Sponsored

Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish)

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Get ready to hear “they all do it” and/or “it’s a characteristic of a 4wd vehic

I drove in 4Hi with the rear shaft removed just as @W8KFM suggests and the thrumming is completely gone. I think @1977Jimmy has it nailed at being a rear driveshaft angle issue.

I think the pinion angle is set too high from the factory. I’m going to order a set of adjustable lower control arms to see if rotating the pinion to be 0-1 degree lower than the shaft clears the thrum.
Please report back...
Sponsored

W8KFM

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2020 Cherokee 2002 XJ Limited
I just picked mine up from the dealer last evening, They had it 2 days and decided it was caused by the Toyo Open Country AT 3 tires I had put on. They test drove it and acknowledged it does have a vibration but since they could put it in neutral coasting downhill and that the vibration was still noticeable it has to be a tire issue. They called me and asked if I wanted them to quick lane force balance the tires at my cost so I agreed. They found one tire out so they swapped it with my spare which is ok. It cost me 245.00 total for everything! I drove it about 20 miles and I can tell the tires are smoother but of course the resonant vibration is still there, in fact it seems much worse now because the tires are smoother.

I checked the rear shaft angle and it is 3 degrees, both joint angles are 1.5 degrees. I guess at this point I am going to check the shaft runout with a dial indicator and if it's ok I will order adjustable control arms and move the pinon up which should help the joint angles. There is no reason this thing should be vibrating with just 1.5 degree joint angle! These aren't even cross u joints, they are more like cv joints which should make things better!

I am so regretting trading my JK on this thing! It has other issues my JK didn't. Out of 8 Jeeps I've owned I despise this one the most! I could have bet my life the dealer would just blame the tires for this problem and I was correct. In my life I've usually found that vehicle warranty's to be pretty much worthless unless its something very major like an engine blowing up ect. I'll just fix it myself, it's not worth the hassle of dealing with those knuckleheads.

bill.jpg

Yamoo1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu
Yeah my dealer rotated tires said it was better. And they said if it still does it give it 2000 miles and let us know. He'll I rather deal with the electrical issues or the rear defrost not working or the floor of water like on the others. I think I'm bailing out.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I just picked mine up from the dealer last evening, They had it 2 days and decided it was caused by the Toyo Open Country AT 3 tires I had put on. They test drove it and acknowledged it does have a vibration but since they could put it in neutral coasting downhill and that the vibration was still noticeable it has to be a tire issue. They called me and asked if I wanted them to quick lane force balance the tires at my cost so I agreed. They found one tire out so they swapped it with my spare which is ok. It cost me 245.00 total for everything! I drove it about 20 miles and I can tell the tires are smoother but of course the resonant vibration is still there, in fact it seems much worse now because the tires are smoother.

I checked the rear shaft angle and it is 3 degrees, both joint angles are 1.5 degrees. I guess at this point I am going to check the shaft runout with a dial indicator and if it's ok I will order adjustable control arms and move the pinon up which should help the joint angles. There is no reason this thing should be vibrating with just 1.5 degree joint angle! These aren't even cross u joints, they are more like cv joints which should make things better!

I am so regretting trading my JK on this thing! It has other issues my JK didn't. Out of 8 Jeeps I've owned I despise this one the most! I could have bet my life the dealer would just blame the tires for this problem and I was correct. In my life I've usually found that vehicle warranty's to be pretty much worthless unless its something very major like an engine blowing up ect. I'll just fix it myself, it's not worth the hassle of dealing with those knuckleheads.

Jeep Wrangler JL Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish) bill
I agree it is a pain that a new and expensive vehicle has these issues. Please keep us updated if you do swap the lower control arms. I’d like to know if that fixes it or not.

-73’s ;)

W8KFM

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yesterday I put the Jeep on jack stands and checked the runout on the rear driveshaft and it was 10 thousands on the pinion end and 15 at the transfer case. I checked it at the small diameter right behind the cv joint. I ran the jeep in low gear and you can literally see the friggin shaft move up and down. I removed the rear shaft and drove it off the front shaft on the interstate about 10 miles, the resonant vibration is gone, its not silky smooth but way way better. The transfer end of the front shaft has a horrible angle but its still way smoother then the rear shaft. I checked the angles again on the rear shaft and both are 1.5 degrees so THAT is not the problem. I think the problem on mine is the drive shaft runout or the transfer case output shaft isn't true which I doubt. I'm not sure what Jeeps tolerances are on shaft runout but the driveshaft on my KW semi is under 10 thousands and that's a huge driveshaft! I think 15 is too much. I'm going back to the dealer with the three video's I took with my phone and see what they say. I'll attach the one video where I'm running the Jeep with the dial indicator on the large part of the driveshaft... 73

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I think it's the axle shafts in the back...just a hunch.

Yamoo1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu
What about driveshafts not balanced?

W8KFM

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine has 5 weights but that doesn't mean it's balanced correctly

Yamoo1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu
I watched a YouTube about but it was aftermarket shafts but his was making same vibration. He got both front and rear shafts balance and put back in and it was gone.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I watched a YouTube about but it was aftermarket shafts but his was making same vibration. He got both front and rear shafts balance and put back in and it was gone.
That's encouraging but we have reports of high quality, balanced aftermarket driveshafts not making a difference.

Sponsored

Nele

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangled JL U Rubicon
I want to put it out there that I've been having the same problem ever since I bought my Jeep. I've been taking it back to the dealership over and over again. They've had it, in total, for 21 days.
IT'S FINALLY FIXED!!!
The dealership finally replaced all 4 tires and the 2 rear rims and the vibration is gone!!! They said they couldn't nail down exactly what it was but I don't care, it's gone.
Jeep was absolutely no help in the process. Jeep would not pay for anything. They told the dealership to make me pay for it. It was the dealership that stepped up and ate the cost for the fix. BTW... the dealership did try all the things on the thread like the U joint and the rear drive shaft and ground force balancing the tires. None of that worked.
I hope this helps some people figure out their situation. Good luck!!

W8KFM

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm glad you finally got your's fixed. You must have great dealer to eat the cost. My big mistake was replacing the original tires and selling them before driving it on the interstate at 65 to 70 MPH speeds. My dealer insists on the problem being the tires I put on so I'm screwed.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I want to put it out there that I've been having the same problem ever since I bought my Jeep. I've been taking it back to the dealership over and over again. They've had it, in total, for 21 days.
IT'S FINALLY FIXED!!!
The dealership finally replaced all 4 tires and the 2 rear rims and the vibration is gone!!! They said they couldn't nail down exactly what it was but I don't care, it's gone.
Jeep was absolutely no help in the process. Jeep would not pay for anything. They told the dealership to make me pay for it. It was the dealership that stepped up and ate the cost for the fix. BTW... the dealership did try all the things on the thread like the U joint and the rear drive shaft and ground force balancing the tires. None of that worked.
Did they replace them with a different brand or same brand just a new set?

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
IT'S FINALLY FIXED!!!
I thought people here have tried wheels with no success. It would not surprise me if it was the made in China wheels causing the issue.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
I thought people here have tried wheels with no success. It would not surprise me if it was the made in China wheels causing the issue.
I think his might be a “one off” type deal. People here have aftermarket wheels and different tires and still have the vibration.
Sponsored