Sponsored

JDyj90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 1990 YJ (sold) / 2012 Challenger R/T
Received an email from Jeep to complete a market survey on 2 future product considerations to be added to Wrangler.

“Turn Assist” or 4-wheel steering.

I honestly would love the idea of Turn Assist (locking a rear wheel) to be added to the JL’s. No more having to do 3 point turns in the woods. 😂

Thanks Ford and GM (Hummer EV) for creating competition.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Market Research Survey: Off-Road Turn Assist and 4-wheel Steering B1D3450A-63C1-4A70-B44C-F37EDA9EB39A

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Market Research Survey: Off-Road Turn Assist and 4-wheel Steering 32A1B50A-A5B6-4978-8D90-378C1513FA30

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Market Research Survey: Off-Road Turn Assist and 4-wheel Steering 684107E1-B7AA-465F-9C6E-CD7B5A46FC14
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
That’s really cool.
Competition is great for the consumers. I can’t wait to see what everybody comes out with within the next couple years.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Received an email from Jeep to complete a market survey on 2 future product considerations to be added to Wrangler.

“Turn Assist” or 4-wheel steering.

I honestly would love the idea of Turn Assist (locking a rear wheel) to be added to the JL’s. No more having to do 3 point turns in the woods. 😂

Thanks Ford and GM (Hummer EV) for creating competition.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Market Research Survey: Off-Road Turn Assist and 4-wheel Steering 684107E1-B7AA-465F-9C6E-CD7B5A46FC14

Hope it is reliable and not another complication to a vehicle that is supposed to very simple.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
In my more than 35 year of off roading all over North and South America I can’t think of one time that either of these options would have been really needed let alone used for the average weekend off roader. What is needed more off road is greater wheel articulation, larger factory tires and improved underbody protection. Which would cost a heck of a lot less for the end user then the gimmicks Jeep is looking at.

Competition is great sure, but making a vehicle more complicated with sales gimmicks to fix something that is not broken makes for increased problems over the life of the vehicle.

With the nightmare I and others are having with our JL(U/R) electrical systems failing, I could only imagine how much worst it would be if these gimmicks were optioned in.

Give us engines options without all the ESS, push to start button and eTorque junk, improved electronics , PAINT, non leaking tops, larger tires, better articulation, improved under armor and a sales/service experience more in line with the price point FIRST and then address looking at more gimmicks.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Hope it is reliable and not another complication to a vehicle that is supposed to very simple.
+10.

The Wrangler needs less complexity, not more. That in itself provides a competitive edge. Let the others models and brands lose their bearings in technology encumbrances.

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Gimmick. Watch "off road turn assist" be the tailgate wars for Jeep/Bronco/Toyota

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Rear steer I agree adds tons of complications and requires weaker parts as a steering axle is always weaker and heavier than a similar straight/ non-steering rear. The turn assist would be fun and it literally would add 0 complexity, additional parts, or potential for failures. The wheel sensors, abs, and traction control already work together to do exactly the same thing (apply braking to 1 particular tire). It would be as simple as a software change.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
There are proven research techniques, like conjoint analysis and discreet choice modeling, that help measure (1) interest in a new feature relative to other features, and (2) how much consumers are willing to pay for it. The underlying premise being that consumers do not have unlimited budgets.

Using a survey like this to obtain this type of information is meaningless without forcing some sort of choice, and without stipulating a price.

Sometimes FCA seems to be run by a bunch of 14 year olds.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
In my more than 35 year of off roading all over North and South America I can’t think of one time that either of these options would have been really needed let alone used for the average weekend off roader. What is needed more off road is greater wheel articulation, larger factory tires and improved underbody protection. Which would cost a heck of a lot less for the end user then the gimmicks Jeep is looking at.

Competition is great sure, but making a vehicle more complicated with sales gimmicks to fix something that is not broken makes for increased problems over the life of the vehicle.

With the nightmare I and others are having with our JL(U/R) electrical systems failing, I could only imagine how much worst it would be if these gimmicks were optioned in.

