Tire rotation, yes or no?

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
I'm going to be setting up an oil change at roughly 6000 miles, and I believe that it also includes a tire rotation. I'm factory stock. My question is: because I am having no issues with the tires (balance, uneven wear, etc), should I decline the rotation or allow it? You know: if it ain't broke, don't fix it?!?!) What has been your experience when a dealer has done your "free" tire rotation?
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You should rotate your tires whenever you can. While visually your tires may be wearing evenly, tires do wear at uneven rates (front vs rear axles). The front tires will wear differently due to them turning, weight shift to front under braking, etc. and rear due to the forces and friction of taking all of the acceleration.

If you wait too long to rotate, by the time you do the tires may be cupped, feathered, etc. and will no longer roll smoothly. The larger and more aggressive the tread, the more important it is to rotate and to do so frequently. With my 37's, I rotate every 3k miles, so about twice per every oil change.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm going to be setting up an oil change at roughly 6000 miles, and I believe that it also includes a tire rotation. I'm factory stock. My question is: because I am having no issues with the tires (balance, uneven wear, etc), should I decline the rotation or allow it? You know: if it ain't broke, don't fix it?!?!) What has been your experience when a dealer has done your "free" tire rotation?
I rotate every 5,000 miles, but I suspect that the more often the better - what's the harm (other than your back)?

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Personally the less anyone does on my Jeep the better. More chances for screw-ups when in for anything. So we just do our own 5T rotation. Super easy and gives you a chance to look over and do any maintenance on your rotors and calipers and lines etc. Just manually torque to specs and you are good. Too often peeps just use a gun and have no real clue what it is actually set at. Often way over-torquing.

As well you can track exactly the tread depth right across with a gauge. This way you can adjust tire pressures accordingly to get even wear across the tread.

Last edited:

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Here is the five-tire rotation that I use. When it gets time for a new set of tires and if I choose to go with the same BFGs then I will keep the best of the original tires as the spare and buy four new tires and switch to a four-tire rotation.

When I take the Jeep in for tire rotation I also use chalk to mark the destination location on each tire. This makes it easier for the tech to do the rotation that I want and it is easy for me to check that the wheels ended up in the correct spot.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire rotation, yes or no? 5-tire Rotation + Torque Specs

Attachments

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I also do a 5-tire rotation.

If you like your current tires, you want to extend their life as long as you can.

KO2 is an excellent tire, and is rated for 50,000 miles provided you rotate them.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
5 tire rotation for me. i do it myself, so i know its done right and do a check on other things like brakes, iines, etc.

doing the 5 tire rotation will extend the tire life.

keep in mine that some dealerships will only do a 4 tire rotation vs 5. they may charge you to do the 5 tire rotation. these free jeep wave programs tends to be short cutted when it comes to tire rotations.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Yes, do your tire rotation at 6,000 miles. I go to America's Tire Company and they do a 5-way rotation and balance for free. I like that they use a torque wrench. Not all dealers use a torque wrench. America's Tire will clean any rust off of the hub and reset the tire pressure sensors as well.

SargeRubicon14

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Rock Red Pearl 2-door Wrangler Sahara (Sold); 2021 Sarge Green 4-door Wrangler Rubicon; 1995 Ford F250 XLT 7.3L Powerstroke
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
I do a 5 tire rotation with every oil change, somewhere around every 6000 miles. I got 100k miles out if my duratracs on my JK before I sold it and I believe my tire rotation schedule played a big role in that. It evens out the tire wear because they don't all wear the same.

Last edited:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I do a 5 tire rotation with every oil change, somewhere around every 600 miles. I got 100k miles out if my duratracs on my JK before I sold it and I believe my tire rotation schedule played a big role in that. It evens out the tire wear because they don't all wear the same.
Wow, that is awesome. 100,000 miles out of a set of tires.Thats like four or five sets of Pats.
Sponsored