First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Many dealers allow a lot of senior staff off durning the holidays. When they return, they have to clean up the mess.

This sounds silly, but here’s how I initially judge a dealer and whether or not I want to try do do business with them.
-Does the staff dress like Chris in the Sopranos? Or the Jehova’s Witness knocking on your door? Bad dress clothes, gelled hair, cartoon ties etc. I prerfer a place where they wear polo shirts and jeans.
-Is the first thing the sales rep asks after a limp handshake is what kind of payment I’m looking for. Just ask me what I’m interested in and tell me what the buy it now price is. I can figure payments out on my own.

If I walk into a dealer like that, I turn around and leave. That’s probably why I’ve never owned a Toyota or Honda. But many Jeep dealers are getting this bad.
Sponsored

zscooby

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU white Rubicon, 2019 BMW R1250GSA 2019 Honda Talon 1000x
I've been a finance manager at car dealer for 25 years, they can't do that, unless you signed something that if there is a mistake on the contract you agreed to resign.(if there was a mistake)as long as you have an properly excuted contract they no leg to stand on!

Last edited:

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
As has been said, this is very shady...

I believe (but could be wrong) that the document you sign that requires you to work with them on paperwork errors doesn't pertain changes in contract terms. It's only there to handle small mistakes. Changing contract terms is a breach of contract.

I would also be asking questions about what happened to your old car during the 3 week period - who's been driving it, who put on these miles that would impact your original lease, that scratch wasn't there when I turned it in, etc etc etc.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I've bought many vehicles in FL and what we sign is a limited power of attorney that gives the dealership permission to correct any clerical mistakes on your behalf. For instance if the VIN was incorrect in the paperwork, or the color of the vehicle, things like that. It does NOT give them permission to rescind a deal because they made a mistake in the pricing, or change the pricing after the fact. If they could do that, it would be happening all the time.

This instance is BS, but its going to be hard to get the deal back once the vehicles have been exchanged.

PHX2IAD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Your purchase agreement (not the lease contract) with the dealer will clarify some of the rights the dealership and you have relative to their mistake. My guess is there is a clause in the agreement that states if the purchase is subject to lender approval of your contract, the dealer and the customer have the right to terminate if there is a change that costs either party money.

I work in the car business, if I had to guess they made a residual value error (used the 36 month percentage at 48 months). They could swallow the $5400 difference and recontract you with the corrected residual value or terminate as they are probably allowed to do. Let us know how it works out.

Sponsored

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Your purchase agreement (not the lease contract) with the dealer will clarify some of the rights the dealership and you have relative to their mistake. My guess is there is a clause in the agreement that states if the purchase is subject to lender approval of your contract, the dealer and the customer have the right to terminate if there is a change that costs either party money.

I work in the car business, if I had to guess they made a residual value error (used the 36 month percentage at 48 months). They could swallow the $5400 difference and recontract you with the corrected residual value or terminate as they are probably allowed to do. Let us know how it works out.

Yep. Best post so far. All the suggestions of retaining an attorney are hogwash. Waste of time and money. We are not talking wrongful death here.

Sam

zscooby

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU white Rubicon, 2019 BMW R1250GSA 2019 Honda Talon 1000x

the dealer can‘t take the car back, she signed a legal binding contract. The dealer will have to pay the difference to the leasing company. I’ve had to do that on overstated residuals before. It sucks but the dealer would have to pay The leasing company.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I wouldn’t sign anything else for them.
Either insist they honour the original contract or at the very, very least give you 100% of your deposit back.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
She technically doesn’t have a contract to pay for or drive the vehicle she is in. She went thru the process of stopping the first lease and starting the second. She shouldn’t be back in the first vehicle at all. It’s not hers. Where is her payment going now? Which vehicle is insured? Which one is registered to her? Did she actually get the 5k back? This is getting crazy. Next things to happen will be human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
There's a lot of posts here. I scanned, and didn't see one thing that's likely pretty important.

Jeep A was a lease. It was turned in early for Jeep B. Generally, that means dealership handled the buyout as an option to terminate the lease. Three weeks later, there is no lease on Jeep A. The new title for Jeep A should be processing through the DMV with dealer listed as owner. OP shouldn't legally own the original Jeep anymore. Dealer doesn't own the new Jeep they didn't let her take home.

It's been three weeks, OP should be able to log in and see if old lease is active or if a payment is due or overdue.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I did sign the original lease paperwork and they accepted and cleared my 5K. I have excellent credit so that wasn't a problem. They did discover an error on their part. When they called, they just said that they needed me to sign something but didn't specify. I made the transaction on my own (without my husband) and I think they are as you said trying to strong arm me into a higher payment.
And I hate to say it(I really dont), but this is common when women come in, by themselves to buy or negotiate for cars. I've been on the phone with my wife when she was about to be pressured into signing for a new car. I told her to tell the manager and salesman, right there that the deal was unacceptable, and walk out, without another word. She did, and before she made it home, they left messages on her phone, knocking several thousand off.
I took her to another place, and helped negotiate, for $5K less than the best offer from anyone previously.
The dealers look for weak men and women, who are hell bent on haven't to have a shiny new car. The salesman and managers tag-team the buyer, confuse them with predetermined lines to sucker them into signing. After it is all said and done, the ripped off buyer is too embarrass to admit they got suckered.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
@Santana70, this really sucks. Sorry you are going through this.

But please answer this questions for us:

How on Earth did the dealer end up getting your keys back for the leased vehicle in question? I cannot see a situation where a dealer calls me to come in and sign some paperwork but says, "Please hand over your keys before we discuss this." I would be like, "F*#@ you! Tell me why I am here!" No way in hell I hand over my keys.

How did this happen!?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This is why the vehicle buying/ leasing experience is so universally reviled , the butt of jokes and cautionary tales..
I wish everyone could have a " good" sales experience, like my dealer, straightforward, no games, a simple transaction. How does Tesla do this, is that a sales model ?

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
@Santana70, this really sucks. Sorry you are going through this.

But please answer this questions for us:

How on Earth did the dealer end up getting your keys back for the leased vehicle in question? I cannot see a situation where a dealer calls me to come in and sign some paperwork but says, "Please hand over your keys before we discuss this." I would be like, "F*#@ you! Tell me why I am here!" No way in hell I hand over my keys.

How did this happen!?

Yes, I would have told that guy to fuck off.
Sponsored