wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
$84.00 for an oil change using bulk synthetic oil and an OEM filter?

Another shining example of why I do my own.
download the coupon and get three oil changes for a $100. That is full synthetic oil.
Sponsored

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Well. I’m not going to jump in on any of the fighting going on but I will say that I picked up the stuff to change diff and engine oil today.

Jeep has about 1500 on her as of today so it seems like a good time to do it.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Always remove the fill plug first before the drain plug. If you drain it then can’t remove the fill plug for whatever reason, you’re screwed. And always fill by capacity, not till it comes out of the fill hole. If the vehicle isn’t level, or you’ve got most aftermarket diff covers you won’t put in the right amount by filling until it runs out.

Then you put in the Freon. R134a, not R12.
Aftermarket Diff covers can change the capacity. If you use the standard capacity, you may not be putting in enough diff fluid. Some aftermarket diff covers are made to increase the capacity. The good thing is that diff fluid levels are pretty forgiving.

You are aware that the plug is torqued to 25ft .lbs? Is there some huge issue where something that is torqued to 25 ft. lbs and is bathed in diff fluid is hard to get out?

Anyways, I am sure this will remove it regardless...
Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer wants $660 to change differential fluid 1610499442651

1400 ft lbs of torque. The plug is coming out.

The only diff plug that I have seen on the JL be a problem to get out is the front bottom one after people with out diff skids have messed up the plug and can not get a 3/8 ratchet into the plug.

Heck I could be wrong. Maybe some people are using the above impact gun to put the plugs back in..........

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
You are aware that the plug is torqued to 25ft .lbs? Is there some huge issue where something that is torqued to 25 ft. lbs and is bathed in diff fluid is hard to get out?
The reason I learned to do it this way from my dad many years ago before I ever owned a Jeep, is that a fill plug might be unable to be removed due to rust or corrosion, damage, over tightening, or being rounded off. And if that’s the case then the vehicle is still 100% operable if the fluid hasn’t been drained first. Might need to drive it to buy a tool or part. It’s been a wrenching practice that I’ve always followed with good results.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Aftermarket Diff covers can change the capacity. If you use the standard capacity, you may not be putting in enough diff fluid. Some aftermarket diff covers are made to increase the capacity. The good thing is that diff fluid levels are pretty forgiving.

Anyways, I am sure this will remove it regardless...
1610499442651.png

1400 ft lbs of torque. The plug is coming out.

The only diff plug that I have seen on the JL be a problem to get out is the front bottom one after people with out diff skids have messed up the plug and can not get a 3/8 ratchet into the plug.

Heck I could be wrong. Maybe some people are using the above impact gun to put the plugs back in..........
All the torque in the world didn’t remove this transfer case fill plug on a Jeep I purchased a bunch of years ago. I did get creative though. First picture is how it looked before I touched it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer wants $660 to change differential fluid B18DBFED-3BA8-4DEE-9E97-EECCE7C9D4D5
Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer wants $660 to change differential fluid 559AC116-ED42-4A81-AE1C-7C767A9E25C6
Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer wants $660 to change differential fluid 19B04DBD-7B2F-4B97-A85A-0CC7C4E9A942

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
All the torque in the world didn’t remove this transfer case fill plug on a Jeep I purchased a bunch of years ago. I did get creative though. First picture is how it looked before I touched it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer wants $660 to change differential fluid 19B04DBD-7B2F-4B97-A85A-0CC7C4E9A942
This reply makes the point better than I did. :like:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Man, it's like talking to my kid.......I had stated the axle shaft bearings (which are at the end of the axle near the wheel) are lubed by the diff fluid. Anyone who knows anything about rear axles knows absolutely what I'm talking about. And of course the carrier bearings are lubed by the diff fluid. Lets agree that all of the bearings in the rear axle and on the rear axleshafts near the wheel are lubricated by the same fluid, which is the fluid in the differential. And that there's only one source of lubrication in the rear axle.....which is the differential fluid.

