To undercoat or not...

Wrongful Suspicion

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
My factory order is on the train headed my way, so I will be taking possession soon. I know the question will inevitably be asked. Do I want to apply undercoating? I’ve never really been sure on the answer to this question. I’ve read that vehicles come pretty well protected from the factory, and the stuff the dealership applies is actually more for sound dampening. Furthermore, I live in a city that doesn’t salt the roads in the winter, they gravel them, and I only travel to a city that does salt, maybe twice a year in the winter.
So is it worth the cost for sound dampening? Does it make that much of a difference?
I’d love to hear everyone’s opinion on this subject.
Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I've never gotten undercoating on any of my vehicles, and never felt like I was missing something. As you live in an area that doesn't salt, I would decline if I were you.

OP
OP
Wrongful Suspicion

Wrongful Suspicion

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I've never gotten undercoating on any of my vehicles, and never felt like I was missing something. As you live in an area that doesn't salt, I would decline if I were you.
That’s the way I was leaning, but wasn’t sure if maybe I was missing something.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
There is painting and special coatings like spray oils or wax type coatings and then there are terrible rubberized asphault based junk like Zeibart.

I paint everything on mine with Eastwoods and topcoat with their wax based rust preventer. Also use wands and flood all interior cavities on frame, rockers, doors, gate etc with fluid film.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have found that if you undercoat a new vehicle, you void the factory corrosion warranty. Read your manual first.

Sponsored

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
I have found that if you undercoat a new vehicle, you void the factory corrosion warranty. Read your manual first.
But the dealer offers undercoating as part of their after sale BS along with extended warranty, window etching, upholstery protection and the rest of the fluff they try to pawn off on you to squeeze an extra dollar out of you.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
But the dealer offers undercoating as part of their after sale BS along with extended warranty, window etching, upholstery protection and the rest of the fluff they try to pawn off on you to squeeze an extra dollar out of you.
from Jeep/Chrysler

Examples of the types of alterations not covered are:
  • installing accessories — except for genuine
    DaimlerChrysler / MOPAR accessories installed by an
    authorized Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep dealer;
  • applying rustproofing or other protection
    products

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
from Jeep/Chrysler

products
Seeing I live where the roads are white all winter from salt and not the snow, I'll take my chances with my oil undercoating. The good news is I can take it off with a pressure washer if need be but having run it on all my vehicles it does a great job of sealing out moisture and keeping things from rusting. I'd be curious to see what would happen if a Jeep dealership applied the rustproofing then tried to deny a warranty claim. I'm sure it would keep a bunch of lawyers busy.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
from Jeep/Chrysler

products
In this case is "not covered" the same as voids warranty or is it just not replaced if a warranty issue affects it?

Sponsored

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Anybody have any updates on this? I'm going to be picking one up in a month or two and also live in a rust-prone area where they liberally apply salt to everything. I don't want their rubberized undercoating because once it gets cracked, water gets in and makes it worst.

I was going to go with fluid film in the fall but been on the fence due to warranty issues. I can understand Jeep not covering rust related claims but don't know how far that would go.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
A couple of YouTube videos posted earlier might be good to watch, lots has been on YouTube for pros and cons of types of rust proofing. I use " Rust Cop " by Carwell Mcg, applied by a dealer every spring. Creeps into every crevice, good warrantee as well
Sponsored