes.

OP
OP
Stormin’ Moorman

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I like the camp chef because you can get a flexible connector for a small propane bottle but the stove itself if quite a bit bigger than a coleman triton. Size and use wise the coleman would be the best bet for me if I didn't have to use that rigid regulator pipe. The camp chef and coleman also use a different thread on the regulator pipe so they can't be interchanged.

If you're interested in a pic of the everest 2 and triton together let me know and I'll take one for you
I think we're going to use the little green bottles, but are you saying if i wanted to use a refillable bottle I couldn't use the coleman?

OP
OP
Stormin’ Moorman

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I was using a two burner stove, but have since switched to the skottle. The skottle is fast, you can cook everything on it and it is easy to pack. The skottle set up, take down and clean up is fast enough there is no reason to not have a hot meal.

I do also bring along a single burner that goes onto of bottle for making coffee and heating water to clean dishes.
My wife wants the Skottle but I'm trying not to spend $300+ haha.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
I think we're going to use the little green bottles, but are you saying if i wanted to use a refillable bottle I couldn't use the coleman?
you can use a refillable bottle with the coleman, but you'll still need to have the rigid pipe and regulator connected to it, then an adapter pipe from that to the refillable bottle.
the connection from the bottle/regulator to the stove is made with rigid piping requiring an additional 5ish inches of space directly next to the stove so if you're planning on using it in a drawer or tight space you need to account for this. (i did not and built my drawer a bit too small)

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.