Sponsored

Help before I order! 6spd manual or Diesel, 34's & level kit, half door questions

rustybm

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q7
Hi,

I’m new to the JL forum – I realize there are many posts on some of these items, but I’m about to place my order on a JL and was hoping for some comments/opinions/help before I pull the trigger.

I’ve previously owned a 2011 Rubicon 6 spd manual which had virtually no mods to it other than aesthetics. I definitely enjoy the stickshift, but this is also my daily driver for the next few years and I do remember the ‘fun’ of bumper to bumper rush hour. I just test drove the '21 6spd Rubicon and thought it was great with the 3.6 Pentastar and thought I’d made my decision….then I went and test drove the diesel Rubicon. Think I’ve settled on the diesel based on additional torque and how smooth that 8spd is…just asking for any more opinions from those with 6spd envy or diesel 8spd regrets??

As my daily driver, I won’t be putting 37’s on it any time soon (prob 3-4yrs away)…I’m thinking 295/70-17’s or 305/70-17’s…would like to find appropriate levelling kit or possibly just use simple 1/2 to 1" spacers given the planned modest tire changes. Anyone do anything similar to this, or do most go straight to at least 35’s with a standard 2” lift kit? Don’t want to waste time or money or reduce suspension functionality. Also don’t want the tires sticking way out past the fenders so think I need some modest level of positive offset (or at least no offset change from current rims). I’d love the AEV Salta wheels, but sounds like this offset will create some issues on JL (vs JK). Any comments on level kits or modest lifts (.5” to 1.5”) along with tire/wheel combos??

Lastly, on the jeep.ca build website (I’m up in Canada), you can clearly select the half doors as part of your build….BUT, as soon as you do that, it eliminates the option to select the ‘Dual Top Group’ and forces you to select either the hard top or soft top (see pics). Does anyone know if the top of the half doors needs to be matched to the specific top?? I’d want half doors to match soft top, but find it weird that I can’t build my order to have both tops + half doors? Dealer I spoke with did not know the answer and assumed they had to match either soft or hard top. If this was the case, I would have expected to see different part numbers. The other item on half doors is “Base uppers” or “Premium uppers”? Description of each is the same and have not seen any pics of either – any pics of these? Any insight on these half door option with hard/soft top would appreciated.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help before I order!  6spd manual or Diesel, 34's & level kit, half door questions Alert1

Thanks in advance for any comments…oh yeah…think I’m going with Grey Metallic! (talked myself out of Sting Gray).

My 2011 70th anniversary Rubicon...can't believe I sold this!

Jeep Wrangler JL Help before I order!  6spd manual or Diesel, 34's & level kit, half door questions jeep1

Ross
Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I am biased...

Jeep Wrangler JL Help before I order!  6spd manual or Diesel, 34's & level kit, half door questions Save the manuals 4

There is something to be said for fancy power plants as well as the "simpler" options (e.g., 3.6 with manual).

Though I like the Diesel, not going to give up my manual gear box. :D

Any Jeep you pick will be great.

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
I am biased...

Jeep Wrangler JL Help before I order!  6spd manual or Diesel, 34's & level kit, half door questions Save the manuals 4

There is something to be said for fancy power plants as well as the "simpler" options (e.g., 3.6 with manual).

+1 couldn't have said it better

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
For the Dual Door piece, you can't have JUST half doors, you have to get both full and half doors (2 sets). You can't get the Dual Door and Dual Top group together because there isn't room in the back for the soft top and half doors at delivery (the soft top takes up the entire back with seats folded when delivered with Dual Top group)

Also, I don't have my JL yet but went with the 6 speed. I can't break myself down to order an automatic yet. This will probably be the last new car Ill be able to get with a manual!

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
I am biased...

Couldn't of said it better myself.

