D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I have to ask, new to this and interested in a trailer that is 1) towable, 2) practical and cheap, 3) able to support a roof top tent, act as a kitchen and base camp. Your set up to me looks ideal!

What trailer is this? Set up? Saw the pics but could not tell.
hi there Maddscot-thanks for you kind comments regarding my trailer. Yes, it is simple but very handy and functional. Cost me about $6500 a year ago. Built in the late 90’s in Bend Oregon. One of six only. The quick and dirty of it is that it weighs in at 1800 pounds fully loaded so its an easy tow behind for the Jeep. Roof top tent, Fridge freezer, 12 volt battery with solar charging system, brakes, two outside storage boxes with the lockable doors that make great counter tops. A plastic table with fold down legs nests under the RTT, 10 gallons of water store next to the fridge with an additional 36”X36” area for the BBQ, Skottle, propane, etc. 18” of ground clearance so it will go anywhere the Jeep will. I love this thing. Let me know if you have other questions and I will try to answer them. Cheers, John
Sponsored

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler sport, 6spd manual, 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase
Not exactly small but i have 103ah AGM battery fed through a 40AMP DC-DC charger, 45L fridge in my jeep, have a 32AH trailer battery which will soon be 2 so i can have 64AH, all under bed storage, a shelf, a small cooler in my trailer, 32s with a 3500LB straight axle on the trailer and 33s with soon be be 4.56 gearing axle wise on the jeep
Most of the stuff has been made by me and first time doing alot of this.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer overlanding 20201212_165819
Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer overlanding IMG_20201024_082333_250

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer overlanding 20201213_075844

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Not exactly small but i have 103ah AGM battery fed through a 40AMP DC-DC charger, 45L fridge in my jeep, have a 32AH trailer battery which will soon be 2 so i can have 64AH, all under bed storage, a shelf, a small cooler in my trailer, 32s with a 3500LB straight axle on the trailer and 33s with soon be be 4.56 gearing axle wise on the jeep
Most of the stuff has been made by me and first time doing alot of this.

Nice. I think it's great building you own setup. Lots of guys think you need to have the high dollar stuff and end up not doing anything. As long as it works and gets you out enjoying yourself.

OP
OP
D90John

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Punk-
Nice looking trailer. Looks as if you have a permanent bed/ mattress in there which must be nice when the weather goes south and you need a place to chill for a while. You focused on battery power. I may have missed it but you also have the opportunity to add solar charging; either with a remote panel you deploy at a camp site or a more permanent version mounted to the top of your trailer. I say that because of the obvious. Battery’s are heavy and solar charging not so much. You trailer looks as if it will serve you as well as those expensive ones for a fraction of the price. Well done and keep the pictures coming. After you are on the trail using it for a while let us know what mods and adjustments you make. Happy Trails Sir-

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase
Punk-
Nice looking trailer. Looks as if you have a permanent bed/ mattress in there which must be nice when the weather goes south and you need a place to chill for a while. You focused on battery power. I may have missed it but you also have the opportunity to add solar charging; either with a remote panel you deploy at a camp site or a more permanent version mounted to the top of your trailer. I say that because of the obvious. Battery’s are heavy and solar charging not so much. You trailer looks as if it will serve you as well as those expensive ones for a fraction of the price. Well done and keep the pictures coming. After you are on the trail using it for a while let us know what mods and adjustments you make. Happy Trails Sir-
I live in a more northern spot in canada (Nova scotia) so currently i get like 7 hours a day of sunlight so basically from mid sept until march we barely get useable sun for any system under 400watts, currently my plan is to upgrade crank battery (group 94) and run the cascadian system on the hood then get a 160 watt renogy panel and mount to a roof rack and get the DC-DC/MPPT hybred 50 amp model and charge house batteries that way.

Also i actually live in my jeep and trailer so the perminate bed is super nice, the only annoying thing right now is when i get clothes its all under my bed so i have to hold the mattress up as i grab undies and socks haha

My trailer is kinda light i mean i have actually more storeage then i thought i needed so it is really nice

Sponsored

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase
Nice. I think it's great building you own setup. Lots of guys think you need to have the high dollar stuff and end up not doing anything. As long as it works and gets you out enjoying yourself.
My set up for what it is, is kinda high dollar but thats the price you pay when youre learning, i already know way more then i thought i would ever pick up

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
My set up for what it is, is kinda high dollar but thats the price you pay when youre learning, i already know way more then i thought i would ever pick up
Your trailer is remarkably similar to my own build. I dont sleep in mine unless I have to. I built it to take my dirt bike. It's 5'6" built on a 4x8 utility trailer with a 3500lb axle with brakes that arent hooked up YET.

I will be living out of my jeep and trailer for about 3-5 months. I bought a Gazelle and plan on base camping in that unless weather is REALLY bad. Then I will get in the trailer where it is insulated.

I tested the loaded trailer in some really nasty uphills and stupid rocky steep down hills. It performed amazing with only a bent license plate. Pretty happy with it and hope it will last the two years I have planned for it.

Good luck with your build. I'm learning too!

