Sponsored

Help before I order! 6spd manual or Diesel, 34's & level kit, half door questions

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
There’s a reason why manuals are going away, and it’s not that people don’t know how to drive them. They are gone from full sized trucks, as it’s tough to build one that holds up to 1,000+ ftlbs. Even tougher when you have to warranty it against wanna be ken blocks bang shifting and dumping the clutch like it’s gymkahna. They are going away from sports cars because across the board they are slower no matter who’s driving. Automatics of today are nothing like those of the old days. They are just superior to manuals at this point. If you really want to row your own gears go for it, but especially when it’s limiting you away from the better engine options, you are losing performance period.
Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Since paddle shifters were mentioned...
Often hear of folks saying they got the automatic, but their car/truck has paddle shifters so it like a manual.

My $0.015 worth about paddle shifters:

Paddle shifters are like dating your cousin...​
Yes, it could be fun; but there's some not right about the whole thing.​

Save the Manuals 1.jpg
I had an Ecoboost Mustang convertible, it wasn't bad, but due to "Executive Meddling", it wa auto, and despite being a blast, just didnt enjoy it like I should of

My trucks full exhaust, Mud tires, CAI, 87mm TB, rsb+endlinks and of course, lighting, it's also fun, but disconnecting where some days its just autopilot.

If I weren't trying to sell my Audi, Id drive it more, as its fun with its 6spd.

Auto only makes sense if you don't know stick, have no desire to learn and don't know better. Also, if you're a cripple or got arthritis or something

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
There’s a reason why manuals are going away, and it’s not that people don’t know how to drive them. They are gone from full sized trucks, as it’s tough to build one that holds up to 1,000+ ftlbs. Even tougher when you have to warranty it against wanna be ken blocks bang shifting and dumping the clutch like it’s gymkahna. They are going away from sports cars because across the board they are slower no matter who’s driving. Automatics of today are nothing like those of the old days. They are just superior to manuals at this point. If you really want to row your own gears go for it, but especially when it’s limiting you away from the better engine options, you are losing performance period.
And yet, not everyone wants performance. I can go to a MOPAR or Ford lot to take my pick of the automatic Wranglers, Mustangs, and Challenger's, yet Im willing to order what I want since its hard to find it.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
And yet, not everyone wants performance. I can go to a MOPAR or Ford lot to take my pick of the automatic Wranglers, Mustangs, and Challenger's, yet Im willing to order what I want since its hard to find it.
Agree, it should be an option. Some people prioritize nostalgia over function.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I would personally check into the issues experienced with the diesels before I bought one. Not all of them have issues, and they do have a lot of torque. Just educate yourself.
Your 2nd sentence seems to imply
that most of the diesels are problematic.

Sponsored

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Your 2nd sentence seems to imply
that most of the diesels are problematic.
No implications intended. Straightforward communication that says “educate yourself”. There are issues with the diesel, just like every other platform.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
They can build them to withstand whatever the market demands. The market isn't demanding them.

People buy manuals because they like them. Its that simple.

As for performance, what you said is not true in the Wrangler. Car and Driver got 6.1 0-60 out of a Sport 2 door with the manual/V6. The auto V6 was not as quick. The diesel, only available in the 4 door, is more than a second slower to 60. The 2.0 auto and 2 door was not as quick. So much for the argument of the superior engine. Not in the manual, anyway.

Autos are not nearly as interesting or fun, for me. Its that simple. Autos are just not as fun. Nobody's said they are not as good.

So it boils down to what you like better. That's what anyone should go for.

I thought about the auto becuase it is VERY good. But my wife nor I just didn't see ourselves in a Jeep where we were not shifting gears.

And after all that, I can't picture Daisy Duke driving an auto Jeep, either. Nuff said.

Flame on!!!!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
They can build them to withstand whatever the market demands. The market isn't demanding them.

People buy manuals because they like them. Its that simple.

As for performance, what you said is not true in the Wrangler. Car and Driver got 6.1 0-60 out of a Sport 2 door with the manual/V6. The auto V6 was not as quick. The diesel, only available in the 4 door, is more than a second slower to 60. The 2.0 auto and 2 door was not as quick. So much for the argument of the superior engine. Not in the manual, anyway.

