Sponsored

Locker Options for Sport

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I had Front locker installed at 4WP (I have LSD rear) here was the cost. I only had 4K miles any higher and I would have needed to also replace the gears...

4wp Locker jpg.jpg
Why would you have to replace the gears with more miles?
Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Why would you have to replace the gears with more miles?
$WD when they installed said they would not install unless Gears were basically new or they replaced gears, they were concerned with wear and said anything with more than 5000 miles they would require new gears. Does not change labor cost just a couple hundred for parts.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I know, who will release first eaton or OX?

really don’t want to run air lockers

Hows your rear holding up?
I was going to go to Arkansas for some BOH trails with family but it’s postponed. Just daily driving so far.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Clutches are cheap to replace, however adding lockers to the front you will out perform Rubicons in most senarios except hard core crawling and climbing. ALso you being in Ontario with snow LSD is way better than lockers
they are cheap but then it will just wear out again. I will lock it and the jeep just gained a bunch of performance for crawling rocks

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
$WD when they installed said they would not install unless Gears were basically new or they replaced gears, they were concerned with wear and said anything with more than 5000 miles they would require new gears. Does not change labor cost just a couple hundred for parts.
That’s ridiculous but not surprised coming from 4WP.

Last edited:

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
That’s ridiculous but not surprised coming from 4WP.

That policy/recommendation is from Eaton 4WP simply made an exception since I had such low miles and upon inspection gears were like new. Personally I could not be happier with 4WP, excellent price, competent installation...

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
The Pinion depth is the most difficult aspect of gear setup so if you’re only changing the differential and reusing the same ring gear, as long as the backlash is dialed back in, it should be good to go. Am I missing something?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
First of all, why would you want to keep replacing clutches? 2nd of all I’d love to hear you explain how you expect to outperform someone who is locked front and rear?

I guess physics is not your thing, I have not replaced any clutches and likely will not need to for some time if I do it is covered under warranty. Secondly Lockers are great until you have to make any turns, then binding and then breaking traction, mot to mention when one wheel breaks traction they both do unlike LSD allows for more turning without binding and since power is disbursed as needed less likely to break traction. Unless you have the Tazer Mopar lockers are limited to 4L. Look 4 wheel lockers are the best for rock crawling and similar events and for 99% of us that is rare if at all. I am now setup with both Lockers front and LSD rear kinda the best of both worlds. I admit lockers are great till you have to make turns which is why in Snow, sand, mud and loose dirt lockers can me problematic.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The Pinion depth is the most difficult aspect of gear setup so if you’re only changing the differential and reusing the same ring gear, as long as the backlash is dialed back in, it should be good to go. Am I missing something?
You will need to take that up with Eaton's engineers, it is there product so their rules, they do not profit off the sale of the gears so I assume it is a reasonable requirement.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
You will need to take that up with Eaton's engineers, it is there product so their rules, they do not profit off the sale of the gears so I assume it is a reasonable requirement.
Nah, not really. Experience is sufficient. Unless the gears were damaged, excessively worn... they’re just covering their ass with your wallet. If you factor that the gear tech might setup the preload and depth wrong, worse than factory...in my opinion ...it may be worth leaving the Pinion alone if you’re staying with the same ratio. Now if you had 50, 75, or 100k miles...sure it starts making more sense. Again just my humble opinion. To each their own.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I guess physics is not your thing, I have not replaced any clutches and likely will not need to for some time if I do it is covered under warranty. Secondly Lockers are great until you have to make any turns, then binding and then breaking traction, mot to mention when one wheel breaks traction they both do unlike LSD allows for more turning without binding and since power is disbursed as needed less likely to break traction. Unless you have the Tazer Mopar lockers are limited to 4L. Look 4 wheel lockers are the best for rock crawling and similar events and for 99% of us that is rare if at all. I am now setup with both Lockers front and LSD rear kinda the best of both worlds. I admit lockers are great till you have to make turns which is why in Snow, sand, mud and loose dirt lockers can me problematic.
lol, k. I don’t think you understand physics or how a locker works. If you lose traction on one wheel you still have traction on the other with a locker. Good luck with your lsd, you’ll need it.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Nah, not really. Experience is sufficient. Unless the gears were damaged, excessively worn... they’re just covering their ass with your wallet. If you factor that the gear tech might setup the preload and depth wrong, worse than factory...in my opinion ...it may be worth leaving the Pinion alone if you’re staying with the same ratio. Now if you had 50, 75, or 100k miles...sure it starts making more sense. Again just my humble opinion. To each their own.
Not just opinion, it’s completely ludicrous to require a gear change when installing a locker. I guess if I understood physics better maybe I would get this guy’s argument. lol

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
That policy/recommendation is from Eaton 4WP simply made an exception since I had such low miles and upon inspection gears were like new. Personally I could not be happier with 4WP, excellent price, competent installation...
Yeah there’s no way 4WP would ever touch my rig, but to each his own.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
lol, k. I don’t think you understand physics or how a locker works. If you lose traction on one wheel you still have traction on the other with a locker. Good luck with your lsd, you’ll need it.

Dude That is not how lockers work hence the name "LOCKER" say in snow, sand or mud if one breaks loose so has the other (both sides of the axel are "locked" together) which is why you have terrible binding and or traction loss on turns with lockers. Both wheels on the locker axel can only turn at the same speed which is also why turning with lockers is problematic. However if say a tire is elevated yes the other tire still has traction however both wheels spin at the same speed/ratio. LSD accomplishes the same thing only it transfers power when needed. Granted for hard core climbing in a straight line lockers are great however to the other 99% of off road LSD has distinct advantages with better over all traction and control since lockers should not be used when turns are involved.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Dude That is not how lockers work hence the name "LOCKER" say in snow, sand or mud if one breaks loose so has the other (both sides of the axel are "locked" together) which is why you have terrible binding and or traction loss on turns with lockers. Both wheels on the locker axel can only turn at the same speed which is also why turning with lockers is problematic. However if say a tire is elevated yes the other tire still has traction however both wheels spin at the same speed/ratio. LSD accomplishes the same thing only it transfers power when needed. Granted for hard core climbing in a straight line lockers are great however to the other 99% of off road LSD has distinct advantages with better over all traction and control since lockers should not be used when turns are involved.
You’ve obviously never driven with a rear locker before. Yes, on ice and snow at speed an LSD is better. My wrangler is the last vehicle I’d use on ice and snow, I’d rather drive my wife’s civic. Mud? Not so much. The lockers will perform better in the mud all day. The LSD that Jeep uses is literally the worst one ever built. I know you want to think that a rear LSD is better than a locker. Nobody that does any kind of wheeling will agree with you.
Sponsored