Sponsored

Question About Jeep Value (before I take delivery today)

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I don't know your age, so I dunno if you are in the same boat as I am, but there will be no such thing as "retirement" for my generation. By the time I get to that age the national pot will long have dried up, leaving the vast majority of people without the means to retire, and jobs will be largely virtual anyway, so the original driver behind employment - physical condition - will be a non-factor. People will be continuing their careers well into their 80s at that point. I don't really plan to retire, ever. Maybe i'll take a lower stress job at some point, but i'll always be working in some capacity.

Now that doesn't mean i'm not saving for old age, but i'm doing it more with medical bills and overall cost of living in mind than expecting to not work.
I have heard this for years (i'm 41) but i simply don't see the US being basically the only developed country without a social security type of program. Something will eventually happen to keep it going.

That people don't plan for the future outside of SS is definitely an issue. Living that right now as my wife's parents are in retirement age and never bothered to plan for it and we'll be on the hook to help out in some capacity.
Sponsored

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
I don't know your age, so I dunno if you are in the same boat as I am, but there will be no such thing as "retirement" for my generation. By the time I get to that age the national pot will long have dried up, leaving the vast majority of people without the means to retire, and jobs will be largely virtual anyway, so the original driver behind employment - physical condition - will be a non-factor. People will be continuing their careers well into their 80s at that point. I don't really plan to retire, ever. Maybe i'll take a lower stress job at some point, but i'll always be working in some capacity.

Now that doesn't mean i'm not saving for old age, but i'm doing it more with medical bills and overall cost of living in mind than expecting to not work.
My retirement plan has 2 steps.
Step 1 =Keep working
Step 2= A really hot oven and a lovely urn

I'd go insane not working, you can only play so much golf!

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon

no disrespect but you are completely wrong. www.daveramsey.com it has nothing to do with age, it has to do with financial responsibility and living debt free. You don't have to count on anything from the government to retire. You don't even need a pension. Be debt-free and invest and you'll be retired wealthy (not necessarily rich).

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I have heard this for years (i'm 41) but i simply don't see the US being basically the only developed country without a social security type of program. Something will eventually happen to keep it going.
And in my 40 years of life in this country, I have learned never to count on the government to help me with anything. They never have.

That people don't plan for the future outside of SS is definitely an issue. Living that right now as my wife's parents are in retirement age and never bothered to plan for it and we'll be on the hook to help out in some capacity.
Most of these people don't have the means to "plan for the future". Between trying to pay for their education, then the bills that mounted while paying for that education, then the costs of starting a family that mounted while paying those bills...most people find themselves in their mid-40s before saving for retirement becomes possible.

no disrespect but you are completely wrong. www.daveramsey.com it has nothing to do with age, it has to do with financial responsibility and living debt free. You don't have to count on anything from the government to retire. You don't even need a pension. Be debt-free and invest and you'll be retired wealthy (not necessarily rich).
I've shaken hands with Dave Ramsey. He's a really fun guy. But he's very old-school. While his advice is perfectly valid, following it also means wasting your best years obsessed over money and missing out on way too much. And that's IF you are fortunate enough to get to hear his lectures at a young enough age. I had never heard of him until age 35.

It's not worth being rich at 50 if you've missed out on everything up to that point. You find yourself with lots of money but no energy and no physical condition to use it.

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

well said, you have to plan. I didn't start till 30 which i greatly regret, however, I'm 36 now and I've busted my hump gone "gazelle intense" and I made up for the lack of saving for the last 18 years. I worked so hard, I'm buying this Rubi as my reward, essentially debt free. It can be done, but like everything else, what you put into it is what you will get out of it. $150/paycheck $300/month for 30 years you'll have a million when you retire if you get the average 12% return the stock market has garnered the last 30 years. Everyone can squeeze out $75/week of wasted money if they buckle down on a budget. However, its whether you want to do it or not. A friend of mine says screw that I'm "living for now". He's 100k in car debt... well to each their own.