Autos are not nearly as interesting or fun, for me. Its that simple. Autos are just not as fun. Nobody's said they are not as good.

So it boils down to what you like better. That's what anyone should go for.

I thought about the auto becuase it is VERY good. But my wife nor I just didn't see ourselves in a Jeep where we were not shifting gears.

And after all that, I can't picture Daisy Duke driving an auto Jeep, either. Nuff said.

Flame on!!!!
I definitely wasn't trying to flame, it comes down to driving what you like. If you're referring to the car and drive article I read, the only 2dr sport they tested was the v6 manual. Both the v6 and 2.0t they tested were 4 door Saharas, with ~1,000lbs more weight the 2.0t was only .4 seconds slower than the 2 door. The v6 was .7 seconds slower. The 2 saharas were the only apples to apples comparison and the 2.0t was clearly better. The diesel was a 4 door Rubicon, likely 1,500lbs heavier, large tires, lower gears, etc. Not even close in comparison. We use our jeep most often at altitude, and the boost of the 2 turbo options exacerbates the difference there. Watch tfl actual real world tests at 5,000 ft if you think I'm make any of this up. Again, drive what you like, but in direct comparison of similar models from mustang to hellcat the auto is faster.

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
I've driven manuals since I got my license at 16, so about 14 years. I've hated driving automatics, even with the "paddle shifters", but it took me driving my friend's GTR to appreciate how good an automatic can be. My wife's GLA250 has a DCT which is fun to drive, especially now that I don't have a car until the JL comes in, but it still isn't a replacement for a third pedal. I've resided myself that any future sports cars I get will most likely be automatic, unless I get a HUGE raise to afford a Porsche or buy used! They're going to have to rip my third pedal from my cold, dead feet!

I'm the same way. I've driven several and have yet to find one that I enjoy more than the 3 pedal equipped counter part. The E46 M3 was close because it "felt" more like a manual but was still missing the driver engagment that the true manual transmission provides.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I definitely wasn't trying to flame, it comes down to driving what you like. If you're referring to the car and drive article I read, the only 2dr sport they tested was the v6 manual. Both the v6 and 2.0t they tested were 4 door Saharas, with ~1,000lbs more weight the 2.0t was only .4 seconds slower than the 2 door. The v6 was .7 seconds slower. The 2 saharas were the only apples to apples comparison and the 2.0t was clearly better. The diesel was a 4 door Rubicon, likely 1,500lbs heavier, large tires, lower gears, etc. Not even close in comparison. We use our jeep most often at altitude, and the boost of the 2 turbo options exacerbates the difference there. Watch tfl actual real world tests at 5,000 ft if you think I'm make any of this up. Again, drive what you like, but in direct comparison of similar models from mustang to hellcat the auto is faster.
Fair enough, but we can go on and on because there are so many variables each time someone tests them. But the fastest documented 0-60 run in a JL was C&D with a manual/sport, 6.1, until the 392 came along. And I've not seen a 2 door 2.0/auto that tested as quick, and several have tested them. But they were close.

As for turbos at 5000 feet, of course. Forced induction thrives there. But I've driven my V6 all over Colorado and it does just fine. But I live at 800 feet. And the vast majority of the population lives below that. So it's not of major importance to me and is a moot point unless you live in the mountains. That said, I have friends that do, and several have the V6, and they love them. They never complain about them, auto or manual.

But in the end, to say that the auto gives access to better engines is also subjective. Better in what way? Each has advantages. So you have to line up the advantages with your priorities. My priorities are well documented in other threads, but they are just mine. I'd be happy to share if asked, but I think they are well documented throughout the forum by others who share them.

In the end, I don't think OP can go wrong. I think if I had any of the engine/transmission combinations I'd still love my Jeep. I just think shifting for myself adds to it.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One more thing. Look up the published gross weight of the 2 door versus the 4, with the same trim. They are not 1,000lbs apart. More like 400 to 450lbs, depending on engine/transmission/trim.
Sponsored