Sponsored

Rear locker only?

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
the 4runner off road and pro have a rear locker. The new Bronco black diamond will offer a rear locker. Do you think Jeep will offer a wrangler with a rear locker in addition to the Ruby which has front and rear? I know the Willys has a limited slip and the sport can be ordered with a lsd, just think rear locker would be cool. Thoughts..
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Why not get both? You can engage just the rear of you choose. With the tazer you can even do so in 2wd (drifts, burnouts, donuts). Yes it would be great if you could piecemeal every option, but that just isn't cost effective. That is why the different packages usually come in groups, ie cold weather group vs just a drivers side seat heater.

brewdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram; 2014 T&C
The Wrangler Mojave will likely have only rear locker like the Gladiator Mojave.

Forestdawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6 Speed
It's possible. Jeep has shown they adapt to the market. If customers want a rear locker then I don't see why not.

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
They offered rear locker and sway bar disconnect as options in the JK during the 2008 model year. It went away the next year, so I wonder what Jeep didn’t like about it?

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
They offered rear locker and sway bar disconnect as options in the JK during the 2008 model year. It went away the next year, so I wonder what Jeep didn’t like about it?
I think it's the Denali effect. Before gm created the Denali trim, more than 50% of Tahoe's and suburbans were sold fully loaded. If the vast majority of buyers opt for the full rubicon package over a rear locker only set up, it's smart business to steer those who want locking diff/ diffs into the top trim.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
They offered the E-locker on the 2018 JK's so they might in the future.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
In addition to the early 2007-08 X models that had the optional rear locker & e-disco. In later years various JK trims had the $1,500 rear e-locker option; Willys, Moab, Freedom, etc

OP
OP

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
The Wrangler Mojave will likely have only rear locker like the Gladiator Mojave.
I remember talk about the wrangler mojave..is that going to happen?

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i mean you can always add a rear locker thats engageable any time :D

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I think it is plain old marketing. Automakers make a big deal of the rear lockers, so they reserve it to their top-of-the-line levels to charge a premium for it.

I think it would be more realistic if Jeep offered a torsen-based rear LSD, instead of the clutched-based LSD it now offers. It would make for a more durable LSD and a more popular option.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I remember talk about the wrangler mojave..is that going to happen?
I have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting. It was supposed to be out last year. now maybe sometime this year? the odd part is not word around the web on it. I am wondering if the perceived failure of the JT and the Mojave being associated with that are part of the issue? personally That is exactly what I want and planned to do with my 2020 JLUR I sold but will all be factory. I created a new thread a while back asking if anyone on the site who gets inside info has any details, not single reply.

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
I think it may be the fact that the demand for a rear only locker is pretty rare as most people that actually want a locker is for off-road reasons and those that off-road usualy want both and the different in price from having just the rear is probably not worth it and you may as well get both. if you have a purpose specific vehicle like the Mojave Gladiator then its a bit different cause for increased speed stability you don't want a full locker in the front but otherwise, its not super viable in a normal vehicle where you would want it for off-road only. Thats the reason I think it went away, not enough demand as most people just went for the Rubicon instead and it makes more sense marketing wise to try to push people to the Rubi instead of letting people buy a tiny lower one and build it themselves, so if you lessen the difference between the other wranglers and the Rubi, then they sell less rubi's.

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
It’s be cool if the 2022 Wrangler Willys had a rear locker instead of LSD. Keep everything else on that model the same.

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S - V6 8AT - 30/44
They want people to buy Rubicons. If they had a rear locker on a Sport they would sell a lot less Rubicons. The amount of time you need a front locker is minimal for 90% of people that off road.
Sponsored