Not open for further replies.

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
I decided to go with Clayton 2.5 in overland plus after a couple emails with ICON. They told me with their springs we will get over 5 degree caster on their stage 3 however, after seeing most of the alignment sheets I don’t think that’s the case.

STRUBI

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon Unlimited
I decided to go with Clayton 2.5 in overland plus after a couple emails with ICON. They told me with their springs we will get over 5 degree caster on their stage 3 however, after seeing most of the alignment sheets I don’t think that’s the case.
We have the icon stage 3. Our caster after install was 5.4 and 5.7. Can't remember which side was which.

Renhilio

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Resurrecting an old thread. Any ideas why the caster reported by STRUBI is so different than OLLOMANs? OLLOMAN's caster is underwhelming and concerning for me, but getting 5+ like STRUBI changes things. I am interested in moving into the IVD world, but the sub 4 caster is a dealbreaker.

OLLOMAN

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Technology Consultant
Resurrecting an old thread. Any ideas why the caster reported by STRUBI is so different than OLLOMANs? OLLOMAN's caster is underwhelming and concerning for me, but getting 5+ like STRUBI changes things. I am interested in moving into the IVD world, but the sub 4 caster is a dealbreaker.
I'm getting another alignment Thursday and asked the shop if they can get it to 6. I'll let you know how it goes after. Icon recommends 6 on their kits.

Sponsored

Renhilio

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I'm getting another alignment Thursday and asked the shop if they can get it to 6. I'll let you know how it goes after. Icon recommends 6 on their kits.
Please follow up with us. Thank you for doing so!

WhitneyWillys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys
I am a new Jeeper with a stock JLU. And I don't know anything about lift kids as such. But I gather from forums and such that it is advisable to go in for "full" or "complete" lift kits and not settle for "incomplete" ones.

What do I lose or risk or not benefit from, say if I go with stage 1 or 2 or 3 instead of going straight for stage 4? I see the shocks and springs are the same. So I assume ride comfort will be the same. But incrementally links and track bars are getting added. What am I missing if I run without one or more of these additional components.

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Stage 4 will give you everything you needed to correct the geometry after lift. And your Jeep will drive better as well :)

OLLOMAN

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technology Consultant
I am a new Jeeper with a stock JLU. And I don't know anything about lift kids as such. But I gather from forums and such that it is advisable to go in for "full" or "complete" lift kits and not settle for "incomplete" ones.

What do I lose or risk or not benefit from, say if I go with stage 1 or 2 or 3 instead of going straight for stage 4? I see the shocks and springs are the same. So I assume ride comfort will be the same. But incrementally links and track bars are getting added. What am I missing if I run without one or more of these additional components.
like sam said, stage 4 gives you everything you need.

this is my first lifted wrangler so i started at stage 2 to educate myself and knowing i'd prob upgrade later. i previously had icons on my tacoma and fjcruiser but quite different when you also run 37s.

stage 3 with track bars is important to center your axles. stage 4 will get you the optimal alignment, caster, etc.

when i get my alignment thursday, i'll know if stage 3 can reach 5-6 degree caster. if i can't, most likely move to stage 4 where i upgrade the front upper links.

WhitneyWillys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys
like sam said, stage 4 gives you everything you need.

this is my first lifted wrangler so i started at stage 2 to educate myself and knowing i'd prob upgrade later. i previously had icons on my tacoma and fjcruiser but quite different when you also run 37s.

stage 3 with track bars is important to center your axles. stage 4 will get you the optimal alignment, caster, etc.

when i get my alignment thursday, i'll know if stage 3 can reach 5-6 degree caster. if i can't, most likely move to stage 4 where i upgrade the front upper links.
Thanks for the response. I am only trying to learn, so please don't take my statements/questions below otherwise. Going in for a stage 2, while being aware you might need to upgrade further, what were you expecting to find/experience? Is there fairly immediate feedback/discomfort that you feel or experience that would tell you something is off? Or is it more longer term accelerated wear to other components?

Basically what I am trying to figure out is, since Icon have products below their stage 4, and other companies also sell so called "incomplete" kits, as customers going in for them, we would we be abl to tell what to observe while driving? or is it all about long term damage? Thanks again.

