Sponsored

Trickle charge??

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I normally plug in my Deltran for a day or two, it goes into float mode normally after 5-6 hrs but I just leave it connected and I only do it once a month and things seem to be ok, I occasionally test ESS and it’s always worked, my daily commute round trip for work is about 90 mins on avg.
I'm surprised you're having to trickle charge yours at all if you're daily driving it 90 minutes. You would think the alternator would recharge it while driving 45 minutes each way.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surprised you're having to trickle charge yours at all if you're daily driving it 90 minutes. You would think the alternator would recharge it while driving 45 minutes each way.
I only put it on the charger once a month as that’s when it’s parked the most, I think I could get by without doing it but I just try to keep the batteries at peak.

I honestly believe it’s not a very efficient charging design, most of the time my voltage displayed in the EVIC is close to 14 and I have no issues but by design the charging algorithm is supposed to vary the alternator output but most of what I’m seeing from my JL is the alternator is putting out near max voltage and I have checked the main and ESS batteries right after a full charge and then weeks later and separately they both are above 12.55 -12.60 and combined they are 12.60-12.70

In my opinion it would be better just to have the alternator throw a constant 14+ volts all the time like back in the day rather than to have it variable to save a gallon or two of gas by putting less load on the alternator giving you minimal HP increase

Last edited:

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I only put it on the charger once a month as that’s when it’s parked the most, I think I could get by without doing it but I just try to keep the batteries at peak.

I honestly believe it’s not a very efficient charging design, most of the time my voltage displayed in the EVIC is close to 14 and I have no issues but by design the charging algorithm is supposed to vary the alternator output but most of what I’m seeing from my JL is the alternator is putting out near max voltage and I have checked the main and ESS batteries right after a full charge and then weeks later and separately they both are above 12.55 -12.60 and combined they are 13.60-12.70

In my opinion it would be better just to have the alternator throw a constant 14+ volts all the time like back in the day rather than to have it variable to save a gallon or two of gas by putting less load on the alternator giving you minimal HP increase
I hear ya...I stopped daily driving mine last September and was driving it once or twice a week for prob 5-30 minutes each drive. I went 2 wks in November and it wouldn't start. Jumped it and ran it for an hour. Had to jump it the next time. Bought a trickle charger and charged it...still struggled to start. Took it to dealer 3 times and finally had both batteries replaced under warranty. I'm now going to charge it once or twice a month and do my best to drive it every wk. We'll see how it goes.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone tried plugging into the cig lighter to trickle charge? That is how I used to do it on a sports car I had that sat in th garage a lot between drives and in winter especially.

Sponsored

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Has anyone tried plugging into the cig lighter to trickle charge? That is how I used to do it on a sports car I had that sat in th garage a lot between drives and in winter especially.
Good question. I’m using a Noco Genius10 smart charger now that I can’t use the Jeep because of lockdown. It means opening and closing the hood weekly, so if I could use the power outlet on the rear it would be great. I should think you can, as it’s live to the battery and rated at 20amps. Who knows?

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
I've run battery maintainers through a pigtail connected to the battery, a (hot) 12V outlet and through a hitch 7 pin connector. All work fine. I prefer the hitch connector for my outdoor vehicles as I don't like having a cord through a door or window, or for the small risk of the maintainer catching fire.
I'm currently using Battery Tenders on three of my vehicles and a CTek MX5.0 on a third vehicle. I've had several Battery Tenders fail over the years. The CTek has worked well but is expensive (~$80) so will likely move towards Noco in the future.

Hitch wiring and the maintainer-hitch plug adapter:

Jeep Wrangler JL Trickle charge?? 1610592770276
Jeep Wrangler JL Trickle charge?? IMG_0861.JPG

Thanks @chevymitchell for confirming the 'always on' status of the rear hitch 12V power.
LF

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I've run battery maintainers through a pigtail connected to the battery, a (hot) 12V outlet and through a hitch 7 pin connector. All work fine. I prefer the hitch connector for my outdoor vehicles as I don't like having a cord through a door or window, or for the small risk of the maintainer catching fire.
I'm currently using Battery Tenders on three of my vehicles and a CTek MX5.0 on a third vehicle. I've had several Battery Tenders fail over the years. The CTek has worked well but is expensive (~$80) so will likely move towards Noco in the future.

Hitch wiring and the maintainer-hitch plug adapter:

1610592770276.png
IMG_0861.JPG

Thanks @chevymitchell for confirming the 'always on' status of the rear hitch 12V power.
LF
What in the world???! I have never heard of this. Any draw backs at all? I don't see how there could be......:movember:

I'm just flabbergasted that I've never thought of this or seen anyone mention it before. Such a simple no muss no fuss hookup if your vehicle is parked in a secure location.

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
What in the world???! I have never heard of this. Any draw backs at all? I don't see how there could be......:movember:

It has worked well for me, direct fused connection to the battery. If helpful, the connector was inexpensive on one of the large auction sites.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trickle charge?? IMG_0756.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Trickle charge?? Screenshot from 2021-01-13 21-57-44

Last edited:

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I agree. Looks like the best idea I’ve seen yet! Certainly beats lowering the screen and feeding a cable through the firewall!
Thanks

I'm just flabbergasted that I've never thought of this or seen anyone mention it before. Such a simple no muss no fuss hookup if your vehicle is parked in a secure location.

Sponsored

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I’m currently running my Noco Genius10 Smart charger through the live power socket in the rear cargo space. Seems to work just fine. The “smart” part is the maintenance feature.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
But…..

If I attach my trickle charger to the main battery does it also charge the aux battery?

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@rkwfxd

Hooking up a battery maintainer / tender to the Pos and Neg terminals of the Main (AGM) battery alone will do the deed for both the Main and Aux battery at the same time.

You will want to use a small amp output maintainer/tender since the little AGM, Auxiliary battery is only 200CCA and could possibly be damaged if you were to use a high amp output maintainer/tender.

So, with that said it is probably best to stick with say a 1.25 amp maintainer/tender and for sure no more then a 5 amp tender that is designed to work with AGM batteries when you are maintaining/tending to both the batteries at the same time.

Also.... in regard to doing both batteries at the same time ....do not hook up/use a full blown battery charger rather then a low amp output battery maintainer/tender..

Oh, your forum avatar reminds me of this door key hole cover for the JL/JT..

Jeep Wrangler JL Trickle charge?? wave.JPG
Sponsored