If you're really crazy, can try and swap in your own diesel down the road with a stick built to handle the torque

Sponsored

OP
OP

rustybm

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q7
For the Dual Door piece, you can't have JUST half doors, you have to get both full and half doors (2 sets). You can't get the Dual Door and Dual Top group together because there isn't room in the back for the soft top and half doors at delivery (the soft top takes up the entire back with seats folded when delivered with Dual Top group)

Also, I don't have my JL yet but went with the 6 speed. I can't break myself down to order an automatic yet. This will probably be the last new car Ill be able to get with a manual!
I hadn't thought of shipping logistics...makes sense -- though when I got my 2011, the soft-top came installed inside and I had to take the hard top off to remove! Maybe best plan is to order the halfdoors with hard top and simply buy a soft-top afterwards.

Any idea on difference between "base uppers" and "premium uppers". Everyone seems to be speculating but we're all short on details or actual pics? Have called another dealer this morning.

Thanks for response...might need to test drive the 6 spd again!!!

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I hadn't thought of shipping logistics...makes sense -- though when I got my 2011, the soft-top came installed inside and I had to take the hard top off to remove! Maybe best plan is to order the halfdoors with hard top and simply buy a soft-top afterwards.

Any idea on difference between "base uppers" and "premium uppers". Everyone seems to be speculating but we're all short on details or actual pics? Have called another dealer this morning.

Thanks for response...might need to test drive the 6 spd again!!!
I think the base uppers match the standard soft top, the premium uppers match the premium soft top. I believe that's the only difference

OP
OP

rustybm

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q7
I think the base uppers match the standard soft top, the premium uppers match the premium soft top. I believe that's the only difference
...I think I see the source of my confusion. Up here, it appears you can only get a premium soft-top -- presumably because of nasty winters! Thanks! My path is getting clearer.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
I would personally check into the issues experienced with the diesels before I bought one. Not all of them have issues, and they do have a lot of torque. Just educate yourself.

My last Rubicon was a 2012 6spd. 2 door and I loved it, but there were some very technical trails that made having a manual very difficult. If you're planning on wheeling this thing hard an auto is tough to beat.

Overall I love manuals, I always have at least one. There is nothing like that driving experience on the road, but it also sucks in traffic. If you're in a more heavily populated area I wouldn't hesitate to buy an auto.

Sponsored

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited

With the new electric JL coming out I'm afraid its not long before our old school manual transmission equipped vehicles are gone. I don't care how good the automatic is for those of us who love shifting our own gears there's no replancment.

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
With the new electric JL coming out I'm afraid its not long before our old school manual transmission equipped vehicles are gone. I don't care how good the automatic is for those of us who love shifting our own gears there's no replancment.
I've driven manuals since I got my license at 16, so about 14 years. I've hated driving automatics, even with the "paddle shifters", but it took me driving my friend's GTR to appreciate how good an automatic can be. My wife's GLA250 has a DCT which is fun to drive, especially now that I don't have a car until the JL comes in, but it still isn't a replacement for a third pedal. I've resided myself that any future sports cars I get will most likely be automatic, unless I get a HUGE raise to afford a Porsche or buy used! They're going to have to rip my third pedal from my cold, dead feet!

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Since paddle shifters were mentioned...
Often hear of folks saying they got the automatic, but their car/truck has paddle shifters so it like a manual.

My $0.015 worth about paddle shifters:

Paddle shifters are like dating your cousin...​
Yes, it could be fun; but there's something not right about the whole thing.​

Jeep Wrangler JL Help before I order!  6spd manual or Diesel, 34's & level kit, half door questions Save the Manuals 1

Last edited:

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Definitely agree with you guys on the love of a manual. As long as I can have a sports car with a manual, I'm ok with an auto Jeep for technical trails. A manual Jeep is a lot of fun on the street, and challenging on the trail for me, on some trails too challenging.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
3 years and 40k with the 6 speed and 35s. Nice as that diesel is, I couldn't imagine owning a Jeep without a manual. It's just a blast in all kinds of driving.

I've got a manual 2008 JKUR and love it, too. But the JL manual is better in every way.

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure the diesel is great, if what it offers is what you are looking for.
Sponsored