Sponsored

Dealer wants $660 to change differential fluid

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
For you guys that have never done a transfer case, fluid change on your JL, do know that you have a skid plate that will be in the way when you go to drain the transfer case...

Some guys/gals will pull the skid plate, but it is far easier, to fashion something like this to facilitate draining..

You place this between the drain hole and the skid plate.... you pull the plug and the fluid runs along it, and then into the drain pan. No big mess on the skid plate and no pulling the skid plate.

This is an aluminum foil pan you get at the dollar store, etc.. You just cut the shape and fold up the edges. It's about say 16" long and about 4-5 inches wide. Easily cleaned when you get done so you have for next time...

Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer wants $660 to change differential fluid 20210115_193745
Sponsored

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
For you guys that have never done a transfer case, fluid change on your JL, do know that you have a skid plate that will be in the way when you go to drain the transfer case...

Some guys/gals will pull the transfer case, but it is far easier, to fashion something like this to facilitate draining..

You place this between the drain hole and the skid plate.... you pull the plug and the fluid runs along it, and then into the drain pan. No big mess on the skid plate and no pulling the skid plate.

This is an aluminum foil pan you get at the dollar store, etc.. You just cut the shape and fold up the edges. It's about say 16" long and about 4-5 inches wide. Easily cleaned when you get done so you have for next time...

Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer wants $660 to change differential fluid 20210115_193745
I am a fan of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Form-Funnel-Flexible-Draining-Tool/dp/B010BZ26EQ
Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer wants $660 to change differential fluid 1610761129508

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So I got to wondering if you did climb under your Jeep and low and behold your new Jeep has a destroyed fill plug, what are you going to do. Not change the fluid and just keep driving it, or are you going to find a way to remove it?

If you ahead and remove and replace the destroyed fill plug, did it really matter that you pulled it first or last? I know what I would do even if I couldn't get the plug out.
Well, I can drive it over to Autozone or Napa to get what I need, so there's that.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Well, I can drive it over to Autozone or Napa to get what I need, so there's that.
If your dain plug is messed up and you can't get it out, Autozone probably will not be able to help you.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If your dain plug is messed up and you can't get it out, Autozone probably will not be able to help you.
The point that flew right by you is that it can still be driven. And I'd have plenty of time to figure it out, since I change the fluid much earlier than it needs to be changed.

How somebody does this shouldn't give anyone else a painful rectal itch.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
All this talk makes me glad I installed ARB covers with drain and fill holes.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
How is that different than stock? There are drain and fill plugs in the OEM covers.
Well...the drain is in the housing... that's where this convo was going. If you cause enough damage to the housing drain fastener it can be a problem.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Just wanted to reiterate:

The tops of the Valvoline FlexiFill gear oil pouch's , DO screw right off/on.....

DO, save the empty FlexiFill pouch's and squirt cap for future diff fluid changes, especially, if you think just possibly you will buy gear oil (any brand) that does not come in a pouch.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The point that flew right by you is that it can still be driven. And I'd have plenty of time to figure it out, since I change the fluid much earlier than it needs to be changed.

How somebody does this shouldn't give anyone else a painful rectal itch.
That did not fly past me. The fact is it still has to be addressed be it today, next week or next year. I doubt that anybody really cares how someone changes their diff fluid. I would bet that thousands of Jeeps right now are running the diff fluid that came in the Jeep and have over 100,000 miles on them. Usually the only people that change out diff fluid are the ones that are off roading them.

Buckshot184

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 3.0L diesel
See what your local mechanic wants for it. Or a speciality shop may do it as well, guys that mod 4x4's. I would trust those guys way more than the dealer anyway, usually they are enthusiasts.

I get some people just are not DIY'ers, but its a very easy job. $660 for an hours worth of work is excessive even for a dealer.
[/

UOTE]

Firetrak

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
So...I live just outside NYC and took my 2018 JLU to the dealer for 30K maint. They want $330 to change the differential fluid...each.

is it just me or is this high? Is there anything special a dealer does that isn’t just a straight forward oil change?

I could change it myself but it’s time and hassle I’d rather spend elsewhere.

Thx
Sorry to resurrect this, but this price is insane, it takes about 20 mins and $50 worth of 75-90 Synth Gear oil. Its no more messy than cleaning out a frying pan after cooking bacon. $660 wtf.

Firetrak

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
With the bottom drain plugs and top fill plugs, this job takes longer to put the jeep on the lift than the whole job. If a mechanic took more than 20 mins for both diffs, he's not much of a mechanic.

For us guys without a lift, the hard part is getting the oil into the diff. I haven't done this on my Jeep, but my truck is a bit tight to tip a oil bottle in there. I need to either have a long hose and someone to hold the bottle and squeeze or one of those hand pumps. Heating the oil bottles in a sink full of hot water helps it flow better too.
A Turkey baster works well.

Willys_Storm

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Sport EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
This is not unique to Jeep or Dodge Dealer, my 60K maintenance for my 2016 Nissan Titan XD 5.0 Cummins was 3K.

Needless to say I bought Amsoil Products and id it all my self for 790.00.

Diffs, Engine oil, Transmission, Transfer Case, Power Steering, Brake Fluid and Coolant.
Sponsored