Sponsored

FCA Merger effect on Jeep?

tartangirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
The Jeep moniker has constantly been bought or merged upon throughout its existence (Willy to AMC to Chrysler to Stellantis). Dont be surprised if someone else owns Jeep like ten years from now (ex Toyota or Ford or VW or Honda, etc).

Regardless of ownership, nobody dares to touch the Jeep business model as it is such a big cash cow with a very loyal fan base.
I wish ANY of the car companies you mention would just buy Jeep!
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
@ThirtyOne. I kinda agree on the Jeep CUV from a sales standpoint. The Wrangler draws many dreamers in, then practicality, reality or maybe their spouse realizes that a small wagon is a better choice for their needs than a Wrangler. The new Cherokee has turned out to be a fairly good AWD/FWD car. The Renegade, well... Compass, Patriot those were awful. The new Compass is a little better, but it and the Renegade do more damage than good to the brand, in my opinion.

I don't think 3 rows are important in a midsize SUV/CUV. The 3rd row causes all of the seats to be made smaller just to fit the 3rd row and causes too many comprimises in my opinion. I have never been happy in one that I have driven or rode in. The GC and 4runner sell just fine without the 3rd row. The new full size Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer will have the proper space for 3 comfortable rows. The Ford Flex was a great CUV/wagon with 3 comfortable and usable rows. It had a stupid name and was too low to the ground, so they never sold well. I honestly think the 3rd row issue has more to do with auto journalists than actual buyers.

Jeeps small wagons/crossovers need to take a lesson from Subaru. Get people enthusiastic about them. Make them more rugged and capable. Right now, if I was in the market, I would take a CrossTrek over a Compass and an Outback over a Cherokee.
I agree the Jeep CUVs aren't great. But similar to the Subaru they are not generic. I think the Bronco Sport may have potential too.

But I don't agree on the 3rd row. These are vehicles in the same class as the Grand Cherokee:

Dodge Durango, Ford Explorer, 4 Runner, Subaru Ascent, Kia Telluride, Chevy Traverse, Hyundai Palisade, Lexus GX. All have 3 rows except the 4 Runner. And it doesn't sell just fine. The 4 Runner sells like 125,000/year.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
We had a GX460 for a couple years. It would have been much better as a 2 row with a bigger dedicated back seat and more thigh support in the front seats. Most young families these days are smaller. I can understand needing to compete though. A CUV offers more room for a meaningful 3rd row vs a body on frame SUV.

The term SUV needs to be redefined. Anything without a trunk is now given that name. From a Mustang MachE to a Nissan Juke to a Chevy Suburban. Even vars that I consider 4 door hatchbacks like a Mercedes GLC

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
The Wrangler is designed in the USA and built in the USA. It is a unique vehicle and only very few of its parts would be interchangeable with other vehicles in the FCA portfolio.

The Wrangler is safe from any radical changes.

The other Jeep branded vehicles are all based on other vehicles in the FCA portfolio. Many parts are interchangeable. And yet each Jeep vehicle has a "Trailhawk" edition with special off road capability - locking diffs or whatever. If the Trailhawk versions were ruined, the sales would plummet.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I think they will focus on crossovers more than sedans and their cars tend to be a little small and underpowered for US tastes. But they could definitely be modified to be successful here in the right segment.
A Small Diesel would be welcome in my driveway, but given the EPA's draconian regs after the VW mess... I doubt they would be allowed. The 2.0 turbo would be a good sporty engine for it. My brother's boss has an Alfa with that engine upgraded to around 340 Hp...

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Perhaps a return to " simple, no frills " vehicles, priced in the 20s, would resonate in the New Economies dictated by Covid , and the economic ripples of unemployment that are spreading as we speak. Appliances, with good quality and warranty, as an antidote to over priced, under warrantied, offerings that will be impossible for us to repair once warranty runs out. Business History repeats itself, Lee Iacocca, thank you

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
That wasn’t Dumbler, that was Chrysler. PT Cruiser was developed under Chrysler, and what a great product it was.

