Sponsored

Coming From a Tacoma...Should I be Worried

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
That’s encouraging. I wonder if paint bubbles and steering issues impact reliability rating. Mechanically the wrangler is solid.
Yes, steering issues and paint and trim all impact it. Look at the bubble chart, CR is famous for those bubble charts since the 1940's. Even though we have heard a ton about steering issues, the actual percentage overall of people that have that problem still account for a small overall percentage. 2019 and 2020 significantly improved. The paint rates as much better then average as well, so that is far from a problem in Wranglers. Remember, when people have a problem they complain, but when things are good they most often say nothing.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
CONSUMER REPORTS New Car Issue this month shows a MUCH BETTER THEN AVERAGE reliability rating for the Wrangler and Gladiator in their reliability statistical chart. Showing for 2020 reliability as good or better then any Toyota or Honda. Buy the issue.
Do NOT buy Consumer Reports. That publication is absolute trash!

Their research methods would fail a Market Research 101 course.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic

Although many of their methods can be maddening they are literally the only magazine that accepts no advertising unlike all the car mags out there that get paid to rate vehicles positively. IE Land Rover Discovery Motor Trend Car Of The Year!!. JUNK!!. Worst brand you can buy. I don't love CR, but I do know that they are worth reading to get an estimate of brand reliability.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
they are literally the only magazine that accepts no advertising
While this is true, they can be seen as biased because only subscribers of the magazine get to take their surveys. For as long as I can remember, their loyal base consists of mostly Honda and Toyota owners.

Some of these people back then were biased against the Jeep brand and some are still today.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Paramedic
While this is true, they can be seen as biased because only subscribers of the magazine get to take their surveys. For as long as I can remember, their loyal base consists of mostly Honda and Toyota owners.

Some of these people back then were biased against the Jeep brand and some are still today.
Well, There is a thorough reliability data on Jeeps in their mag. Yes, you can only enter data if you subscribe, however, the subscribers commenting on Jeep reliability have Jeeps and subscribe. So, that said, it kind of kills that argument about Toyota and Honda owners who also subscribe and have Toyota and Honda's. Only those who have those vehicles comment on them. Am I making sense. :)

Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Never have subscribed to that rag.

Do they ask for a VIN or some proof that you own the vehicle that you are commenting?

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Paramedic
Never have subscribed to that rag.

Do they ask for a VIN or some proof that you own the vehicle that you are commenting?
No vin. I would tend to doubt that people who get CR are the type of people purposely commenting on a vehicle they don't own just to screw up the stats. You get 2 vehicles to comment on and most people I would think would rather comment on what they actually own then making up something about one they don't. I get your point, but then it just becomes a conspiracy which is highly unlikely if you pay money to subscribe for the purpose of being informed. People love to hate CR, because it is hard to deny brand reliability or poor reliability based on actual statistical data of actual owners. Just like some Ford guys "hate" Chevy's and visevers. Not just a pissing contest, it's data is actually based on reality and not ego.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Am I making sense.
You are. They lost credibility with me many years ago when my experience with some of the vehicles was far better than how their subscribers rated it. And far worse with the vehicles they praised. The reader’s common criticisms for those vehicles, I found, were not applicable to me.

At the end of the day, in the early days of the internets, I found them to be heavily lenient towards Honda’s and Toyota’s (which is fine) and far too conservative for my tastes. 🤷‍♂️

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Paramedic
You are. They lost credibility with me many years ago when my experience with some of the vehicles was far better than how their subscribers rated it. And far worse with the vehicles they praised. The reader’s common criticisms for those vehicles, I found, were not applicable to me.

At the end of the day, in the early days of the internets, I found them to be heavily lenient towards Honda’s and Toyota’s (which is fine) and far too conservative for my tastes. 🤷‍♂️
I had many of the same experiences with vehicles that CR said were awful, like my Jeeps which I had very good luck with, and even had some poor experiences with a Toyota and a Honda I owned that CR subscribers loved. However, in general they have been fairly accurate with brands and with certain trouble spots. Mixed bag, but I get the subscription because as long as you don't make it gospel, and use it as a general guide along with other information, it can be very helpful. Good luck.

Jimmyrigged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I left my Tacoma for a Rubicon JL, about a year ago. My decision was based on the Tacoma transmission shifting, but more importantly, I rarely used the bed and carried my dogs in the back seats. The transmission shifting was an issue to me as I live in CO, and going to the mountains was a lot of manual shifting with an automatic. I have had no issues with my JL and only oil changes to date.
I have the same story, traded in my ‘18 trd off road on my ‘20 jlur last January. The taco was cramped and I didn’t use the bed enough to need it. I initially bought an automatic Tacoma but that 6 speed is bad! So after 6 months I traded it for the 6 speed manual, which is a great trans but it really exaggerated the strange torque curve of the 3.6. The Jeep on the other hand has been awesome. It’s much more comfortable, engine and trans are fantastic, and I have had 0 issues. I paid 2k more for the Jeep and it makes the Tacoma look grossly overpriced, everything on the Jeep is nicer and there are alot of features for basically the same price.

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
The thing with ConsumerReports and reviews in general, whether it's a news article, user submitted on a website, something on a forum, etc, you rarely have any clue who's actually reviewing the item. Who's the real person behind the review. Anybody who's highly experienced with a certain niche whether it's a profession, a hobby, a random interest they have, etc, can look at related reviews online at this moment and tell 90% of people don't know what they're talking about. I don't mean that in a disparaging way. Just that somebody who commercial fishes every day for a living will not call a generic mid priced fishing reel like a Penn Battle on Amazon "bulletproof". A true coffee connoisseur won't like a Mr Coffee or Keurig to brew their coffee. Meanwhile both on Amazon will have tons of 5 star reviews.

Point is everybody has different needs and expectations. Take reviews online, including those that might fit your bias with a grain of salt. Judge with your own due experience, due diligence and common sense.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Super simple, wander over to the Issues part of the forum. Notice how there are over a 110pages of issues since 2018, now go find another car forum with the same amount threads in their issues section in only 3 years.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
90% of people don't know what they're talking about. I don't mean that in a disparaging way.
This is a great callout that deserves recognition!

A researcher from Harvard noticed a trend among reviews for scented candles before and after the official declaration of the worldwide pandemic. Disclaimer: this post is not meant to be political at all.

Before the pandemic, the reviews for the candles were consistently high, favorable and relatively flat. The reviews took a huge nose dive after as reviewers lost their sense of smell, but refused to acknowledge the problem was with them and instead blamed it on the candle manufacturer.

This is my biggest reason to be wary of consumer reports: people taking their surveys, skewing data and imposing their own biases.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Super simple, wander over to the Issues part of the forum. Notice how there are over a 110pages of issues since 2018, now go find another car forum with the same amount threads in their issues section in only 3 years.
I can't find a vehicle a JLs age, or close to, with any remote activity and an issues category to compare. Find another vehicle loaded with as many as enthusiasts as the Wrangler. This forum is incredibly active, activity correlates with threads/posts in all categories. Find one that's as heavily modded as Wranglers often are. Find one that routinely gets beat the shit out of like Jeep Wranglers do.

Objectively you can't compare a Wrangler issues forum to another vehicles. It's just not comparable.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Objectively you can't compare a Wrangler issues forum to another vehicles. It's just not comparable.
The most obvious one I can think of is the Ford F-150. Also, keep in mind most people absolutely do not beat the shit out of their Jeeps. The off-road crowd is relatively small compared to the amount of people purchasing Wranglers.
Sponsored