First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Ok, so does anyone know of a shallower than normal, or adjustable depth, tire carrier? My new wheels are shallower from the rear of the wheel to the back of the holes, so my spare is sitting about an extra 1.5 inches further off the gate than the stock wheels did. Anyone have a fix? Thanks!
As several others have said, the Teraflex Alpha HD covers everything you’re looking for and more.
It also re-mounts your camera in a new housing that attaches via quick connect to the outside of your wheel. Wheel backspace doesn’t matter anymore because it mounts on the outside of wheel.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Could I trouble you for a couple of pics?

Here are a couple pictures, I had about the same spacing as you before I installed the Teraflex HD Alpha. Another benefit is the Teraflex camera housing is a little longer so you will see more of what is behind you and a bit less of the tire!

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Carrier IMG_2195

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Carrier IMG_2192

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Carrier IMG_2193

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
As several others have said, the Teraflex Alpha HD covers everything you’re looking for and more.
It also re-mounts your camera in a new housing that attaches via quick connect to the outside of your wheel. Wheel backspace doesn’t matter anymore because it mounts on the outside of wheel.
Wish I had known this earlier this week before ordering the Smittybilt relocation bracket.

The relocation bracket arrived before New Year’s. I am now waiting for the tailgate reinforcement; it appears to be MIA... :crying:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Wish I had known this earlier this week before ordering the Smittybilt relocation bracket.

The relocation bracket arrived before New Year’s. I am now waiting for the tailgate reinforcement; it appears to be MIA... :crying:
Aldo, you should just return the Smittybilt. I was in the same position. I ordered/received the Mopar relocation kit before discovering the Teraflex. I just returned it and that was that.

Sponsored

364pipeguy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon / 1971 CJ-6
Occupation
retired Steamfitter
When I was using the stock carrier I went with senrgy systems tire bump stops. You can cut them to size and fit where your stock bump stops go.
Paul

cocaine_white

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Ive got the full smittybilt bracket with new hinges and all. Its alright for the price but it does stick out too far imo. Im going to order the teraflex alpha when the full version with hinges comes out later this year

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
Ive got the full smittybilt bracket with new hinges and all. Its alright for the price but it does stick out too far imo. Im going to order the teraflex alpha when the full version with hinges comes out later this year
Has teraflex given any indication when the full version might be coming in 2021?

cocaine_white

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Has teraflex given any indication when the full version might be coming in 2021?
I called them about a month ago and the guy i talked to guessed they'd be selling around spring this year

OP
OP
Leftwork

Leftwork

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JlU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I love this forum, Solutions abound. I just installed the TeraFlex alpha HD tire mount and it’s solved 100% of the problems. Perfect solution, thanks again!

Sponsored

1fastss

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Do your jeep a favor by getting an adjustable carrier. The previously mentioned Teraflex Alpha HD is a great option, if your looking to stick to a 35 or smaller tire. I had one and it was great. Had the inner sidewall pressed into the tailgate rubbers nice and firm. I only replaced it because it was maxed out with a 38x13.5 spare, and I wanted the peace of mind that came with a full hinged tailgate reinforcement with carrier.

I only have rear pics. 1st with a 35 on factory wheels. 2nd with the 38x13.5 on a 17x9 wheel. Both are with the carrier at the highest level.
Did you experience any tailgate sag with the 35" tire? What about rattles?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Did you experience any tailgate sag with the 35" tire? What about rattles?
No noticed sag, but my "35's" were the 315/70-17 bfgoodrich ko2's that are on the small and lighter end of what's considered a 35. Some sag and rattles started after I readjusted the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier to properly fit and support the 38's and wheels with less backspace.

1fastss

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
No noticed sag, but my "35's" were the 315/70-17 bfgoodrich ko2's that are on the small and lighter end of what's considered a 35. Some sag and rattles started after I readjusted the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier to properly fit and support the 38's and wheels with less backspace.
I have 35x12.50x17 K02's. I am on the fence about needing to reinforce the tailgate. Sounds like you were happy with it with the 35's. Is that fair to say?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have 35x12.50x17 K02's. I am on the fence about needing to reinforce the tailgate. Sounds like you were happy with it with the 35's. Is that fair to say?
The Alpha HD carrier did very well with the 35's. I'd probably still have it if I didn't go larger. It's a great carrier.

Here's a couple pics. 1st was taken down low, which shows how high the 35's sit above the mopar steel bumper with the carrier set to the highest position. 2nd was from a standing position, which shows how much window gets blocked.

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Carrier 20200423_092815_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Carrier 20200423_092808

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Here is the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier with the Rugged Ridge carrier. Lets it be nice and snug. 37x12.5/17 KO2's

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Carrier IMG_0981.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Carrier IMG_0967.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: