Sponsored

What all do I need to upgrade when increasing my lift?

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
I have a 2020 JL Sport S 2 Door and am just starting to get into modifying it for trail use after 4,000 miles. I'm trying to do a build on a budget because I'm military and quite frankly don't earn a lot of money to put towards this. My goal is to buy most things used if possible and use a lot of factory parts, specifically from Rubicon's. My current goal is somewhat 3 parts. Get used JLU Rubicon suspension, get used Rubicon tires (eventually getting 35's and new fenders). I know that if I can get a JLU Rubicon suspension from one that had a hard top+steel bumper I should be able to get at least 2" of lift. But I've read on forums that some people need to extend certain parts of the undercarriage in order for everything to run smooth. Also with the drivetrain, should I have any concerns with it regarding a lift? I don't ever plan on lifting above 2.5". This is my only vehicle so I'm trying to make it trail-capable while still able to drive well on the road. If anyone can provide any information regarding my questions, or point me to forum threads, I'd really apreciate it!
Sponsored

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

First off, thank you for your service. Rubicon springs and shocks to start. If you can get the Rubicon fenders, you are set for 35's. Don't waste your time on the Rubicon wheels, all Wrangers run the same size wheel (I am 95% sure about this statement). Rubicons have wider axels, so you should save up and get some new wheels with greater backspacing. Longer Lower Control Arms (LCA) from Mopar will get everything back to spec.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Depending on the trails you plan to hit I’d start looking at skid plates. The belly of these things hang low and the diffs are prone to damage as well.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I have a 2020 JL Sport S 2 Door and am just starting to get into modifying it for trail use after 4,000 miles. I'm trying to do a build on a budget because I'm military and quite frankly don't earn a lot of money to put towards this. My goal is to buy most things used if possible and use a lot of factory parts, specifically from Rubicon's. My current goal is somewhat 3 parts. Get used JLU Rubicon suspension, get used Rubicon tires (eventually getting 35's and new fenders). I know that if I can get a JLU Rubicon suspension from one that had a hard top+steel bumper I should be able to get at least 2" of lift. But I've read on forums that some people need to extend certain parts of the undercarriage in order for everything to run smooth. Also with the drivetrain, should I have any concerns with it regarding a lift? I don't ever plan on lifting above 2.5". This is my only vehicle so I'm trying to make it trail-capable while still able to drive well on the road. If anyone can provide any information regarding my questions, or point me to forum threads, I'd really apreciate it!
Like Ryan said, thanks for your service!
Sounds like a solid plan, if you plan on a steel bumper/winch in the near future you might want to add a spacer in front too, but not too bad having to re-do the front if you aren't sure about those additions.
Here's my thread on the suspension swap if you haven't seen it, and post #4 is the LCA info/install
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/

And like you, I keep things pretty tight budget-wise :)

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Rubicons have wider axels, so you should save up and get some new wheels with greater backspacing. Longer Lower Control Arms (LCA) from Mopar will get everything back to spec.
Good point, a 17x8.5 is one of the most common wheel sizes for Jeeps and if you can get the offset in the zero range +/- 10 that's a pretty good fit at the fender w/ the milder lift. As you go higher you want offset more negative, like a -12, so try to think ahead quite a bit when wheel sizing. I have a 17x8.5 +10 on 295/70/17s and these still have a bit of room at full lock and articulation. I plan to go to 315/70/17s next tire purchase so I'll probably only have a couple mm before contacting anything (hopefully).

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your service!

If I were to do a budget build, I'd do the following:

Rubicon take off suspension from a 4 door (JLUR) which had the 2.0T eTorque (2018, 2019 JLUR's and 2020 Rubicon Recons) with hardtop, steel bumper group, and tow package. This should result in the highest spring rates available for the gas engines (diesel spring rates will be higher and yield more lift). Look for spring numbers ending in 61/62 for front and 91/92 rear. The lower number will be driver side spring and the higher number will go on the passenger side.

Some kind of longer front lower control arm to correct for caster. The cheapest is the Mopar lift LCA's which are .25" longer than stock and should give you caster somewhere in the lower to mid 6* range. These can be had new for $60-$70 or maybe even cheaper used on this forum. If your budget allows, get a nice set of adjustable lower control arms. These can be $300-$350 though.

The last important item(s) which I would consider essential is to add a stronger front adjustable track bar. You can find quality ones with good bushings for $200-$300. Not only is an aftermarket TB stronger, but will allow for you to recenter your front axle after installing the Rubicon springs.

You could stop there and have a well handling Jeep. However, your rear axle will not be centered, which isn't that bad of a problem. The rear axle isn't taking as much force on it (due to no steering input), so the stock rear track bar is fine strength wise. For about $100, you can get a Rock Krawler rear track bar relocation bracket which will raise the axle mounting point and correct for the axle shift. The problem is there is no adjustment, so you get you what get. For $200 or so, you can get an adjustable rear track bar.

Once your suspension is setup, then look at adding skid plates to the vulnerable areas under your Jeep (FAD, oil pan, and transfer case/transmission areas). There's several vendors where you can buy each piece separately, which is helpful when you're on a budget.

While not a must have, a set of front sway bar disconnects will enhance your off roadability.

Keep scouring the forum for used parts, have fun building your Jeep, and thank you again for your dedication and service! :flag:
Sponsored