Sponsored

Question About Jeep Value (before I take delivery today)

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
Reality is never an excuse. In fact, the phrase "those are called excuses" is an excuse itself.

Not surprisingly, there are a lot of people in this forum that are clueless to what's actually happening out there because they've never had to do without.
No one is assuming, but there is proven solutions. Unfortunately, alot of individuals don't take the necessary steps.
Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
No one is assuming, but there is proven solutions. Unfortunately, alot of individuals don't take the necessary steps.
The mental aspect must play a big part in why people don't do it and use their situation as an excuse and rationalization for not planning for the future.

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You’ll probably lose money but I’ve also seen people flip Sports for more money after like 5k in upgrades in the right market and at the right time.

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
And what about for people whom "living within their means" means no place to live, or no transportation, or worse, no food?

What you say is perfectly valid for you and I and basically this entire forum. Obviously anyone who can hold the registration to a 2018 or newer Wrangler has no excuse not to be able to do what you did. The thing is that this is but one small forum on an internet full of thousands of small forums just like it, and even if you added together the membership of all those thousands of forums, you'd still have a minority of people, and a disproportionately well off minority at that. The reality is that you cannot make blanket statements like "anyone can do this if they just try" because it's just not reality for a LOT of people.
You can make 40k/year on minimum wage working 80 hours a week. It all comes down to work ethic. You do bring a valid point though about the forums and the personnel here. We are blessed. Again though, I did I raising a family of 6 on a 32k GROSS salary... It can be done... Anywhere in this great nation. But we got waaaaayyyyy off topic here. Not trying to hijack this thread anymore than I have. So, I appreciate your professional debate and God bless you and your family.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
The mental aspect must play a big part in why people don't do it and use their situation as an excuse and rationalization for not planning for the future.
The bottom line is this, the blanket statement that "anyone can do it if they just try hard enough", is not true. MANY people just are not remotely in reach of what you and I have, and can never be. Pretending otherwise helps no one but ourselves.

You can make 40k/year on minimum wage working 80 hours a week.
Again, yes, WE can. But it's just not reality to assume that everyone is able to land a minimum wage job and/or able to work 40+ hours a week.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I recently sold my five year old JKR for 78% of what I paid for it originally. But...like most of us, I had invested in aftermarket parts, so that's a little misleading. Counting my modification costs, I still got 58% of my all-in cost.

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Everyone's situation is different, but hard work and consistency will work every time. Aside from people with severe disabilities, anyone can with 40+ hours per week. There have been many weeks in my career that I've surpassed 40 hours by Wednesday (and our pay period is Monday through Sunday). I've commuted 3-5 hours a day for 20+ years as tradesmen make double in the area I work vs where I chose to buy my home. I've worked no less than 2100 hours per year my entire career, while driving another 1,000 hours or more. I'm guilty of over spending like most Americans, but I've made sure to save for retirement as well. Life is a balancing act. But the line at every Starbucks I go to or drive past tell me that most Americans could easily save $30/week. Do that for 40 years and you are in great shape.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Aside from people with severe disabilities, anyone can with 40+ hours per week.
People with disabilities, and people with certain other health issues, and people who have someone else who relies on them for constant care...this is a HUGE chunk of people.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
People with disabilities, and people with certain other health issues, and people who have someone else who relies on them for constant care...this is a HUGE chunk of people.
The numbers are out there, it is a big chunk but a super minority of the overall population. Roughly 26% of Americans have some form of disability (I'm deaf in my right ear), but estimates are only 10% of those are precluded from working full time by their disability. That is 2.6% of the population. Not to be ignored, but far from the reason that 70% of American adults have less than $1,000 saved. We are a consumer society driven on keeping up with the latest trends. We find a way to afford the latest $1,000 smart phone every couple years but can't save $50/ week toward our futures? More than 67% of US households have an income over $50k. If people prioritized savings over spending, we could all do it. Yes there are the outliers, but using single digit percentages of the truly less fortunate to justify the bad spending habits of the other 60+% of Americans is just making excuses.

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
The numbers are out there, it is a big chunk but a super minority of the overall population. Roughly 26% of Americans have some form of disability (I'm deaf in my right ear), but estimates are only 10% of those are precluded from working full time by their disability. That is 2.6% of the population. Not to be ignored, but far from the reason that 70% of American adults have less than $1,000 saved. We are a consumer society driven on keeping up with the latest trends. We find a way to afford the latest $1,000 smart phone every couple years but can't save $50/ week toward our futures? More than 67% of US households have an income over $50k. If people prioritized savings over spending, we could all do it. Yes there are the outliers, but using single digit percentages of the truly less fortunate to justify the bad spending habits of the other 60+% of Americans is just making excuses.
I don't disagree with any of this.