IMO, the reason suppliers keep dropping the ball is because FCA keeps changing specs at the last moment and squeezing them on cost. At some point something has to give.

Also, by the late 1990s, Chrysler had transformed its manufacturing into one of the most efficient in the industry. Things got a little more complex under Daimler. But in 10 years Fiat has turned these Jeeps into a nightmare to fix.
the initial 01-05 where Chrysler design, the refresh was all on the Dumbler cost accountants, decontent, cheapen up the interior, go ask any tech bout the cheapened up wiring harness after 06-10. look at he 05 Durango, what a POs interior all from the Dumbler people, ditto the WK ,could go on and on, know a few folks who worked during those bleak times and stupidity of the Dumbler regime. All kinds of stories of them cheating and stealing the 18 billion Chrysler has in the Kitty back in 98.

Do you know when Dumbler dumped the carcass on Cerebus that Dumbler charged Chrysler 500$ liscense per NAG 1 5 spd, hence they put the 42LE in the 3.5 LX cars because Dumbler was screwing them.

Per FCA, at least Marchionne put $$ into the interiors, note the difference between a good interior and the horrendus plastic they used to have is about 100$, but that is how they were run under Dumbler.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This is not good news: https://www.autonews.com/automakers...take-fca-psas-stellantis-minister-tells-paper

France already owns a stake in PSA, and Italy has owned a stake in Fiat, which has complicated matters over the years, and is part of the reason both automakers had brushes with bankruptcy in the past. A newspaper reports that the Italian government now wants at seat at the table at Stellantis, too.

European governments invariably end up using auto jobs as political football.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
This is not good news: https://www.autonews.com/automakers...take-fca-psas-stellantis-minister-tells-paper

A newspaper reports that the Italian government plans to take a stake in Stellantis. France already owns a stake in PSA, and Italy has owned a stake in Fiat, which has complicated matters over the years, and is perhaps part of the reason both automakers had brushes with bankruptcy in the past.

Now the Italian government wants a seat at the table at Stellantis, too.

Governments end up playing political football with auto jobs.
:headbang:

Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque

France already owns a stake in PSA, and Italy has owned a stake in Fiat, which has complicated matters over the years, and is part of the reason both automakers had brushes with bankruptcy in the past. A newspaper reports that the Italian government now wants at seat at the table at Stellantis, too.

European governments invariably end up using auto jobs as political football.
Can this be an effect of the latest merger? https://carbuzz.com/news/jeep-will-build-wranglers-outside-of-america

Per the article, Jeep plans on making many models in India including the Wrangler in a bid to be competitive. This is probably for the Indian domestic market only as India slaps a 200% duty on anything imported in order to save their local jobs/industries. A base JLUR for example can cost North of $80k in India due to that tax.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Sometimes I wish AMC would make a comeback and acquire only Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Cherokee. And bring back the Jeep 2 door Scrambler. Make Jeep American again. The rest of the "Fiat want to be a Jeep" lines can go away.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Can this be an effect of the latest merger? https://carbuzz.com/news/jeep-will-build-wranglers-outside-of-america

Per the article, Jeep plans on making many models in India including the Wrangler in a bid to be competitive. This is probably for the Indian domestic market only as India slaps a 200% duty on anything imported in order to save their local jobs/industries. A base JLUR for example can cost North of $80k in India due to that tax.
Sounds to me more like a response to the recent ruling allowing Mahindra to bring its Roxor Jeep-clone to North America. This seems to be FCA’s way to bring the fight right to Mahindra's home turf.

https://driving.ca/jeep/auto-news/n...etitor-gets-the-green-light-for-north-america

Last edited:

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
New gen 3-row “Grand Cherokee L” debuts tomorrow. What a dumb name.

4A4EDDA0-F0A2-4A2A-B8C3-DFEDF8975001.png