Rock Light Suggestion

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Another member in another thread turned me on to DCS Lighting. I hope to be installing them this coming weekend. These pop into the holes already in the frame. https://dcslighting.com/shop/ols/categories/jl

I went with yellow hoping the color will not attract as many bugs yet still be very bright. All the connectors are deutsch waterproof connectors. 11 lights and no drilling? Color me sold! Can't wait to install them.
Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Another member in another thread turned me on to DCS Lighting. I hope to be installing them this coming weekend. These pop into the holes already in the frame. https://dcslighting.com/shop/ols/categories/jl

I went with yellow hoping the color will not attract as many bugs yet still be very bright. All the connectors are deutsch waterproof connectors. 11 lights and no drilling? Color me sold! Can't wait to install them.
Those would be killer if they came in RGB to adjust the color.

Yellowssm

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@Yellowssm can you give more details on those aux switches? Obviously aftermarket? Is it plug and play with the current aux switches from Jeep? Meaning if I got the aux switches from factory could I pop those out and just plug these in so I would have those cool lighted buttons and actual names for the things I have?

Thanks.
voswitch jl300 on Amazon. Had them installed so don’t know the details

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

How did the install go?

Sponsored

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
How did the install go?
Pretty straight forward once I figured out the instructions. The hardest part is routing and securing any wiring neatly and out of the way that doesn't run through the frame. Actually not hard, just time consuming. The Instructions say to start on the passenger side and locate a hole in the frame. I looked for about 30 minutes until I reread the instructions and noticed it later said "repeat on the passenger side". Basically saying passenger side twice. I went back under and looked on the driver side and finally found the hole. Looked back at the passenger side and there is a harness plug and small heat shield covering the hole that I just spent 30 minutes looking for! At least my abs got a work out! My rig is a diesel so I don't know if this harness/shield is diesel specific or not and was just overlooked when they wrote the instructions.

So all in all the install was pretty easy and I'm pretty happy with them. No drilling at all which I like. The prefabbed wiring harness and deutch connectors are great although you have to be careful when pressing the connectors together so you don't push the pins out the back of the plug. Wired into my S-pod no problem. I wanted a clean factory looking install and that's what I got. Now depending on your slider setup wheel tire combo, these may not be for you. Reason I say that is because these lights mount vertically into the frame, all except three that mount in drain holes or the radiator mount. Therefore most of the light aims outwards instead of down at the ground. I'm running Rockslide engineering step sliders which are a little chunky and the lights point directly at the backside of the sliders. The rear frame light points directly at the back of my tire and since I'm running AEV wheels and 35s that are a bit more tucked, the light is blocked a bit. I'm also stock height right now which doesn't help. Once I lift it, it will help the light disperse a bit more. The LEDs are bright enough to still light up everything though.

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Pretty straight forward once I figured out the instructions. The hardest part is routing and securing any wiring neatly and out of the way that doesn't run through the frame. Actually not hard, just time consuming. The Instructions say to start on the passenger side and locate a hole in the frame. I looked for about 30 minutes until I reread the instructions and noticed it later said "repeat on the passenger side". Basically saying passenger side twice. I went back under and looked on the driver side and finally found the hole. Looked back at the passenger side and there is a harness plug and small heat shield covering the hole that I just spent 30 minutes looking for! At least my abs got a work out! My rig is a diesel so I don't know if this harness/shield is diesel specific or not and was just overlooked when they wrote the instructions.

So all in all the install was pretty easy and I'm pretty happy with them. No drilling at all which I like. The prefabbed wiring harness and deutch connectors are great although you have to be careful when pressing the connectors together so you don't push the pins out the back of the plug. Wired into my S-pod no problem. I wanted a clean factory looking install and that's what I got. Now depending on your slider setup wheel tire combo, these may not be for you. Reason I say that is because these lights mount vertically into the frame, all except three that mount in drain holes or the radiator mount. Therefore most of the light aims outwards instead of down at the ground. I'm running Rockslide engineering step sliders which are a little chunky and the lights point directly at the backside of the sliders. The rear frame light points directly at the back of my tire and since I'm running AEV wheels and 35s that are a bit more tucked, the light is blocked a bit. I'm also stock height right now which doesn't help. Once I lift it, it will help the light disperse a bit more. The LEDs are bright enough to still light up everything though.
Great info! Thank you.

I hate all the extra wiring that comes with some of these kits. I’ve got KC RGBs on hand, but don’t dig the mourning options for them.

So I’m looking at these, LUX or maybe the KC Cyclones.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Great info! Thank you.

I hate all the extra wiring that comes with some of these kits. I’ve got KC RGBs on hand, but don’t dig the mourning options for them.

I think you are going to have wiring no matter what set. I am ordering the Oracle colored ones. 8 lights with a couple magnet mounts is $200. I found dealing with Lux even before a purchase left something to be desired and really think they will have issues dealing post purchase so that is why I’m going Oracle

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Some are more conducive to trimming than others.

I’ve got the Aux package but still after a light bar, a pillar lights, rock lights, compressor, winch..... I guess I need an SPod.

Do you can I have multiple LED lights on Aux 3 or 4 in a JLUR? Like rock lights and rack lights combined.

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Some are more conducive to trimming than others.

I’ve got the Aux package but still after a light bar, a pillar lights, rock lights, compressor, winch..... I guess I need an SPod.

Do you can I have multiple LED lights on Aux 3 or 4 in a JLUR? Like rock lights and rack lights combined.
Yes. Just need to make sure your current draw doesn't exceed the capacity of the switch/circuit. I chose to separate all my light groups and accessories which is why I chose Spod. I would have run out of room on my factory switches real quick!

Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Great info! Thank you.

I prefer the cyclone mounts over just about any other rock light. I didn't like the idea of using self tapping and screwing into the body or fender liners. The included Z and L brackets make it super easy and secure.

Ryno77

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
I have the JL300 and installed over the weekend. Install was a breeze. I ran the lead wire through my firewall grommet. It was super easy. I am not an electrical guy. I have done a lot of mods requiring mechanical work, but not much wiring. Guys this was easy. Plus a FRACTION of the S Pod price.

ALso, the LUX light are magnets. So you can virtually mount them anywhere metal. They are STRONG magnets as well.

CaliMat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Do you have pictures of the Jeep at night with the lights on?
Sponsored