Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
I've had mine on for almost two weeks now and glad to say super happy!!! Yes it's not for everyone but the fit and finish is really really nice imo. Instructions could definitely use some tweaking but that'll happen over time no doubt.

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg
Looks awesome! I have my rear bumper and tire carrier on order and hopefully ships soon.

Did you install it yourself? Trying to decide if I install myself or take it to a shop - I plan to get a lift put on in Jan/Feb and might have them do the bumper/tire carrier at the same time.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

acftmec

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ Impact Orange/ '20 JLU Sport S Bikini Pearl
Looks awesome! I have my rear bumper and tire carrier on order and hopefully ships soon.

Did you install it yourself? Trying to decide if I install myself or take it to a shop - I plan to get a lift put on in Jan/Feb and might have them do the bumper/tire carrier at the same time.

Thoughts?
I did the install myself but took my time (3 days off and on). Going into the install I did my research on the entire process. Took a few notes from the JK users as well. If you can afford to have your Jeep down for a few days, I say go for it definitely. If you're rushed for time then find a AEV shop (dealer/installer) to install.

xj_scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I did the install myself but took my time (3 days off and on). Going into the install I did my research on the entire process. Took a few notes from the JK users as well. If you can afford to have your Jeep down for a few days, I say go for it definitely. If you're rushed for time then find a AEV shop (dealer/installer) to install.
Do you have any specific tips after going through the process?

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
Got it, I’ll poke around a bit and see what I can come up with.... just ordered mine on Jan 6 and it arrives tomorrow!!

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Any thoughts that AEV might come out with a dual swing system on their rear as part of the EX series of products along with the full width EX front?

With the cut outs on both side, it make me wonder.

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV JLU Wrangler Build [SEMA 2019] 1610420133883

Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I had one on a JK and the left side used to be for a water tank inside the bumper. I guess they did away with it although I would think it was a re design for JL, but it looks pretty similar to the last one.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Mine is mid-surgery at the moment and without question, the most frustrating bit is the downright falsehood that is their listed 6-hr project time. Maybe if you’re their upfit installer on their 20th go at it, but for Joe Average who will almost exclusively be on their first, plan on doubling that time and being down a road-worthy vehicle for at least a day, if not two.

acftmec

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have any specific tips after going through the process?
Make sure you have plenty of room with all the boxes. Get some nice new sharp drill bits!!!!!! I did have to remove my passenger side tail light. That was the only way for me to removed and install the tire carrier. I'll review my notes here in a post what i noted down. Most importantly is DO NOT RUSH this process. If you have that understanding going into the install you'll save yourself some headaches.

acftmec

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is mid-surgery at the moment and without question, the most frustrating bit is the downright falsehood that is their listed 6-hr project time. Maybe if you’re their upfit installer on their 20th go at it, but for Joe Average who will almost exclusively be on their first, plan on doubling that time and being down a road-worthy vehicle for at least a day, if not two.
Agreed it's frustrating at times, but when it'll all make sense lol. I was fortunate to have my TJ to drive in between. After I was done I thought the same thing. No way in HELL this could be done that amount of time. I've been working on aircraft for 19 years and was left scratching my head from time to time.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed it's frustrating at times, but when it'll all make sense lol. I was fortunate to have my TJ to drive in between. After I was done I thought the same thing. No way in HELL this could be done that amount of time. I've been working on aircraft for 19 years and was left scratching my head from time to time.
Yea at this point I’ve made small modifications to every component save for the backup light bracket. AEV told me they're planning on changing the instructions to include removal of the right side brake light...attempting to fit the carrier without doing so will probably lead someone to damaging the brass collar inside the spindle housing. Probably the biggest issue I’ve found so far which has no real solution is the guaranteed damage to the powder coat when fitting the center section. It’s too tight to avoid scraping powder coat off both the center and corner sections and once fitted, there is no way to touch up the areas of overlapping metal. They are going to rust as water and salt work their way into those spaces. At least reaming out the two bolt holes in the center section can be treated prior to bolting, though you’d think after don’t a couple dozen upfits they’d have realized the factory tolerances are too tight when the corner shims are used to level the corner pieces.

Sponsored

bdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks for all of the tips from those that have installed their bumpers. My rear bumper arrived today, but I have to wait for my work light to get here before I can do the install.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One more bit of advice for anyone following along. DO NOT use the longest of the bolts available to tie the carrier to the wheel mount even if you have OEM or AEV wheel offsets. The instructions tell you to do this and you will risk stripping the threads of that bolt with no viable means of drilling the thing out if you do. My guess is they carried this over from the JK, but someone is going to get seriously hosed by it unless they change the directions.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
Installed mine a month ago. It took 2 of use a total of 9 hours to install it...that included time to put it on take it off, modify it to fit. Put it on, strip 2 bolts, retread the bolts and then get it all in.

Definitely had to take the Right Rear tail light out to get the Carrier arm on. Suggest if the bolts don't go into the middle cover the first time take it off and enlarge the holes...this is where I stripped 2 bolts.

JLURD is right about the long bolt for the spare...I have the AEV Borah wheels and used the middle size bolt. Also, the adjustment for the carrier and the turnbuckle is a joke...the guy must have used new math on this...it was way too long and I had to shorten it after installing it. You can adjust it while it is on. Made it way easier for me.

Oh, and have plenty of band-aides for your knuckles.

When installing the Flares and Guards know that will will drill the holes as close to 90 degrees as possible. Connecting the flares to the guards this works good. BUT, when connecting the bolts to the tank you will find they are at an angle and if you drilled the holes perpendicular to the guard and flaps they won't line up...save yourself some headache and ream the holes out before you attach them to the tanks and jeep. It took me about 2 hours to get them installed and everything cleaned up. Second side goes soooo much faster.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Do they not supply instructions?

CaliMat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
When installing the Flares and Guards know that will will drill the holes as close to 90 degrees as possible. Connecting the flares to the guards this works good. BUT, when connecting the bolts to the tank you will find they are at an angle and if you drilled the holes perpendicular to the guard and flaps they won't line up...save yourself some headache and ream the holes out before you attach them to the tanks and jeep. It took me about 2 hours to get them installed and everything cleaned up. Second side goes soooo much faster.
[/QUOTE]

I am not sure I understand what you are saying about the flares and guards. You recommend not drilling at 90 degree angle and reaming the holes to make things easier. Is my understanding correct?
Sponsored