2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
So...I live just outside NYC and took my 2018 JLU to the dealer for 30K maint. They want $330 to change the differential fluid...each.

is it just me or is this high? Is there anything special a dealer does that isn’t just a straight forward oil change?

I could change it myself but it’s time and hassle I’d rather spend elsewhere.

Thx
that sounds like changing diff AND axle fluids around here

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
that sounds like changing diff AND axle fluids around here
Diff and axle are one and the same. Did you intend to say transmission and/or transfer case?

And no need to worry about axle fluid because we already decided we're going to run freon in there.

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
While it says axle, they are actually replacing the gear oil in the differential housing
And none of that goes to the axles? I am not mechanically inclined, and trying to understand. Wouldn't you want some sort of lubricant, grease or otherwise, around metal that is spinning inside a metal tube? Even if the housing doesn't touch the actual axle shaft.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
And none of that goes to the axles? I am not mechanically inclined, and trying to understand. Wouldn't you want some sort of lubricant, grease or otherwise, around metal that is spinning inside a metal tube? Even if the housing doesn't touch the actual axle shaft.
No fluid in the tubes. There are seals on the ends of the axle shaft to keep the gear oil out

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
No fluid in the tubes. There are seals on the ends of the axle shaft to keep the gear oil out
That's only half correct. The front axle has inner seals to keep the fluid in the differential. The rear axle does allow fluid into the tubes to lubricate the axle shaft bearings.

If you look at the breather tube on the front axle, it is in the diff. The breather for the rear axle is in the axle tube. Disclaimer: This is where they're at on the Rubicon axles.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
13 pages to say pull the bottom plug and let the diff fluid drain and then pull the top plug.. Put in the bottom plug add diff fluid until it comes out of the top plug hole. Put top plug back in. Just about anyone should be able to do this job in their driveway in 15 minutes.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
13 pages to say pull the bottom plug and let the diff fluid drain and then pull the top plug.. Put in the bottom plug add diff fluid until it comes out of the top plug hole. Put top plug back in. Just about anyone should be able to do this job in their driveway in 15 minutes.
If you have a level driveway.