Sponsored

Help with Lemon JL (Actual Lemon, not Hellayella)

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
Long time reader, but today I need to post hoping for some help. I have a LEMON JL. Lemon in the sense of my state law definition. The law is absolutely clear. My case is absolutely clear.

I have a 2 door sport, 3.6L 6MT, plain as it gets plus a hard top. I love it when it's working. Since 400 miles new, I have had a check engine light that comes on intermittently, often when on bumpy roads. Code is Cylinder 2 Misfire. It now has more than 16,000 miles and 1.5 years of ownership. My Jeep has been in the dealer countless times trying to fix the issue, including a week in Colorado during a vacation. Dealers take it in, swap coils, plugs even pulled the cam and replaced parts deep in the engine. Parts swapping without real diagnostics. I suspect it's electrical, especially since it's happened from new. I understand these things are difficult to diagnose, especially when intermittent. But enough is enough. Lithia Jeep (Portland Jeep dot com) has great sales, great parts and accessories, but a complete joke for service department.

FCA refuses to help with a buy back. No dealer can fix it. I am told that I am stuck and FCA won't support me. If FCA would just take care of their issue, I would order another, just in a different color to feel like I've moved on from this piece of junk. Otherwise, I have a deposit on a Bronco.

FCA is a garbage company who will take your money and refuse to support you when the vehicle they sold continues to be a problem.

Has anyone been successful with FCA on a buy back?
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
A few people here on the forums have, if I were you I'd contact a lawyer who specializes in "Lemon law" in your state. Apparently in Oregon you can claim up to 3 times actual damages as well as the manufacturer having to pay all your lawyer fees and court costs. If FCA wants to be douches I would shoot for the moon on suing them.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
As much as they hate capitalism and free enterprise over in that country the courts should take FCA to the cleaners for you. Go for broke!

Sorry you have to deal with the trouble though.

OP
OP
longlivethemanual

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
Thanks for all the encouragement. I just stopped by the dealer and got a printout of the service history among the countless times theyā€™ve tried to fix the same issue.

The engine misfire happens at the worst times resulting in stumbling and loss off power. Then magically it goes away by the time I reach the service department. A code is typically stored, although there are times when the check engine light has come on without storing a code.

I take this vehicle deep into the wilderness here out west and wonder if Iā€™ll come home. Itā€™s what a Jeep is for, right?

Iā€™m getting the name of an attorney recommended by someone at the dealer, having success in this area and going down that path next. Iā€™ve been patient long enough and itā€™s time to resolve this issue.

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Sorry to hear. Your best bet is get with a lemon law lawyer in your state. Manufacturers will fight you every step ofthe way on lemons, whether they are actually in the wrong or not- the exception being maybe if you almost die and they want to avoid a real big lawsuit and bad PR.

Give this a watch- it's a bit long but there is a ton of good information in there on the laws and the process: Sam Crac talks to a Lemon Law Attorney- Youtube

Good luck with the Bronco- I sincerely mean that. It looks like Ford did their homework. I just hope for your sake it goes better than when they launched the new gen Explorers.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
It may be easier to go way off road somewhere and forget to set the emergency brake when you step out to admire that 1,000ā€™ drop-off. All kidding aside, there is one unfortunate fact about many (if not most) automobile companies, they are public, which means their #1 focus is the stock price and dividends, not customer satisfaction or brand loyalty. You can find angry lemon customers on most brand forums.

Toyota is the only company who ever blew me away with their service. I had the frame replaced on my 12 year old Tacoma and they put me in a nice rental truck for 3 months. If I didnā€™t haul a heavy 35ā€™ camper Iā€™d still be driving a Tacoma (and my wifeā€™s Jeep).

Good luck!

OP
OP
longlivethemanual

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
Sorry to hear. Your best bet is get with a lemon law lawyer in your state. Manufacturers will fight you every step ofthe way on lemons, whether they are actually in the wrong or not- the exception being maybe if you almost die and they want to avoid a real big lawsuit and bad PR.