I'm so glad you're not putting words in my mouth since you're confusing AF! Re-read your statement I replied too. Even then you agreed with me in that the axle shaft bearings are lubricated by the diff fluid!
Here’s the problem, you’re reading this like it’s your Facebook timeline and it isn’t. This is the info people who don’t know anything about cars will find when they look up info about their Jeep. It’s okay to be specific.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
download the coupon and get three oil changes for a $100. That is full synthetic oil.
Buy Rotella Gas Truck synthetic oil on clearance and FRAM Ultra filters on sale and get 4 oil changes for about $50 and get higher quality oil and filters without wasting time going to the dealer and worrying about the incompetence associated therein...

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
So...I live just outside NYC and took my 2018 JLU to the dealer for 30K maint. They want $330 to change the differential fluid...each.

is it just me or is this high? Is there anything special a dealer does that isn’t just a straight forward oil change?

I could change it myself but it’s time and hassle I’d rather spend elsewhere.

Thx
I didn’t look through all the posts, but an easy job in garage / driveway. For LSD, you may need an additive though?

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
I always change oil early when I buy a vehicle new. Always have, always will.

I’m sure some will say it’s a waste, it’s money I can afford to lose.

Tonight I changed my wife’s ‘21 JLUR engine and diff oil. Engine oil came out clean, the magnets for the diffs were full to the max on front and rear after 1500 miles. Change your shit guys and gals.

Pics are front then rear diff bottom plugs with a follow up of the sludge from both on the towel.

0B000C51-BF23-4BE8-9DD5-9A662CE3920A.jpeg

0F096D28-4920-49D5-A1E6-06FB260488F0.jpeg

AD48270C-E08D-4133-8A84-3C9663E8306E.jpeg

Reactions: VNT

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
The reason I learned to do it this way from my dad many years ago before I ever owned a Jeep, is that a fill plug might be unable to be removed due to rust or corrosion, damage, over tightening, or being rounded off. And if that’s the case then the vehicle is still 100% operable if the fluid hasn’t been drained first. Might need to drive it to buy a tool or part. It’s been a wrenching practice that I’ve always followed with good results.
We are not working on 25 year old Jeeps. We are working on Jeeps that at best are about 3 years old or less. Many that are at their first diff fluid change. If it was 25 years old, then maybe. I would also say if your plug is all messed up, I would hope you would spend the two dollars and replace it before you put it back in.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer wants $660 to change differential fluid AD48270C-E08D-4133-8A84-3C9663E8306E
Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer wants $660 to change differential fluid AD48270C-E08D-4133-8A84-3C9663E8306E
So let me get this right, you are comparing a vehicle that someone obviously fucked up and is many years old to a new plug that was installed at the factory on a new Jeep. Got it. Of course if I climbed under my Jeep to do some maintenance and found that something was ruined, I would address that problem first. This is not an apples to orange comparison. And after you welded a bolt onto the plug, did it take more than 1400 ft lbs of torque to remove it???? Is the plug torque specs the same on the transfer case as it is on the diff? Does the transfer case use the same fluid? Is the transfer case process even what this thread is about? In reality, I could go on and find hundreds of bolts and screws that have been messed up and they like this post has nothing to do with changing the diff fluid on a newer vehicle.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
We are not working on 25 year old Jeeps. We are working on Jeeps that at best are about 3 years old or less. Many that are at their first diff fluid change. If it was 25 years old, then maybe. I would also say if your plug is all messed up, I would hope you would spend the two dollars and replace it before you put it back in.
1 quickie lube oil change or even dealer oil change can do exactly what he described. They are not putting ASC certified techs on oil change duty. I've had drain bolts destroyed on fairly new cars. Never underestimate the ability of someone who doesn't care about what they are doing to screw something up. And besides that, your Jeep will one day be older. It was a very wise thing to suggest.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Good habits are good habits. If we're giving tips to people who may have never done the job before, why not give them some good helpful habits? Maybe they do it on they nice shiny new JL and see it's a simple job, so they go and help their friend to it on their TJ which may not be so pristine.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Good habits are good habits. If we're giving tips to people who may have never done the job before, why not give them some good helpful habits? Maybe they do it on they nice shiny new JL and see it's a simple job, so they go and help their friend to it on their TJ which may not be so pristine.
Not to mention bottom-draining fluids drain more quickly and with less burping/mess when having a valve open above to allow for air displacement.
Sponsored