Sponsored

What dollar amount or % did u get under MSRP/invoice?

CalPolyDM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
What exact is $5381 in rebates? If you truly paid, $35,423 - $5381 rebate(s), the dealer ripped you on the sales tax. The OH sales tax 5.75% was paid on $35,423
My OH tax is 6.5%, state (5.75%) and county (0.75%). The rebates were the factory level incentives and unfairly they all charge sales tax on the price without rebates from the factory, never and still don’t understand how this is right, but this is the case. Same with doc fees... in OH it’s limited to $250, KY not so much and this dealer charged $499. It was a problem legally to reduce the doc fees (discrimination). When I purchased, I only focused on the out the door, so if they moved some numbers I didnt’ care as long as the out the door was what I wanted. And I paid ~$42 over $30k but they delivered it ~3-4 hours away to my home.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
My OH tax is 6.5%, state (5.75%) and county (0.75%). The rebates were the factory level incentives and unfairly they all charge sales tax on the price without rebates from the factory, never and still don’t understand how this is right, but this is the case. Same with doc fees... in OH it’s limited to $250, KY not so much and this dealer charged $499. It was a problem legally to reduce the doc fees (discrimination). When I purchased, I only focused on the out the door, so if they moved some numbers I didnt’ care as long as the out the door was what I wanted. And I paid ~$42 over $30k but they delivered it ~3-4 hours away to my home.
Where in Kentucky did you buy?

Sponsored

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I agree that it is lame the sales tax is based on the sale price and does not include the incentives but I have had it explained as such. This is fair and balanced across all products. The sale price is dictated by a store but an incentive is treated like a coupon. If a store is selling a can of tomatoes for $1.00 you pay sales tax for a dollar. If they lower their selling price to $0.25 that is what you pay tax on. If you have a coupon for $0.75 making the price $0.25 you pay sales tax on the $1.00. Taxes are unaffected by coupons and that is how most states categorize incentives.

Jeeperific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited 70th
Can you get confirmation form the dealer that they will pay all this tax amount to the State and Local Tax authorities? I got taxed on what I negotiated down to and this included a $1,500 targeted coupon form jeep which they applied after the sale. Regarding the $1,500 coupon, the dealer cut me a check and added the tax back from the initial sale. BTW the coupon was agreed to in the initial sale but it had not come through in the jeep dealer system yet.

I think the tax is being misshandled and accounted for by the dealer and would collect the over payment of report and think of reporting dealer to State Attorney General.

Here is the law in Massachusetts: https://www.mass.gov/regulations/830-CMR-64h14-discounts-coupons-and-rebates

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Can you get confirmation form the dealer that they will pay all this tax amount to the State and Local Tax authorities? I got taxed on what I negotiated down to and this included a $1,500 targeted coupon form jeep which they applied after the sale. Regarding the $1,500 coupon, the dealer cut me a check and added the tax back from the initial sale. BTW the coupon was agreed to in the initial sale but it had not come through in the jeep dealer system yet.

I think the tax is being misshandled and accounted for by the dealer and would collect the over payment of report and think of reporting dealer to State Attorney General.

Here is the law in Massachusetts: https://www.mass.gov/regulations/830-CMR-64h14-discounts-coupons-and-rebates
I agree that you should look into your state's tax law. Every state is different. I know for a fact that Washington state you are paying taxes before incentives.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
I worked a 2 vehicle deal for me and my woman. I got a Mojave, so it was hrder to really put the screw to them on that one. I did the best i could and got that at 10-11% below MSRP, but traded my 2500 cummins for $8k more than i paid new 2 years ago. (I negotiated like hell on that one too). Got hers for 28% off MSRP Which i was pleased with. All in we saved over $20k.

if youre willing to be a touch flexible on color and options, and negotiate for something on the lot, you’ll come out ahead of someone who is particular.

Sponsored

illinidave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Working on a '21 Willys right now (dealer trade with another location); local dealer isn't willing to go lower than the 1% below invoice supplier pricing I qualify for through work. May just work through the dealer that has the jeep on lot.

MileHigher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 White Sahara Altitude
I'm looking at a loaded Sahara. I have two dealers in town that I contacted electronically, and 1 (the near one) that I went and took a test drive at.

I used the website configurator on Jeep to be able to send them what I want. Nothing even close in stock, so I am going to order.

Do I just tell them, I have my config that I want, what is your best deal, I'm shopping the deal to two other dealers. Give me your best price. I don't have a trade in, so it is all cash/loan. I gave them about 50% down see what they could do on financing.

One guy right out of the gate said they would do invoice, but final incentives would have to wait until the car came in.

When people say 5% below invoice, how do normal incentives (it looks like it will be a March delivery) affect the fnal price.

The difference between invoice and 5% is about 2000-$2500. So if there are some cash back offers in March, that would get closer to the '5%'.

Does all cash or a loan matter much? From the initial responses, it doesn't seem so, but all over the internet there are videos about not telling them that you'll pay all cash. I have a 850 FICO, FWIW.

jeep364

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 WK
I'm looking at a loaded Sahara. I have two dealers in town that I contacted electronically, and 1 (the near one) that I went and took a test drive at.

I used the website configurator on Jeep to be able to send them what I want. Nothing even close in stock, so I am going to order.

Do I just tell them, I have my config that I want, what is your best deal, I'm shopping the deal to two other dealers. Give me your best price. I don't have a trade in, so it is all cash/loan. I gave them about 50% down see what they could do on financing.

One guy right out of the gate said they would do invoice, but final incentives would have to wait until the car came in.

When people say 5% below invoice, how do normal incentives (it looks like it will be a March delivery) affect the fnal price.

The difference between invoice and 5% is about 2000-$2500. So if there are some cash back offers in March, that would get closer to the '5%'.

Does all cash or a loan matter much? From the initial responses, it doesn't seem so, but all over the internet there are videos about not telling them that you'll pay all cash. I have a 850 FICO, FWIW.
I think the reason the percentage off invoices are common for good deals - wranglers don't typically get good rebates vs. a grand cherokee, which may have 4k + employee pricing - so that can substantially change the final price if you order and wait for 'new' rebates.

MileHigher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 White Sahara Altitude
I think the reason the percentage off invoices are common for good deals - wranglers don't typically get good rebates vs. a grand cherokee, which may have 4k + employee pricing - so that can substantially change the final price if you order and wait for 'new' rebates.
So like right now, all I see for Sahara's are 0% for 36 months.

azulwavesJL

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys JLU hydro blue
Occupation
Flight Planning Supervisor
I just ordered a 2021 Willys JLU from Neil Carpenter at Demontrond in Conroe, TX. MSRP was $47,965 and got it for $43,207 + TTL. Neil even gave me a lifetime power-train warranty for no added cost. HIghly recommend Neil. Super easy with no haggling.
Sponsored