Sponsored

Smittybilt JL HD Pivot Tire Carrier (7743) - Install / Review / Comments

mudmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JlU Sport
Still have it on my jeep and no issues with it. Been offroad multiple times and I have no issues with rattling when I'm on the trail, if it's going to rattle, it'll rattle on the trail. Anyone complaining about rattling issues needs to make some adjustments. When I first installed my carrier it rattled a little and that's because my door wasn't perfectly lined up. Made a few adjustments and it's been solid.

Now I will say, I'm moving up to 40's with beadlocks in the future and when I do I'll probably move to a bumper mounted tire carrier because of the extra weight.
Awesome, great to hear. Can I ask what adjustments specifically you made to your door to fix it up?
Sponsored

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Mine still works perfect and no issue at all. No rattling.

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome, great to hear. Can I ask what adjustments specifically you made to your door to fix it up?
My latch wasn't inline with the striker and it was causing the rattle. I made adjustments in the hinge mounts till it lined up perfectly and didn't rattle. The instructions suggested an extra set of hands to hold the door in place but I didn't have any extra help, instead I used a bunch of painters tape to hold the door in place. There was probably some minor shifting when I tightened everything up which caused the misalignment. Easy fix though.

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Did you have to extend your bump stops at all?
I think that depends on the backspacing of your wheels. I use stock wheels so I actually have to cut the bump stop. I purchased the Energy bumpstop and from Amazon and cut to the length that works. But if I get new wheels with different back spacing I probably have to buy anther bump stop and cut to length again.

Sponsored

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I bought a long time ago and haven't installed it lol, im going to need newer tires and going 35 or 37s so now I'm going to have to.

Whats the difference between the 7743 and 7748 tire carrier's? I don't know which one i have.

How long does it take to install it? Is it hard?

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Its not hard, but a second set of hands will help big time. It might take sometime to adjust the carrier. It took me and my buddy around 3 hours. We install at the same time and help each other for the alignment part.

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
This is out of stock everywhere... anyone got a link for a website that have this in stock?

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
This is out of stock everywhere... anyone got a link for a website that have this in stock?
Why not order direct from an American made company? Yes, I will continue to hate on this product and company. :like:

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
Why not order direct from an American made company? Yes, I will continue to hate on this product and company. :like:
Isn't Smittybilt American?

Sponsored

WilderJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
American made doesn't instantly mean something is better quality then Smittybilt. I've bought a lot parts over the years from "American Made" companies that have had QC issue way bigger then Smittybilt.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
American made doesn't instantly mean something is better quality then Smittybilt. I've bought a lot parts over the years from "American Made" companies that have had QC issue way bigger then Smittybilt.
True. But it still won’t change my mind on giving them anymore of my money following poor product build, poor QC, and even poorer CS.

LA Kimball

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have this carrier installed and I find it to be very solid construction. I do think I need to make some adjustments as I do get some rattle going over bumps. To make the necessary adjustments do you loosen the hinge bolts and lift up on the tailgate side with the latch and then tighten and torque the hinge bolts back down? Thanks for the help.

3000MMiles

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Installed mine this week. Due to the comments, I took extra care and had my wife help me make sure it was aligned the first time. But its rock solid. No rattles. Easy to use the door. There are some flaws in the instructions but nothing I didn't figure out.

Was nervous I would regret buying instead of the much more expensive new Teraflex option. Nahh.... Would definitely buy again (even though it is still new).

FYI for what its worth.

tempImagehstGnU.png
Sponsored