Sponsored

My dealer really left me hanging

Col Oliver

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler UL Rubicon, 2015 Indian Scout, 2015 Challenger Shaker, 1979 Triumph TR8
I bought my JL back in early March. Being a resident of Soith Dakota I needed to register my Jeep in South Dakota from the dealer I bought it in Mississippi. So after 10 days no registration so I call the dealer and they give me a story of SD being far away and a backward state (this coming from someone from Mississippi). 20 days later I call again and they ensure me they sent it and it’s SD fault. I call the SD and they have nothing.

20 days later I am concerned I am driving my JL illegally and I call SD and they still have nothing. So today I call the dealer and tell them I am bringing the Jeep back and that I am calling SD and sending them the bill of sale showing I had paid the dealer the sales tax and the dealer has not sent it to them.

I call SD and email them my bill of sale and SD calls the dealer while I am driving to the dealership. When I arrive the Dealer, the management is there it greet me with the biggest apology on how they have no idea how they could have possibly lost my paperwork for a total of 60 days.

All pretty shady to me.... especially for a very large dealership with multiple brands
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
All they have to do is give you a temp tag for Miss at point of sale. Then you do your transfer process in SD.

OP
OP
Col Oliver

Col Oliver

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler UL Rubicon, 2015 Indian Scout, 2015 Challenger Shaker, 1979 Triumph TR8
I needed my tag from South Dakota transfered.. and I am residing in Tennessee while working here

mgrowc1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
So you started to call the dealer after 10 days because of no registration? I’m confused as that would be way too quick. I don’t live in Mississippi but that’s also where I got my jeep. Dealer gave me five weeks worth of temp tags and when I still didn’t get my registration in the mail I called them and they sent me three more weeks. By that time I received the registration. Drive around with temp tags for six weeks, nothin illegal.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I don't get it, you should have got a temp tag from the MS dealer then you could transfer whatever plates to whatever state you want.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Col Oliver

Col Oliver

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In SD you have 10 days get your regristration, in PA they get it to you in 10 days. Maybe my expectations were too high but I know when I go back to SD and if some police were to run my tags I’d been paying a hefty fine

mgrowc1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
In SD you have 10 days get your regristration, in PA they get it to you in 10 days. Maybe my expectations were too high but I know when I go back to SD and if some police were to run my tags I’d been paying a hefty fine
I’m missing something I guess. 10 days doesn’t make sense and seems unrealistic.

mgrowc1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
This is what I just got from the SD DMV site. Is this not what you’re referring to:

Effective July 1, 2015, vehicle owners have 45 days to apply for title and registration of an aquired vehicle. All vehicles aquired prior to July 1, 2015 must be titled and registered within 30 days.

There is not a provision for extensions on the 45 day requirement. Interest and penalties will accrue on the motor vehicle excise tax. All fees are assessed from the purchase date regardless of when an applicant applies for title and registration.

Interest is at a rate of 1 percent or $5, whichever is greater, for the first month; and 1 percent per month thereafter on any application made after 45 days from the date of purchase. (Interest is not calculated on interest.) A one-time penalty equal to 10 percent of the tax or $10, whichever is greater, is automatically applied against any application made after 60 days from the purchase date.

OP
OP
Col Oliver

Col Oliver

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And I have been proven wrong. In Pa you buy a vehicle the dealer send the info in immediately and th regristration arrived at your house. All the vehicles in SD I have bought, you get a 10 day temp tag. I guess I was assuming that was not extendable, I always went and regristared immediately. My Bad to all you legal eagles out there...

mgrowc1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
And I have been proven wrong. In Pa you buy a vehicle the dealer send the info in immediately and th regristration arrived at your house. All the vehicles in SD I have bought you get a 10 day temp tag. I guess assuming that was not extendable, I always went and regristared immediately. My Bad to all you legal eagle out there

Haha, I wasn’t out to prove wrong just to understand as it sounded odd. I learned that in miss they can only give you tag for 7 days so I had a bunch of post dated tags I was supposed to keep swapping out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Col Oliver

Col Oliver

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, after the slap down for being Inpatient for my regristration I was going to walk away with my tail tucked and today this happened.

I get a call from SD tellng me that they got the state tax from the dealer and regristration paperwork... but it was $322.50 short.... no regristration until the full taxes and fees paid. I check my paperwork and they did indeed pay all that they had calculated in taxes. So I call the dealer and they shrugged and said guess you have to pay it.

Thought on that one? Seems to me I paid for a vehicle and the dealer should be on the hook for not getting the taxes correct since we signed the paperwork and it was tax title and fees...

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ok, after the slap down for being Inpatient for my regristration I was going to walk away with my tail tucked and today this happened.

I get a call from SD tellng me that they got the state tax from the dealer and regristration paperwork... but it was $322.50 short.... no regristration until the full taxes and fees paid. I check my paperwork and they did indeed pay all that they had calculated in taxes. So I call the dealer and they shrugged and said guess you have to pay it.

Thought on that one? Seems to me I paid for a vehicle and the dealer should be on the hook for not getting the taxes correct since we signed the paperwork and it was tax title and fees...
Honestly you have two choices:

1. Fight them for it. Spend time and possibly money. You'll end up paying more in the end.

2. The dealership miscalculated. Your taxes are what they are. It should be what you paid when you signed. Bottom line it is your taxes. Pay it and enjoy driving your brand new Jeep around.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Doesn't work like that. You are on the hook and YOU need to pay. Not debatable.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Yeah. You pay the taxes. Whether they calculated right or wrong. They are what they are.

Enjoy your Jeep!

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Agree with the others. The taxes are your responsibility. Unfortunately, dealer error is not a valid excuse.
Sponsored