Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
I'd just start with taking it in and show them. If you had a fair deal with your salesperson (since it was so recent) and picked a good one, they'll back you to discuss what they can do, starting with evaluating the noise and paint. If you tried to squeeze them for every penny and find the cheapest dealership (like some here), yeah, forget about it, they owe you nothing and may not care. They will want to find the cheapest paint repair place they have relations with. The one time I let a dealership repaint my hood, it was a nightmare. I had a 300ZX that had an injector recall and they didn't latch the hood properly after. 1/2 mi down the road at 60 mph, the hood flew up and smashed against the car, breaking the windshield. I should've sued for nearly killing me, but let them fix it. It turned into over a year of repaints that weren't even close to matching.
If this is bondo they used on a new vehicle... is this shit not illegal to some degree?
Sponsored

Beebe Senior

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Oof you’re breaking my heart right now! Is there a way I can definitely tell if it’s bondo? Don’t have experience with bondo other than knowing what it is
That def looks like body repair work. Magnet would be my first test.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR; 2021 JLR
If this is bondo they used on a new vehicle... is this shit not illegal to some degree?
I have a 2021 2-door Rubicon with just over 400 miles and it does not make that noise--doesn't seem right. Sorry that you have gotten stuck with these issues. If the source of the noise is identified, could you post an update?

Reseg

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Yeah it doesn't look like a repaint, but a repair, which as a new vehicle surely isn't acceptable, though I won't pretend to know the legality of it. I HIGHLY doubt the factory would release it like that, but either way, wtf. Seriously, if you had a good salesperson, hit them up as a place to start. They may be just as horrified and demand another vehicle, or push for something to make it right.

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
I have a 2021 2-door Rubicon with just over 400 miles and it does not make that noise--doesn't seem right. Sorry that you have gotten stuck with these issues. If the source of the noise is identified, could you post an update?
I will post every update I get in here. It’s always a good resource Incase someone has a similar issue in the future

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Yeah it doesn't look like a repaint, but a repair, which as a new vehicle surely isn't acceptable, though I won't pretend to know the legality of it. I HIGHLY doubt the factory would release it like that, but either way, wtf. Seriously, if you had a good salesperson, hit them up as a place to start. They may be just as horrified and demand another vehicle, or push for something to make it right.
It happens all the time and the laws vary by state but generally repairs can add up to a fairly significant percentage of the purchase price before they have to be disclosed. Also, that looks more like drywall spackle than bondo.

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
The salesman was actually an old gym “buddy” of mine. Let’s see how much of a true friend he is when I tell him what I found tomorrow!

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I would bring the rear tailgate up to them and see what they say but not push it too hard. It's good that it's in an area where the paint quality doesn't matter and won't really be seen. That's a piss poor job but I'd be worried about the job they do over it. Dealers generally don't do or shop out good body work.

Hearing a noise now is good in the sense that your vehicle is brand new and under warranty. Defects happen and issues that arise this early expose them. Trading it in is overthinking a simple situation. You have 3 years of warranty for a reason. Let the dealer take care of the noise and you'll have a brand new Wrangler on your hands. Don't let minor things ruin the big picture of what a great vehicle the JL is.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
My ‘19 had a rear diff bearing go out at less than 500 miles but it sounded different. I hope your dealer can fix your issue.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I've had this thing for 200 miles and I think something is up unfortunately. I'm hearing a shuttering/clunking noise when doing a U-turn at slow speeds, it seems to be coming from the rear end.
I uploaded a short clip so you guys can hear what I'm talking about. you can't really hear it unless you hold the speaker up close to your ear or have headphones on but once you hear it you'll know what I'm talking about.

here's me doing donuts in my backyard to recreate the noise.
you can really hear it at 13 seconds

anyone know what this could be?

I also have what looks like a paint defect in the rear tailgate, does anyone else have this? Would it be better to take it to the dealership i bought it at or would the closest Jeep dealership be okay?

F01DBD1A-0F5C-4492-AEF3-54FDF33438D9.jpeg

There is no way in hell it left the factory in that condition...That is the work of a first rate hack shop. This is something JeepCares needs to be involved in and escalate it to higher up's at FAC...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
There is no way in hell it left the factory in that condition...That is the work of a first rate hack shop. This is something JeepCares needs to be involved in and escalate it to higher up's at FAC...
Welp I read your comment and called up Jeep cares. they didn’t want to help what so ever. Total of 8 minute phone call where they basically said “ go to your dealer, I can’t answer” 4 times

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
That really sucks to buy a new expensive vehicle and have to deal with quality issues and dealerships. I feel your pain.

Maybe call Jeep Care first? I worry about the metal underneath the paint being rusty or defective. Maybe you need a replacement tailgate.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Welp I read your comment and called up Jeep cares. they didn’t want to help what so ever. Total of 8 minute phone call where they basically said “ go to your dealer, I can’t answer” 4 times

Damm...I would defiantly pay a visit to the selling dealer...However, I would first look over the entire Jeep, especially the left rear quarter panel and underneath the vehicle for any other signs of paint or body work. If you find what looks like other repairs, it would be in your best interest to pay a reputable independent body shop for an inspection and written report-before going to the dealer.

Northern88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler jl 2 dr
My 2020 2 door sport s has the same noise when driving just as you describe. It’s been doing it since I picked it up with 12 miles and still does it at 15k miles but slightly more now. I put 33” mud tires on it around the 11k mile mark so I know if I bring it in they will try to say that caused the noise.

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
My 2020 2 door sport s has the same noise when driving just as you describe. It’s been doing it since I picked it up with 12 miles and still does it at 15k miles but slightly more now. I put 33” mud tires on it around the 11k mile mark so I know if I bring it in they will try to say that caused the noise.
Considering you can get 33s from the factory that would be some major bs for them to say that. You can always swap some stock tires on when you take it in. I’ll update here if they end up fixing the noise
Sponsored