Knock in rear with Dana 44

DDESLAU

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
New to the forum and was literally going to buy a 2018 Sport S with the anti-spin 3rd gen Dana 44 HD rear axle tomorrow if the test drive went well. I was reading the options from the window sticker and checking them against the forum when I came across this thread. The vehicle only has 22k miles on it and is still under warranty. I was really excited to finally buy a Wrangler after wanting one for decades but it sounds like I should literally run from it? Is there any hope this might be okay?
I
Jeep Wrangler JL Knock in rear with Dana 44 D74FA110-51D3-481D-B9C6-72BBE515A488
Sponsored

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
New to the forum and was literally going to buy a 2018 Sport S with the anti-spin 3rd gen Dana 44 HD rear axle tomorrow if the test drive went well. I was reading the options from the window sticker and checking them against the forum when I came across this thread. The vehicle only has 22k miles on it and is still under warranty. I was really excited to finally buy a Wrangler after wanting one for decades but it sounds like I should literally run from it? Is there any hope this might be okay?
I
Jeep Wrangler JL Knock in rear with Dana 44 D74FA110-51D3-481D-B9C6-72BBE515A488
I have a 2018 Sport (not S), D44 with LSD, 15000 miles, changed rear diff fluid at 10,000, I donā€™t have this knock yet, but also plan to install lockers when it does, or before it happens. I wouldnā€™t say run, but be informed and know what your options are if it happens. I will not work with dealer to get a replacement, but instead go to lockers, I already have lockers in front, started there since there is LSD in rear. But if you want to avoid it all together, go ahead and run. Beauty of Jeepā€™s, you donā€™t have to stick with factory parts, upgrade to better stuff anyway.

jy86206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392 Sarge Green
21' Sport Altitude here, having Selec-trac and LSD (I think they are bundled together). I can hear a subtle clunk when accelerating from rolling stops, like a stop sign, if the car stops for few seconds I don't hear any clunk when take off. Sometimes I can hear very subtle clunks when it's about to stop. Not a real complaint at this moment but having read this thread I think I should have the dealership check and probably change diff oil when I do the state inspection, yes, purchased out of state still waiting for tags...

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
2021 less than two weeks old, has been making the same noise since the day I drove it off the lot. Everyone I speak to acts like this is the first time theyā€™ve heard of this and then another member refers me to this thread and it shows itā€™s been happening for years. Jeep cares has been of no help as of yet.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
2021 less than two weeks old, has been making the same noise since the day I drove it off the lot. Everyone I speak to acts like this is the first time theyā€™ve heard of this and then another member refers me to this thread and it shows itā€™s been happening for years. Jeep cares has been of no help as of yet.
Yours is equipped with the Limited Slip? If so, UNBELIEVABLY disappointing no in-production fix yet!

Sponsored

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
Yours is equipped with the Limited Slip? If so, UNBELIEVABLY disappointing no in-production fix yet!
Itā€™s a rubicon so I have lockers front and rear. I had to opportunity to try out my lockers this weekend and so far theyā€™re working fine. Iā€™m having these EXACT same issues everyone is having in this thread. Two week old 2021 with 525 miles..I was told do tribe until it gets worse so they can locate the noise, even tho itā€™s clearly coming from the rear diff itā€™s ridiculous.

Reabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara unlimited 2018
Itā€™s a rubicon so I have lockers front and rear. I had to opportunity to try out my lockers this weekend and so far theyā€™re working fine. Iā€™m having these EXACT same issues everyone is having in this thread. Two week old 2021 with 525 miles..I was told do tribe until it gets worse so they can locate the noise, even tho itā€™s clearly coming from the rear diff itā€™s ridiculous.
Was told se thing. If not worse before warranty expiration, will do an echo acoustic test at a specialized garage and give report to Jeep.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hello, im very dissapointed in jeep/fca regarding these problems with the lsd.
I ordered a jeep last month with lsd. Im thinking of just cancelling the order. I might be out my $1500 deposit, but maybe i should anyway?
Sorry for those of you deAling with this.
Up to you but if you're gonna lose $1500 I'd just buy the vehicle and set $1500 aside to deal with this. That's enough to get a competent aftermarket shop to install an open carrier OR a TAD of your choice

Coth12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2 door
Update: just got the rear diff carrier assembly installed in my 18 sport s 20k miles.
Jeep Wrangler JL Knock in rear with Dana 44 266C8586-4319-4820-9B13-07A08712D7D2
Took 3 weeks to get parts in. I have attached the service receipt with part numbers.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Update: just got the rear diff carrier assembly installed in my 18 sport s 20k miles.
266C8586-4319-4820-9B13-07A08712D7D2.jpeg
Took 3 weeks to get parts in. I have attached the service receipt with part numbers.
Nice, it'll be going out again in another ~20k....just outside of warranty ;)

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
21' Sport Altitude here, having Selec-trac and LSD (I think they are bundled together). I can hear a subtle clunk when accelerating from rolling stops, like a stop sign, if the car stops for few seconds I don't hear any clunk when take off. Sometimes I can hear very subtle clunks when it's about to stop. Not a real complaint at this moment but having read this thread I think I should have the dealership check and probably change diff oil when I do the state inspection, yes, purchased out of state still waiting for tags...
Was told se thing. If not worse before warranty expiration, will do an echo acoustic test at a specialized garage and give report to Jeep.
Hi @jy86206 and @Reabob ,

If you either of you would like additional assistance while getting this addressed by your Jeep dealers, please feel free to send us a private message with your current mileage & VINs!

Courtney
Jeep Cares

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Knock in rear with Dana 44 266C8586-4319-4820-9B13-07A08712D7D2
Well it looks like they indeed used a new part number on your case kit vs. mine. Hopefully this takes care of it! Mine was 68401154AB.

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Did you ever change the oil in the diff since you bought the Jeep?

Is your Jeep stock? Or did you put bigger tires on it?

The only reason I'm asking is I also have the LSD and I have changed the oil 3 times; 5,000, 10,000 and 20,000. This is very excessive, but I'm hoping it will save me from all the issues in this 90 + page thread.

So far mine is good, (fingers crossed).

jeep364

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 WK

The only reason I'm asking is I also have the LSD and I have changed the oil 3 times; 5,000, 10,000 and 20,000. This is very excessive, but I'm hoping it will save me from all the issues in this 90 + page thread.

Hope you have no issues but this is clearly a manufacturing problem. Should not need new oil before 30k on a stock vehicle.

Coth12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2 door

I bought it used with 17k miles. Noticed the knock the first week I had it. As it worsened I took Jeep to dealer at 20k.
Sponsored