Give this a watch- it's a bit long but there is a ton of good information in there on the laws and the process: Sam Crac talks to a Lemon Law Attorney- Youtube

Good luck with the Bronco- I sincerely mean that. It looks like Ford did their homework. I just hope for your sake it goes better than when they launched the new gen Explorers.
Great video, thanks. Iā€™d really prefer to just order another JL rather than a first year Bronco and be back with another lemon. Ford did it right though, by offering more ā€œRubiconā€ capabilities without forcing the creature comforts. I want utilitarian, this why I ended up with a plain Jane JL Sport.

OP
OP
longlivethemanual

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
It may be easier to go way off road somewhere and forget to set the emergency brake when you step out to admire that 1,000ā€™ drop-off. All kidding aside, there is one unfortunate fact about many (if not most) automobile companies, they are public, which means their #1 focus is the stock price and dividends, not customer satisfaction or brand loyalty. You can find angry lemon customers on most brand forums.

Toyota is the only company who ever blew me away with their service. I had the frame replaced on my 12 year old Tacoma and they put me in a nice rental truck for 3 months. If I didnā€™t haul a heavy 35ā€™ camper Iā€™d still be driving a Tacoma (and my wifeā€™s Jeep).

Good luck!
Haha. Maybe I need to go back to Canyonlands NP for a quick photo at top of Shafer Canyon. That manual transmission just wonā€™t stay put. I couldnā€™t leave a mess like that in such a beautiful place. It does sound like Jeep could learn from Toyota.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I had a lemon ā€˜19 JLR because of steering issues. FCA was *not* helpful and I had to file for arbitration. Long story short...I won! They bought back my JLR and I got a replacement JLUR.

I didnā€™t use an attorney because thatā€™s not needed for arbitration.

Sponsored

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
It's a crap shoot - I had a Toyota 4Runner in '95 and it would eat Oil. No leaks and no idea where it was going. For a Year it was in and out of the Dealer shop so much they gave me a loaner to drive around for close to 5 months of that year. They went as far as to replace the engine. In the end we went to Arbitration and in the discussion it came out that the engine wasn't actually changed and since they still had no clue I was given my money back and basically drove for gas only that year.
The '94 Toyota extra cab had 0 problems ever - I think I would still have it if I didn't trade it in for the 4Runner.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
An AG doesn't typically go after a dealer because a customer has a complaint unless it involves life threatening negligence or fraud. Lack of "good customer service" is in the eyes of the beholder and not class action. Are we looking for a jury trial and Fox News to show up too?

I usually find on these threads that the OP hasn't given all of the facts early on (intentional or unintentional). Maybe more will come out as the thread develops.

For some reason people think that hiring an attorney will automatically have you winning the case and all fees will be taken care of, only Kryptonite can take the powerful team out.

The skilled attorney can make you feel like you will conquer the world and you'll be able to start your own reality TV show! Go take a look and see how many of these type of cases are settled and the owners still get the worst end of the stick, although "Super Attorney" will tell you that it's the best you could hope for, no one could have done better.

I'm sorry the OP has problems but once anyone starts down the legal path it becomes problems, spending and waiting. Arbitration is probably the better path and certainly you should use resources to guide you through the process.

Lawyering up should always be your last option. Once you do the dealership and/or FCA will become radio silent.

aleko

First Name
alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler rubicon 2.0 turbo
I had a lemon ā€˜19 JLR because of steering issues. FCA was *not* helpful and I had to file for arbitration. Long story short...I won! They bought back my JLR and I got a replacement JLUR.

My Jeep is 4 monts in the dealership

My Jeep is 4 monts in the dealership for repair.Can you give some more information?Thank you.

Last edited:

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
In 2011 I had a JK that leaked water like a river from day one. Jeep did very little to help. They tried to charge me big money for milage and fees for buying it back.

I called 1-800- lemon law. They told me that they would take my case at no coast to me as long as I did not talk to Jeep until it was all said and done. They where awesome . Long story short I got a brand new Jeep with no fees and such.

If you would like more info about it shoot me a PM.Good luck my friend.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
My Jeep is 4 monts in the deal

My Jeep is 4 monts in the dealership for repair.Can you give some more information?Thank you.
FOUR months?!? What communication have you had with FCA?

Iā€™ll be happy to share my experience.
Sponsored