Sponsored

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And in my 40 years of life in this country, I have learned never to count on the government to help me with anything. They never have.
Amen

Most of these people don't have the means to "plan for the future". Between trying to pay for their education, then the bills that mounted while paying for that education, then the costs of starting a family that mounted while paying those bills...most people find themselves in their mid-40s before saving for retirement becomes possible.
completely disagree... just takes a strict budget and determination. Obviously we are talking on a "new car" forum so majority of the posters here are "normal" and are in debt, but it can be done. Don't be "normal", get intense and get debt free then you can invest and spend as you choose.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Those are called excuses.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
completely disagree... just takes a strict budget and determination. Obviously we are talking on a "new car" forum so majority of the posters here are "normal" and are in debt, but it can be done. Don't be "normal", get intense and get debt free then you can invest and spend as you choose.
Just because it is/was possible for you and I, don't assume it is for everyone. In fact, the overwhelming majority of people don't have the means to live in this country and do what you propose. The reality of the cost of living here, and the cost of an education required to make sufficient money to afford the cost of living here creates a vicious cycle that takes decades to break. I know because i've seen it first hand. My wife would be in it if not for my help.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
well said, you have to plan. I didn't start till 30 which i greatly regret, however, I'm 36 now and I've busted my hump gone "gazelle intense" and I made up for the lack of saving for the last 18 years. I worked so hard, I'm buying this Rubi as my reward, essentially debt free. It can be done, but like everything else, what you put into it is what you will get out of it. $150/paycheck $300/month for 30 years you'll have a million when you retire if you get the average 12% return the stock market has garnered the last 30 years. Everyone can squeeze out $75/week of wasted money if they buckle down on a budget. However, its whether you want to do it or not. A friend of mine says screw that I'm "living for now". He's 100k in car debt... well to each their own.
Agreed.

My parents never planned appropriately for retirement and neither did my in-laws as mentioned. The theme between them parents when talking to them is that they never thought they'd get old and the day would come to worry about retirement.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Those are called excuses.
Reality is never an excuse. In fact, the phrase "those are called excuses" is an excuse itself.

Not surprisingly, there are a lot of people in this forum that are clueless to what's actually happening out there because they've never had to do without.

Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Reality is never an excuse. In fact, the phrase "those are called excuses" is an excuse itself.

Not surprisingly, there are a lot of people in this forum that are clueless to what's actually happening out there because they've never had to do without.
Pretending to know people's situations is not an advisable rabbit hole to get into. You simply haven't got a clue what people have or haven't lived through. As in none.

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just because it is/was possible for you and I, don't assume it is for everyone. In fact, the overwhelming majority of people don't have the means to live in this country and do what you propose. The reality of the cost of living here, and the cost of an education required to make sufficient money to afford the cost of living here creates a vicious cycle that takes decades to break. I know because i've seen it first hand. My wife would be in it if not for my help.
We can agree to disagree, but if you live within your means and bust your @$$ it is easy to do with the right mindset. No one does from working too hard, they pass out first. To those who need that extra coin... Pick up a secondary job till you can get out of debt. I did it being the primary bread winner in a 6 family household on a 32k/year salary. I never worked less than 70 hours/week cause that is what it took. Took 6 years to get where I'm at, but I kept my eye on the prize and here I am today talking to you, waiting on my cash flowed 2021 jeep rubicon. Again, not trying to argue just disagree with your opinion.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Pretending to know people's situations is not an advisable rabbit hole to get into. You simply haven't got a clue what people have or haven't lived through. As in none.
You need to take your own advice. I wasn't the one who started out pretending to know people's situations.

LOL.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
We can agree to disagree, but if you live within your means and bust your @$$ it is easy to do with the right mindset. No one does from working too hard, they pass out first. To those who need that extra coin... Pick up a secondary job till you can get out of debt. I did it being the primary bread winner in a 6 family household on a 32k/year salary. I never worked less than 70 hours/week cause that is what it took. Took 6 years to get where I'm at, but I kept my eye on the prize and here I am today talking to you, waiting on my cash flowed 2021 jeep rubicon. Again, not trying to argue just disagree with your opinion.
And what about for people whom "living within their means" means no place to live, or no transportation, or worse, no food?

What you say is perfectly valid for you and I and basically this entire forum. Obviously anyone who can hold the registration to a 2018 or newer Wrangler has no excuse not to be able to do what you did. The thing is that this is but one small forum on an internet full of thousands of small forums just like it, and even if you added together the membership of all those thousands of forums, you'd still have a minority of people, and a disproportionately well off minority at that. The reality is that you cannot make blanket statements like "anyone can do this if they just try" because it's just not reality for a LOT of people.
Sponsored