Sponsored

Question About Jeep Value (before I take delivery today)

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
So I'm picking up my new Nacho today. Bare in mind I already own a Punkin JLU, which I have now given to my girlfriend. Anyway, I have heard so much about the Jeep Wrangler holding so much of its vale blah blah blah. This morning I'm having few last minute butterflies about this commitment I'm about to make. So lets say 4 months from now I loose my job, or I just don't want the Jeep any more (not going to happen) I could theoretically sell it back to a dealership or privately, and walk away not owing anything to the bank? Am I dreaming here, or are my assumptions about right?
If you can get Jon Voight to sign the owner's manual and leave a chewed-up pencil in the glovebox, your Jeep WILL NOT depreciate in value ;)

download (6).gif

ScoobyBlue

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly 16JK Willys, now 21JL Rubicon
I think people need to keep in mind that what used vehicles are selling on the lot for is not what youā€™ll get on a trade-in, give back, or insurance claim. Thereā€™s not much customer negotiation power there when youā€™re giving back a vehicle.

Dealers use inside data, from places like Manheim Auto Auction which are updated frequently, as par for the course when doing trade-in deals. And you can only obtain that data if youā€™re a dealer or dealerā€™s agent. Youā€™ll never get the price for your vehicle that youā€™re seeing on the lots.

And youā€™ll certainly never get near those prices for a give-back. Donā€™t see as you could IMHO. šŸ¤·šŸ½ But you know what they say about opinions...šŸ˜‚

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
If we lost our jobs - we'd be selling our houses - and have awesome Jeeps to live in right?!?!

Right?!?!

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
The rule of thumb is you lose 20% of a new vehicle's value as soon as you drive it off the lot. Think about that before you hop in and drive away.

Sponsored

Rcarpen22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜67 CJ5, ā€˜20 JLU
Wait, you can still order a nacho Wrangler? Iā€™m not wild about the 2021 colors, but would dig nacho.

Rhinozeroone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
In the DC area, the resale is abnormally high. 2 colleagues of mine sold there Rubicons with one in 6 months for $500 more than negotiated price and 1 for 1000 less than negotiated price. They still had the cost of taxes (including property taxes in VA) and dealer fees.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The rule of thumb is you lose 20% of a new vehicle's value as soon as you drive it off the lot. Think about that before you hop in and drive away.
That rule of thumb absolutely doesn't apply to wranglers. You'd be hard pressed to find a 3 year old JL for more than 10% off what you can get a dealer down to on a new one. You'll lose out on taxes and finance charges for sure, but in a private party sale you can easily get back what you paid for the Jeep or close to it. We bought our 2019 in September when the 2020's were hitting the lots, and got $6k off msrp of $56k as a result. A year and a half and 25k miles later, kbb shows private party value of $46-50k. You get screwed on a trade in, especially if you modded it at all. The jeep private party market actually pays out better in my experience for already built rigs to a point. Even if I sold it on the low end at $46k I'm only $4k bellow what I paid for the jeep not including tax and license, etc.

Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
For what it's worth, I paid 32,000 new, for my JKU, in 2015, 4 years later and 50,000 miles, someone hit my Jeep and totaled it, I got 28,000 for it. Have your girlfriend pay for the new Jeep, then when you loose your job, you'll get all your money back!

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Slightly different take:
- I bought a 2000 TJ Sahara in 2005 for $10k (sweetheart deal at the time)
- Sold it w/ 130k miles in 2011 for $10k
If I wanted to buy that Jeep back today (a friend owns it and only puts maybe 2000 miles a year on it) I would likely pay very close to what I sold it for, if not a little more.

My 2018 JLUR cost me $48 before TTL. Iā€™m guessing I could sell it today for more than $40k.

Wranglers are incredibly good at retaining value.