Remember what I said - the statement that "anyone can do it" is just not reality. As you note above, i'm correct. That is all.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I don't know your age, so I dunno if you are in the same boat as I am, but there will be no such thing as "retirement" for my generation.

I don't really plan to retire, ever. Maybe i'll take a lower stress job at some point, but i'll always be working in some capacity.

Now that doesn't mean i'm not saving for old age, but i'm doing it more with medical bills and overall cost of living in mind than expecting to not work.
I am 47 years old, fortunately I listened to my mother when I was 22 and starting putting 10% of salary towards retirement. I upped it to 15% when I was 35. I am on track to retire maybe a little early.

Even at 40 years old you're not too old to start saving for a retirement. It sounds like you have some retirement save which is a start. Not to single you out but you do have new 2020 and 2021 vehicles that aren't that cheap, so you have some means to be able to afford those vehicles.. If you planning on working past 80 in some capacity, you have many years to save and compound investment gains. I have downloaded and used your lease excel spreadsheet, you did a really nice job with those. I use an excel spreadsheet to project my own retirement. Make yourself a retirement project spreadsheet and start putting a plan in place, 80 year old Raven will probably thank 40 year Raven.

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I am 47 years old, fortunately I listened to my mother when I was 22 and starting putting 10% of salary towards retirement. I upped it to 15% when I was 35. I am on track to retire maybe a little early.

Even at 40 years old you're not too old to start saving for a retirement. It sounds like you have some retirement save which is a start. Not to single you out but you do have new 2020 and 2021 vehicles that aren't that cheap, so you have some means to be able to afford those vehicles.. If you planning on working past 80 in some capacity, you have many years to save and compound investment gains. I have downloaded and used your lease excel spreadsheet, you did a really nice job with those. I use an excel spreadsheet to project my own retirement. Make yourself a retirement project spreadsheet and start putting a plan in place, 80 year old Raven will probably thank 40 year Raven.
What he said 👆

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
no disrespect but you are completely wrong. www.daveramsey.com it has nothing to do with age, it has to do with financial responsibility and living debt free. You don't have to count on anything from the government to retire. You don't even need a pension. Be debt-free and invest and you'll be retired wealthy (not necessarily rich).
I don't follow Dave Ramsey exactly. I have never read his books, but I am familiar with his recommendations. I don't agree with all of them.

I've shaken hands with Dave Ramsey. He's a really fun guy. But he's very old-school. While his advice is perfectly valid, following it also means wasting your best years obsessed over money and missing out on way too much. And that's IF you are fortunate enough to get to hear his lectures at a young enough age. I had never heard of him until age 35.

It's not worth being rich at 50 if you've missed out on everything up to that point. You find yourself with lots of money but no energy and no physical condition to use it.
As I mentioned above, I was good about saving for retirement. In my 20's, I was a saver and investor, but I had my fair share of toys. I got married when I was 26 and was good with money until I turn 30 and bought a house. I sold my investments and drained my savings for the house. My ex-wife was spender and I never was able to get my savings back. I tried to compensate by spending less but I even gave in and bought my 1st new car in 2012 0 down finance the rest. I did stay out of credit card debt. When I got divorced I had just enough money to put down 10% on a moderate 1300sqft house.

In 2016 when I was 42, I decided to fix my situation by to start saving and investing like in my 20's. I paid off my car, I paid off the legal divorce fees. Every other year, my taxes are reduce due my son and tax status, so I put that toward investments. I reduce my cable and cell phone bills. I put my raises towards savings. My girlfriend moved in 1.5 years ago so that help with mortgage. I am happy where my savings is, my investment income and gains are exceeding what I putting in. It will sustain what I have without touching my annual income. I just delayed my satisfaction until I can save up for it.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Even at 40 years old you're not too old to start saving for a retirement. It sounds like you have some retirement save which is a start. Not to single you out but you do have new 2020 and 2021 vehicles that aren't that cheap, so you have some means to be able to afford those vehicles.
Don't misunderstand what i'm saying. I'm not talking about me. I'm perfectly happy with where I am. I have no aspirations to be completely debt free, but I am free of debt from necessities and that's where i'll stay. I have no issues with taking loans/leases for vehicles because they are luxury items. I'll have more money than I need when i'm old but I will only be retiring if I choose, and at this time I have no intentions of doing so.

The reason i'm so adamant about this is because I know people for whom this is not possible. It's not a matter of motivation, it's not a matter of dedication. There is no way possible for many people to do it. Period. The continued insistence of people on this forum who have likely never experience real poverty doesn't change reality.
Sponsored