Give us engines options without all the ESS, push to start button and eTorque junk, improved electronics , PAINT, non leaking tops, larger tires, better articulation, improved under armor and a sales/service experience more in line with the price point FIRST and then address looking at more gimmicks.
Spot on....that's why I ended up selling. The electronics and other issues became a major headache. It's a shame that FCA quality is subpar bc jeep's are awesome when they dont have problems.:beer:

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have never been in a situation off-road where I felt that was something I needed. Would it be nice? Sure. But absolutely not worth the complexity or even a few pounds of weight, to me. The JL turns tighter than the JK, for sure, so the only thought I've had on the trail is, "Wow, this thing turns tight!"

Nice to see them asking, though. They are good about this. They did A LOT of surveying and focus groups of Jeep owners before designing the JL, and they listened on most things, especially keeping solid axles, a folding windshield, and even keeping production in Toledo.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There are proven research techniques, like conjoint analysis and discreet choice modeling, that help measure (1) interest in a new feature relative to other features, and (2) how much consumers are willing to pay for it. The underlying premise being that consumers do not have unlimited budgets.

Using a survey like this to obtain this type of information is meaningless without forcing some sort of choice, and without stipulating a price.

Sometimes FCA seems to be run by a bunch of 14 year olds.
That's all probably true in the marketing world, but in the real world, people are forking over $50k for a Jeep. Think about that. And now $70k plus for a 392. Typically, if Jeep offers it and people like it, they'll pay for it. It has worked for them before. And those 14yo's laughed all the way to the bank.

But they'd hear from me that I wouldn't pay anything for it. Up front cost has nothing to do with why I wouldn't want it or need it.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That's all probably true in the marketing world, but in the real world, people are forking over $50k for a Jeep. Think about that. And now $70k plus for a 392. Typically, if Jeep offers it and people like it, they'll pay for it. It has worked for them before. And those 14yo's laughed all the way to the bank.

But they'd hear from me that I wouldn't pay anything for it. Up front cost has nothing to do with why I wouldn't want it or need it.
FCA has had its share of duds: no one wanted to pay $1,000 extra for the 2.0 eTorque, and now people balk at having to pay for eTorque to get the V6.

Jeep thought people would line up to buy JT’s Launch Edition, only have them sitting unsold on dealer lots for months.

To assume that Jeep buyers will simply open their wallets and buy anything Jeep throws at them because they clicked on a box on an online survey is bad research, and is foolish.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
FCA has had its share of duds: no one wanted to pay $1,000 extra for the 2.0 eTorque, and now people balk at having to pay for eTorque to get the V6.

Jeep thought people would line up to buy JT’s Launch Edition, only have them sitting unsold on dealer lots for months.

To assume that Jeep buyers will simply open their wallets and buy anything Jeep throws at them because they clicked on a box on an online survey is bad research, and is foolish.
Well, the total sales numbers say the buyers have basically done just that. The crazy high resale value confirms it. If they didn't, Ford wouldn't be bothering with the Bronco, which btw, will benefit the Jeep. Competition usually gets people on their toes.

At the end of the day, I couldn't be happier with my JLUR. It's the best Jeep I've ever had, easily, by every measure. I've had almost no issues with it and the quality/fit/finish were as good as any vehicle I've owned, which includes Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, GM (several), 4 other Jeeps, and Ford. I've had it for 3 years and almost 42k miles.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the total sales numbers say the buyers have basically done just that. The crazy high resale value confirms it. If they didn't, Ford wouldn't be bothering with the Bronco, which btw, will benefit the Jeep. Competition usually gets people on their toes.

At the end of the day, I couldn't be happier with my JLUR. It's the best Jeep I've ever had, easily, by every measure. I've had almost no issues with it and the quality/fit/finish were as good as any vehicle I've owned, which includes Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, GM (several), 4 other Jeeps, and Ford. I've had it for 3 years and almost 42k miles.
I am very happy with my JL, too.

My original comment was about FCA sending out an email survey with 3 check boxes to gauge consumer interest in something as complex --and expensive-- as 4-wheel steering.
Sponsored