Sponsored

OLLOMAN

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technology Consultant
Thanks for the response. I am only trying to learn, so please don't take my statements/questions below otherwise. Going in for a stage 2, while being aware you might need to upgrade further, what were you expecting to find/experience? Is there fairly immediate feedback/discomfort that you feel or experience that would tell you something is off? Or is it more longer term accelerated wear to other components?

Basically what I am trying to figure out is, since Icon have products below their stage 4, and other companies also sell so called "incomplete" kits, as customers going in for them, we would we be abl to tell what to observe while driving? or is it all about long term damage? Thanks again.
This forum is a great community so happy to contribute. I also wished there was more info on the icon kits for JL. I actually followed American Adventure Labs JL build and they did a video review - awesome content.

I was expecting a 2.5" lift as the stage 2 kit stated. I actually got 3.5" lift which I heard happens. The higher your lift, the more likely the axles are off centered which is exactly what happened. My front was 1" shifted to the driver and rear 0.5" shifted to the passenger. I ran stock wheels and tires for the first couple of months and the height stayed the same.

My wife and I immediately noticed the difference in driving. Turning and bumps did not feel right. Did an alignment, it got slightly better. Then did the track bars and it felt a lot better. The alignment on Thursday is to get the caster to 6 which is what icon and other forum members recommend.

If i can not get there, guess i'm going to stage 4!

End goal is to get it driving as smoothly as possible while being realistic that i am running 37" nitto trail grapplers. It is possible that I am tripping and this is the best it will get but we shall see.

I don't know if upgrading to stage 4 or higher will prolong your parts. I'm sure there may be some impact but based on your actual settings, alignment, etc. You can prob try searching the forum to learn more about that. Let me know if you find good reading material :)

I'll post my alignment specs on Thursday. Hope this helps!

WhitneyWillys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys
This forum is a great community so happy to contribute. I also wished there was more info on the icon kits for JL. I actually followed American Adventure Labs JL build and they did a video review - awesome content.

I was expecting a 2.5" lift as the stage 2 kit stated. I actually got 3.5" lift which I heard happens. The higher your lift, the more likely the axles are off centered which is exactly what happened. My front was 1" shifted to the driver and rear 0.5" shifted to the passenger. I ran stock wheels and tires for the first couple of months and the height stayed the same.

My wife and I immediately noticed the difference in driving. Turning and bumps did not feel right. Did an alignment, it got slightly better. Then did the track bars and it felt a lot better. The alignment on Thursday is to get the caster to 6 which is what icon and other forum members recommend.

If i can not get there, guess i'm going to stage 4!

End goal is to get it driving as smoothly as possible while being realistic that i am running 37" nitto trail grapplers. It is possible that I am tripping and this is the best it will get but we shall see.

I don't know if upgrading to stage 4 or higher will prolong your parts. I'm sure there may be some impact but based on your actual settings, alignment, etc. You can prob try searching the forum to learn more about that. Let me know if you find good reading material :)

I'll post my alignment specs on Thursday. Hope this helps!
Thanks again. It helps immensely. There is so much to learn and research here. One thing after another. I am almost considering looing up Community College classes on Automotive engineering :).

ClusterHead

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal JLUR Recon, 2014 HD Street Bob, Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Data Managenet Lead
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone running the Stage 8?
Yes, I am running the IVD Stage 8 on a 2020 JLU Rubicon Recon. I went directly with the Stage 8 because I learned my lesson the hard way with my previous Jeep.

I had bought a used 2009 JKU that had a 3.5" lift and 37" tires. I didn't know much back then. To keep my story short...at some point in time, I started experiencing extreme death wobble whenever my speedometer hit 30-35 mph. The first time it happened I thought I had a flat tire.

Needless to say, I did a lot of research and learned that the previous owner had installed the bare minimum to lift the Jeep and the 37" tires. Geometry was terrible and many various joints had been worn down to the point that I could wiggle linkages almost an inch. I downgraded to 35"s and the weight difference helped alleviate the death wobble, but the damage was already done. So, when I bought my new JLU, I just bit the bullet and went straight to the Stage 8. I also installed the IVD Steering Stabilizer. I'm running 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I like the upgraded shocks that come in the Stage 8. They allow me to change the stiffness when running offroad. To me, the stage 8 with 37"s. feels very close to stock.

I hope this info is helpful.
-David Y.

Renhilio

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

I think this is a very valid question, and really one that @Icon_Adrian would be best suited to answer. Any thoughts here Icon?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.