Sponsored

For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first??

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Want to add some basic skid protection but don't have the budget to go all-in on complete set as of now. What would be the best area to start, I was thinking that plate under the oil pan and the front under the swaybar area??
TIA
Sponsored

Offroad

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 WK2
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Very interested in this as well. From past experience with the wife's WK2, right in front of the rear wheels is where you would want to start. That's the fuel tank skids on the WK2. Ask me how I know...
Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? AK3Z9256

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
On the JL, I'll second @3VOLVE that the oil pan would be the first skid plate to add. The fuel tank (and eTorque if equipped) already has a factory skid plate, while the oil pan is pretty vulnerable. After that's protected, then I'd add transmission/transfer case skid, and finally a better fuel tank skid.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Reactions: J0E

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have any experience with the DV8 stuff, so I can't comment. I have used MORE stuff and it is well made, strong, and fitment is always good.

Since you're going to be doing this piece by piece over a period of time, I recommend you stick with one manufacturer. This will allow the pieces to fit together correctly and be better aesthetically. Rusty's makes a skid plate system in which you can buy the pieces individually.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I don't have any experience with the DV8 stuff, so I can't comment. I have used MORE stuff and it is well made, strong, and fitment is always good.

Since you're going to be doing this piece by piece over a period of time, I recommend you stick with one manufacturer. This will allow the pieces to fit together correctly and be better aesthetically. Rusty's makes a skid plate system in which you can buy the pieces individually.
I've heard mixed reviews w/ the DV8 & Rough County parts. That sounds like a good plan sticking w/ one product line, especially when they integrate like skid plates. Nice to hear about the MORE parts, will look into the Rusty parts, thanks!

***BUMMER, no parts for the 2dr w/ the Rusty lineup, not even the oil pan :(

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Just raid your sizable 401k and take out enough to do all of the mods your Jeep could ever want. Then JL get custom MetalCloak, Artec, or RockHard full skids in titanium. Problem solved.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just raid your sizable 401k and take out enough to do all of the mods your Jeep could ever want. Then JL get custom MetalCloak, Artec, or RockHard full skids in titanium. Problem solved.
Artec has no 2dr setup, and you know me CT, I'm not a titanium guy :)

Ideally a one&done system would be great, I really like the MetalCloak set, so maybe just hold off until tax money comes around (so I won't have to tap into my platinum 401k) that may be the way to go. Looks like I could piece together a similar set from MORE, so those are my current options that I'll mull over. That Zinc coating on the MetalCloak would be a nice step up from that powdercoat on the MORE parts.

Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Artec has no 2dr setup, and you know me CT, I'm not a titanium guy :)

Ideally a one&done system would be great, I really like the MetalCloak set, so maybe just hold off until tax money comes around (so I won't have to tap into my platinum 401k) that may be the way to go. Looks like I could piece together a similar set from MORE, so those are my current options that I'll mull over. That Zinc coating on the MetalCloak would be a nice step up from that powdercoat on the MORE parts.
i just thought I would add this since you are talking Metalcloak. I bought their rear differential skid and the fit and finish is awesome. I like the gold. I wasn’t sold on it at first, but it looks cool. I did Ranch front diff skid because I did not want to change my differential cover, but it is not as nicely made as the Metalcloak. I assume all their products would have the same workmanship.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I have the MC underarmor and love it. It is diesel specific and has served me well. I didn't stop there. I added front and rear diff skid plates, FAD covers and control arm/shock covers. I hear that distinctive sound when I get in the rocks.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I added skids to protect oil pan, front diff. oil drain plug, lca's, sway bar disconnect motor and exhaust loop on my rig, all have several scrapes. I have a M.O.R.E. belly pan that has a lot also. I wish Artec would get their alum. 2dr belly pan into production. Very pricey but I'll spring for a swap of my heavy metal unit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Brad have you crawled underneath (or put it on a lift) and seen where you’ve got the most battle scars?
Luckily only a couple scrapes by the shock mounts and that OEM skid plate on the front axle that I'm aware of. I'm mainly worried about damaging something that will leave me stranded, like that bad bottom drain plug mount on the Dana 35, the oil pan, transmission pan, and transfer case. For the wheeling I plan to do the OEM gas tank skid plate should suffice :fingerscrossed:
Sponsored