OP
OP
D90John

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Willian and Bob- I don’t know your situations or your ages but the fact that you have built up your own trailers from scratch and are either living in them or are in a long term relationship with them is pretty amazing. Kudos to you both. I am lucky enough to have purchased a late 1990’s one off built trailer that, in my opinion had evolved through the build/ modify/ build process with just minor modifications by myself to fit the needs of my wife and I during 1-3 weeks of overlanding. Living out of an ultrasmall off road trailer for an undetermined amount of time is pretty cool. I find that I end up being a bit narrow minded even at 70 years old not considering where others live, the demographics and other things that may effect there thoughts regarding trailer build and set up. Continue your focus on what works best for y‘all and please keep sharing your adventures. Thanks- D90John

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Willian and Bob- I don’t know your situations or your ages but the fact that you have built up your own trailers from scratch and are either living in them or are in a long term relationship with them is pretty amazing. Kudos to you both. I am lucky enough to have purchased a late 1990’s one off built trailer that, in my opinion had evolved through the build/ modify/ build process with just minor modifications by myself to fit the needs of my wife and I during 1-3 weeks of overlanding. Living out of an ultrasmall off road trailer for an undetermined amount of time is pretty cool. I find that I end up being a bit narrow minded even at 70 years old not considering where others live, the demographics and other things that may effect there thoughts regarding trailer build and set up. Continue your focus on what works best for y‘all and please keep sharing your adventures. Thanks- D90John
63 and newly retired. My situation is I could buy a nicely appointed trailer but number one I'm too cheap lol, Two no one builds what I need or at least I couldnt find anyone, number three I'm afraid that where I would take my high dollar trailer I'd likely dent it up or damage it somehow. Having one built out of plywood would just take a visit to home depot to repair it. lol

I'm not a craftsman, but I have some skills. Some of the stuff I've done I think were borderline brilliant (likely in my eyes only lol ), other stuff aaaah, please look the other way. lol

My tentative plans are leaving AZ, hit the east coast to visit with family then north in Canada. Years ago (1985) I did a trip inspired by my mom. While on Prince Edward Island I pondered taking a Ferry ride to Newfoundland but nixed it (again due to my cheapness ;) ) I've always regretted that decision. I'd like to remedy that this summer.

My son wants me to chronicle my adventures on Youtube. He is doing his masters on some kind of digital internet technology and can give me pointers. If I do it and it ends up being fun should be interesting.

Love your pics and setup. Keep enjoying!

Below a quick first test ride the day after thanksgiving. Had a nice sandwich up in the mountains....turkey of course!
Found a few bugs in the setup and subsequent test rides show an improvement.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer overlanding IMG_4520

OP
OP
D90John

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Nice trailer and Jeep. Funny. Same table I used for about 15 years. Worked great but I would occasionally set stuff too hot on it!! If the Covid dies down and the border to Canada opens up we will be headed for Alaska to visit friends and catch a few fish this coming June. Enjoy

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Nice trailer and Jeep. Funny. Same table I used for about 15 years. Worked great but I would occasionally set stuff too hot on it!! If the Covid dies down and the border to Canada opens up we will be headed for Alaska to visit friends and catch a few fish this coming June. Enjoy
too funny. I just got a new aluminum table for Christmas and it was for the same exact reason. haha

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase
My current plan is a bit more tinkering then this trailer will be prettyy much set then its all jeep stuff, i plan to hopefully turn this in to an off grid base camp on land in a few years, then build a 2nd smaller trailer with solar and all that, that trailer will be kitted for 2-3 week stints at most so more out door storage and lower roof hieght as well as a better thought out build haha

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase
Your trailer is remarkably similar to my own build. I dont sleep in mine unless I have to. I built it to take my dirt bike. It's 5'6" built on a 4x8 utility trailer with a 3500lb axle with brakes that arent hooked up YET.

I will be living out of my jeep and trailer for about 3-5 months. I bought a Gazelle and plan on base camping in that unless weather is REALLY bad. Then I will get in the trailer where it is insulated.

I tested the loaded trailer in some really nasty uphills and stupid rocky steep down hills. It performed amazing with only a bent license plate. Pretty happy with it and hope it will last the two years I have planned for it.

Good luck with your build. I'm learning too!
If youre running a 2 door like me, i suggest lengthening the neck, it will make towing ALOT easier, also backing up wont be so nerve wracking

But thats sick! I wish i could put a bike on mine, but its too heavy as is now.

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase
63 and newly retired. My situation is I could buy a nicely appointed trailer but number one I'm too cheap lol, Two no one builds what I need or at least I couldnt find anyone, number three I'm afraid that where I would take my high dollar trailer I'd likely dent it up or damage it somehow. Having one built out of plywood would just take a visit to home depot to repair it. lol

I'm not a craftsman, but I have some skills. Some of the stuff I've done I think were borderline brilliant (likely in my eyes only lol ), other stuff aaaah, please look the other way. lol

My tentative plans are leaving AZ, hit the east coast to visit with family then north in Canada. Years ago (1985) I did a trip inspired by my mom. While on Prince Edward Island I pondered taking a Ferry ride to Newfoundland but nixed it (again due to my cheapness ;) ) I've always regretted that decision. I'd like to remedy that this summer.

My son wants me to chronicle my adventures on Youtube. He is doing his masters on some kind of digital internet technology and can give me pointers. If I do it and it ends up being fun should be interesting.

Love your pics and setup. Keep enjoying!

Below a quick first test ride the day after thanksgiving. Had a nice sandwich up in the mountains....turkey of course!
Found a few bugs in the setup and subsequent test rides show an improvement.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer overlanding IMG_4520
Im in NS, so newfoundland is only a hop, and a skip!